Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More Stalling 94 Camry, Possible Fix

jherentals

Hi everyone, I am new here so sorry if this is a dupe. Lots of stuff on vintage mid 90s Camrys, wow! I have had Toyota SUV's and Honda Accords before, but may have made a big misake by buying a Toyota Camry, 94 recently. I bought it in the fall of 2005 when weather was "cold" and spent some bucks on oil leak fixes. Now that weather is warm/hot, it runs like garbage. Like most people, after it warms up and I am at a red light, it chokes up and idles at slow speeds then bounces back. Dies a lot unless I foot-feed it or keep in neutral. I really don't want to throw more $$ into this heap. It's a 94 Camry 4 cylinder, automatic w/ 235,000 miles. It looks awesome and except for being un-reliable at a red light, runs otherwise fine. I read a lot of posts about EGR disabling which I'll try, can't hurt it. Also the Temperature control makes sense because I can hear a solenoid kicking in, then you feel a vacuum leak as the idle speed drops to 250 or so, then bounces back, there is definitely some kind of out of control electronics causing all this mess. I did try a fix which, so far, seems to help quite a bit. There are tons of "ebay" items that claim to increase the hp by 20 or so. Basically they are just resistors, but they get spliced into the "AIT" sensor, which is the air control temp sensor, which is just plastic junk that looks like a spark plug, which plugs into the air intake tube between the air cleaner/filter and the engine's intake. I put one on my car, and it basically modifies or disables the existing setup. Yes my car runs richer now, but so far there is no "check engine" light, and I would say it's 95 percent improved!. I have driven the car about 2 hours since I put it on, stopping often and pulled into a parking lot and talked on my cell a while, while the car was idling in "drive"..........and.....No rough idle and no dying out! So far, so excellent. It did choke for a second on acceleration but I think and hope the ECU is just getting used to it. I'll definitely trade the way it drives now compared to what it drove like before I put this "chip" on it. My next expense, if this doesn't hold, I guess, is to go for the engine temp coolant sensor, and to disconnect the EGR system. I am not trying to negate the emmision controls, I am just trying to restore drivabililty without spending another arm and leg. This camry is a money pit! Why didn't I stick w/ Honda Accords? LOL Oh well, that's life....

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had the Camry's chip in about a week now and it runs totally perfect!! The ECU has corrected itself since the chip was added and the EGR was disabled. Now it runs totally strong, no hesitations or stalling at all! In fact, the car could NOT run any better (unless it were modified)......Problem fixed!! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links