Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloy Wheels

priusy

Does anyone remove the plastic alloy wheel covers when they wash their car?

Is it better for the alloy wheels as it cannot be seen? I have been told that the brake dust can encourage corrosion.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't. The corrosion seems to come from under the laquer outwards not from the outside in.

My alloys are due to be replaced under warranty next week. (30 months, 35K miles)

I don't. The corrosion seems to come from under the laquer outwards not from the outside in.

My Alloys are due to be replaced under warranty next week. (30 months, 35K miles)

Why is it being replaced?

Aahaa!

Mine are doing that too!

Time to have a word with my local dealer it would appear.... ;)

Aahaa!

Mine are doing that too!

Time to have a word with my local dealer it would appear.... ;)

That's what I thought as I have only six months warranty left. I heard other folks say that the alloys were prone to this. Iwasn't sure so asked them to look when I took it in for the air con to be looked at.

The dealer accepted it was corrosion.

What was up with the A/C BD? :huh:

No cooling action. They re-gassed it and put a dye in there to see if they could find a leak. They'll check when it goes in for the the new wheels and leaking rear nearside light cluster.

Last year I also had the centre console arm rest replaced as the cloth had come away on the front edge.

Call me picky but this shouldn't be happening to an £18k car - especially a Toyota!

I'm wondering about taking out a two year extended warranty when the three years is up in Dec this year.

• 3 months later...

toyotas warranty is excellent, they will replace so many things for cosmetic reasons, we've had weeks at work where we've changed 4 or 5 sets of wheels,but if i remember correctly only the 3 year warranty covers cosmetic, and the extended is only for mechanical, might be worth asking when you extend it

regarding aircon though, it might be worth knowing that aircon and brake fluid should only be serviced by train pruis technicians, the air con because the pruis has an electric pump and normal aircon oil is a conductor and will short out the Battery, and the brake fluid cause it is a complicated system which requires a complicated procedure to change it, it should be ok now cause all toyota technicians have to be trained on the pruis to get the ata rating, but its always good to know when you have work done so you can check that the garage knows

Does warranty cover scrapes on the alloy wheel? Kerb scrapes and the likes.

they wont cover scratches caused by kerbing the wheel, but if you can find some rust bubbles or heavy pitting, and it isnt obvious that it is a result of the kerbing, then they will probably cover that, but only if its still in the original warranty

• 2 weeks later...

Is it OK to just remove the plastic alloy wheel covers completely ? I don't like the look of them. Whats the point of having alloys if you just cover them with cheap looking plastic covers ?

• 2 weeks later...

I asked just the same question a while back.

General consensus was `leave them be!`,they`re there for a reason.

ATVB,Mike.

i heard, but not sure if it is true, that the wheels are made of magnesium or something to lower the weight, and the covers are there to stop them getting damaged by kerbing etc, because the wheels are expensive, but like i say i dont know if its true

personally i prefer the look of them without the covers

• 4 weeks later...

OK I picked up my new Prius last week. Pleased with it so far but I still don't like the look of that plastic wheel covers.

I took them off showing the much better looking alloys underneath but at the very centre of the allow wheel there is a hole about 2inch across. I'm wondering it Toyota do a small circular cover to fit this hole.

I'll pop back to the Toyota garage next week and ask.

OK I picked up my new Prius last week. Pleased with it so far but I still don't like the look of that plastic wheel covers.

I took them off showing the much better looking alloys underneath but at the very centre of the allow wheel there is a hole about 2inch across. I'm wondering it Toyota do a small circular cover to fit this hole.

I'll pop back to the Toyota garage next week and ask.

Keep us informed on this matey. I get my Prius next week and is something that I don't like with the car. However black car and magnesium coloured rims might look odd. Do you have a pic of your black Prius without the covers so I can see what it looks like? I may save up to get some shiney 17's on her. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the prius hybrid course last week, i asked the same question about the alloys covered with plastic trims. The instructor told me it was because........."they use alloy wheels to keep weight down, but making aerodynamic alloys is costly so they put the plastic trims over the top to make them more aerodynamic"

Mart

I went to my local Toyota Dealer (Warrington) and asked about the plastic wheel covers. The chap at the service desk said that there is no reason for the wheel covers to be on. I also asked about the hole in the centre of the alloy wheels but was told that they do not sell anything which plugs the hole.

At the moment my wheel covers are still on - I may take them off and see whether I prefer the look of the alloys (with holes) or not.

I'll keep my standard wheels (and trims :angry:) on as winter wheels and get some nice 17's for the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My wife has just returned with our Prius minus one plastic wheel cover :angry: ! She had to swerve to miss a cat and hit the curb, the wheel cover flew off and was last seen heading into a field, with no hope of finding it! :censor:

Has anyone got a spare one for sale? Just thought I would check here before I contacted a dealership, I hate to think what they will charge.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone remove the plastic alloy wheel covers when they wash their car?

Is it better for the alloy wheels as it cannot be seen? I have been told that the brake dust can encourage corrosion.

I have just bought an 06 plate T Spirit which seems to have the same problem. As I am automatically a member of the Owners club and have a 12 month warranty as I bought if from a Toyota dealer; does anyone know if I can get the wheels replaced under this?

I went to my local Toyota Dealer (Warrington) and asked about the plastic wheel covers. The chap at the service desk said that there is no reason for the wheel covers to be on. I also asked about the hole in the centre of the alloy wheels but was told that they do not sell anything which plugs the hole.

At the moment my wheel covers are still on - I may take them off and see whether I prefer the look of the alloys (with holes) or not.

Have a look at this thread - the link takes you to my post with some part numbers, but you'll see that there are a number of useful posts in the thread. You may have been advised that there are not any parts specific to the gen 3 Prius but the covers for the Gen 2 Prius and Yaris also fit.

I took mine off for cosmetic reasons - I'll probably put them back on for the winter as the car will only be on the road in the dark most of the time. I've read that the wheel covers add a slight fuel consumption benefit, which I have assumed is negligible for my city commutes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links