Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent Help!

Mackers

HI all, i'm getting the plastic strips 1/2 ways down the doors sprayed on Saturday by a mte of mine, who is a sprayer in the local marina/boat yard, i was wondering how do i take them off for spraying, reason is, they seem stuck pretty well, are they fitted by thos plastic plug things, or double sided tape???

Any Help Greatfully Taken on board,

thanks Wayne.

Ive always felt they are pop riveted on and also have some sticky substance also.

Either way remove them carefully as you fdo not want to bend them nor do u want to ruin the paint underneath and the cloips else itll be a bugger to refit.

ave you not thought anout masking the car up and getting them sprayed like that? be easier in long run But i spose a ball ache and a bit tricky to spray spot on

Had mine sprayed and fitted by the dealer, so I can only tell you what I'm pretty sure is true due to what I was told, not what I actually know --- that it's simply a strong adhesive. It would certainly make sense as when waiting for the 'fitting' I had my car back in way less than an hour including the time they spend sitting on the keys.

I suppose the only way to be 100% is to take a look from the inside or carefully start lifting an edge and see how you go. If one breaks you can always buy a new grey blank complete with tape. Sorry I couldn't give a definite.

Just strong double sided tape.. they will come off with a tug, but you have to be so careful not to bend them in the process.

I would just buy the toyota cdx ones (which come pre-sprayed) as I really don't think they'l fit back like the originals. ;)

ave you not thought anout masking the car up and getting them sprayed like that? be easier in long run

That would so not give a proper result. It would just flake off all around the ages.

My view is do it properly, or not at all... :yes:

That type of double-sided tape loses its adhesive quality when heated. If that's all that keeps the strips on use a hair-dryer to warms the strips. It will certainly make them easier to remove.

Start with the strip on the wing first. You'll then know what you're up against.

so they not clipped in, so i can remove them all together........ that was my 1st idea and what i wanted to do ideally, for a nice clean look.

On the new latest models (03-05) any strip would be stuck on with just the sticky strips but on the older models, where side strips might well come as standard, they could well be fitted using clips. I'm sure I remember seeing an earlier plated model at a scrappers and the doors had a groove with clip holes down the side where the strips had been... But it could have been another make and model as it was a good couple of years ago.;)

Hell! I'm probably wrong... It's Frid... No wait... Thursday... :)

It is stuck down with strong double sided tape, but also has holes for clips aswell.

You won't be able to get rid of them completely without filling in the holes in the door and re-painting. Obviously not a feasible option..

Apart from losing value on the car and making it very hard to sell...what other benefits do you get from taking these strips off?

p.s. Forget it...I just saw your sig.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links