Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuse Blowing Problem

scutch0

the other day this 15 amp fuse in the efi circuit blew while trying to pull away from a roundabout and the engine electrics light on the dash went out, the engine stopped and wouldnt start again, it was turning over but wouldnt fire. i replaced the fuse with another 15 amp and it was fine.

the next day it blew again while trying to park and again it stopped and the engine electrics light went out again. i replaced it again with a 20amp this time to see if that would sort it... it did for 2 hours where it did it again while parking, i replaced the fuse again and again it was fine.

today it blew again while parking so i tried a 30amp in it just for the hell of it and it popped it instantly, so i bought some more fuses and tried about another ten 15, 20 and 25 amp fuses which it all blew.

i installed a small 1.5v light in my engine bay the other day which was run directly off the sidelights on a switch and it had only had this probelm since then, so i cut the light out of the circuit and put a fuse in it and it was fine, and started no problem... its been fine since.

has anyone ever encountered a problem like this before? i'd like to think that this is the end of it... but it doesnt seem to make any sense as to why it would blow the efi fuse and not the sidelight fuse?

any ideas anyone?

Rich.

the EFI circiut probably runs through the same circuit as the side lights, and with adding that small light, you were pulling too much amperage from the single fuse. but thats just a guess, i really couldnt tell you

check that the new light wiring isnt earthing out anywhere.

have done that mate, and it did it twice yesterday.

i had a good look round the bay yesterday and i noticed the earth on the post on the Battery was slightly loose, so ive tightened it up and its been ok, but again, im not too sure if its what was causing it.

does anyone recon it could have been the earth on the Battery?

Rich.

Hia.

I aint no mechanic or electric freak... but I think you should get the alternator checked out.

There was a similar problem on a friend's car and he was scratching his head for 2 months. He took it to a decent mechanic who told him that it could be the alternator putting too much power back into the system (whatever the technical phrase is).

He then had the alternator restricted and they lived happily ever after.

Try it, it might sort things out.