Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Rear Door

Bill Gillions

I'm sure this must have come up before but I would appreciate some help here. I have a 2002 Rav and I want to know if anyone knows how to get hold of a conversion kit to allow the rear door to open all the way.

My dealer says this is not an option on UK models due to some legislation which I find hard to believe as the Honda CRV rear doors open right out. Any help guys? :crybaby:

I'm sure this must have come up before but I would appreciate some help here. I have a 2002 Rav and I want to know if anyone knows how to get hold of a conversion kit to allow the rear door to open all the way.

My dealer says this is not an option on UK models due to some legislation which I find hard to believe as the Honda CRV rear doors open right out. Any help guys? :crybaby:

These kits are easy to get hold off and some even appear on eBay... They have also come up on here as well.

I'm sure more members will shed some light on it. As for the dealers saying they are ilegal :censor: :censor: they are just being lazy.... Most user stick a strip of high viz on the door so any one driving towards you can see the car, as the door may obscure the rear lights....

Hope this helps.. O and welcome to TOC :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:) some one called sparkydog supplied mine <search this website> one of the best things i had for my r a v , and dont forget the high viz strip or l e ds as well

These kits are easy to get hold off and some even appear on eBay... They have also come up on here as well.

I'm sure more members will shed some light on it. As for the dealers saying they are ilegal :censor: :censor: they are just being lazy.... Most user stick a strip of high viz on the door so any one driving towards you can see the car, as the door may obscure the rear lights....

Hope this helps.. O and welcome to TOC :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers guys, will widen my search

The check strap you speak of is available as a UK item, it just needs a parts man with a bit of knowledge to find it.

When i first got my RAV4 i was going to buy the check strap, then found i could use my back door without needing the extra space.

going by an article i printed off the internet a few years back, it goes by the name of check assembly, back door,USA part number 68650-42040, like i say your local Toyota parts man should be able to cross reference that with a UK part number.......Good luck.

The check strap you speak of is available as a UK item, it just needs a parts man with a bit of knowledge to find it.

When i first got my RAV4 i was going to buy the check strap, then found i could use my back door without needing the extra space.

going by an article i printed off the internet a few years back, it goes by the name of check assembly, back door,USA part number 68650-42040, like i say your local Toyota parts man should be able to cross reference that with a UK part number.......Good luck.

Many thanks - I'll be off to my dealer this week!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks - I'll be off to my dealer this week!! :)

If you haven't fitted them already - have a look at these 2 pages on my website about how I fitted mine.

http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4/hinge.htm

http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4/leds.htm

Phil

Something picked off another thread:

My '06 T180 already has a fully-opening rear door (it has no spare on the back) so you might be able to use the part from the new T180, rather than mucking about with USA parts.

Of course, the '06 part may not fit an earlier model...

My '06 T180 already has a fully-opening rear door (it has no spare on the back) so you might be able to use the part from the new T180, rather than mucking about with USA parts.

Cheers for that, I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello from New Rav4 owner :thumbsup: - Bought a Checkstrap from eBay (id "japartsltd") and fitted in no problems, but the guy DOES says this .....

"Important Note

Please supply your vehicle details when ordering!

The New model is a different checkstrap."

So I guess that answers the question :yes:

• 2 years later...
If you haven't fitted them already - have a look at these 2 pages on my website about how I fitted mine.

Phil

Don't know why the price has come down but I just bought an aircon filter for £10.49 from the main dealer, not the £20.70 you paid!

Phil

Don't know why the price has come down but I just bought an aircon filter for £10.49 from the main dealer, not the £20.70 you paid!

The original post was back in 2006.... prices may have changed somewhat since then... Parts King also offers reasonable prices with a discount for TOC members....

Think from memory the last one I brought was near the £14 mark....cant find the web site I got it from....

I think you will find that Ravs with a wheel on back door dont open up as much as Ravs without wheels on back door due to legal issues,i believe it is illegal for the rear offside lights/reflectors etc to be obtsucted. Check that is legal to fit that part to let door open more as the lights etc will be blind to on coming traffic. I am not 100% sure so please check.

I think you will find that Ravs with a wheel on back door dont open up as much as Ravs without wheels on back door due to legal issues,i believe it is illegal for the rear offside lights/reflectors etc to be obtsucted. Check that is legal to fit that part to let door open more as the lights etc will be blind to on coming traffic. I am not 100% sure so please check.

It's not illegal but Toyota just took the option not to allow the rear door to open fully to 90 degrees as you rightly pointed out the spare wheel cover will block one of the rear lights.... to get over this rear door not opening fully, you can fit a new check strap which then enables this to fully open the rear door, just have to apply some reflective tape or similar to the door side... the newer RAV4 which have no spare have this type of door check strap fitted as standard....but then again they have no spare tyre :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those of us who suffered for so long with a small opening :huh: :huh: ....now have adapted our rear doors to fully open :D :D :D :D (See Here)

All the Rav4s supplied in Ireland have rear doors that open all the way. Normally, anything that shaves a few euro off the price would be removed for the Irish market

And don't talk to me about the recent budget here....... :crybaby: :ffs:

P8310252.jpg