Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Occational Rumble From Rear Of Avensis

shenderson

Heading along the motorway last week in my shinny new T3-X Hatch I became of a low pitch rumble from the rear of the car that gradually got louder. The pitch of the rumble was directly associated to the speed of the car. I stopped, had a look around and found nothing so at first I thought I had picked up a bit of debris like a shopping bag or newspaper that had since dropped of. Moving away again, there was no rumble. I dropped the car into Toyota for a quick look see and they say nothing is a miss - problem solved! NOT.

It returned again this morning and once again stopping the car solved the problem.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Do you know what the cause / solution is?

Any help greatly appreciated.

PS - Anyidea where the mute button for the stereo is?

Got to be something in the rear brakes. Parking brake shoes perhaps.

Next time it happens I'll have a stab on the handbrake, see if that helps.

Anyone else got any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Try placing some foam draught strip or similar on the rubber pads located in the tailgate guttering, one each side.

Try placing some foam draught strip or similar on the rubber pads located in the tailgate guttering, one each side.

Interesting - whats your thinking?

PS - Anyidea where the mute button for the stereo is?

There's no mute button for the stereo. Just press the volume knob. It's pretty quick to get back on, even if it's a cd that your'e listening to.

Interesting - whats your thinking?

I had a rumble / rattle from the rear of my hatch. Eventually found it was the tailgate, even though it

appeared firm & close fitting. Placing the foam pads on top of the rubber blocks fixed it. The foam may need

to be replaced from time to time.

I had a rumble on mine stoped the car started off again nothing, After closer inspection the surface does change. Went out in car next day nothing, several days nothing. Went on m-way gave it all sorts of different speeds nothing just getting to junction 4 m54 the road surface changes rumble comes back. Could be a long shot but road noise is a big issue with the avensis and different road surfaces causes different noises. Mine sounded like a wheel bearing on its way out. Which it aint it was the road surface.