Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

St202 Mods

mk6phill

Hi,..my gf has recently become a new owner of a 1994 gen 6 st202 celica. we are looking at some subtle interior/exterior mods like clear lights/dials but are unsure about engine wise.

it seems that the cat is on its way out(nice egg smell from exhaust) and are split between a new cat or a decat,..mot'ing wont be a problem as we have some mechanic friends.

will it be better to have a decat or just replace with a new cat

also whats the best filter to go for/around under £100 and are there any other mods we can do to the engine to increase power?

thanks for any help :thumbsup:

Hi there,

a decat would be the best option power wise and financially especially if fitting it at mot time wont be a problem ;) Put this with a custom exhaust system and you should notice the difference. The 3sge engine is highly tuned anyway so to get more power out of it is difficult and expensive to do, as far as filters go I have a TRD panel filter which I trust to provide high filtration whilst still allowing high airflow. I'm sure some of the other well known filter brands probably jeopardise the filtration in order to get the louder noise!!!! It can be cleaned so will last the lifetime of the car. If you want to then you could always mod the airbox, drill holes in it, add a cold air feed which some guys have done to good effect I believe. Whatever you do hope you both enjoy her :thumbsup:

erm hello !!!

the cat is meant to smell of eggs - harmfull co2 is converted to harmless sulphur.

thanks celsteve,..think we will do that then :thumbsup:

lol @ gt4, i know that just normally the exhaust doesnt stink such as bad,..same with the other cars weve had there wasnt a smell like this till the cat gave way.

anyway thanks for the help guy,..were getting it serviced on saturday so will see how it all goes,....think in the end she will want to extract more power so will start looking into manifolds/engine work. :thumbsup:

erm hello !!!

the cat is meant to smell of eggs - harmfull co2 is converted to harmless sulphur.

Sulphur? Thats not a gas though. I think all the cat does is turn carbon monoxide into co2, nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and oxygen, and unburnt petrol vapour (hydrocarbons) into co2.

Where does sulpher come from, is it in petrol? If it is I guess it would slowly build up in the cat perhaps?

erm hello !!!

Sulphur? Thats not a gas though. I think all the cat does is turn carbon monoxide into co2, nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and oxygen, and unburnt petrol vapour (hydrocarbons) into co2.

Where does sulpher come from, is it in petrol? If it is I guess it would slowly build up in the cat perhaps?

Yeah, you can't convert CO2 into sulphur ;) . The eggy smell is hydrogen sulphide which is an unwanted by-product of the convertor and is a toxic gas. think the sulphur comes from the fuel.

at least that one got sorted,..i knew bout the eggy smell jus the sulpahar bit didnt add up,....well least i know not to smell the exhaust from now on,..dont want to be poisioned

Yeah Full ss Exhaust and TRD panel filter seem the best combo for a bit more power !

Thats what i've got and i'm quite impressed by the difference.

B) aaahh sunny San Fran , too hot here :lol::lol:

full stainless steel ditch the cat but save it 4 mot time

ive got the k&n induction but i think the enclosed trd is the way to go :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links