Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mcsa

Demonic Angel

I'm thinking of doing an MCSA, becoming Microsoft Qualified! :thumbsup:

Has anyone else done this? What did they think?

I'm not in IT as such, but I do most of the IT at work and I'm looking to progress into more of an IT role and I think the company may be willing to part-fund my course as well if I ask nicely!

Just wanted some opinions really - Rich has an MCAD and thinks I should go for it, but I guess I'm not 100% definite, wanted more advice from anyone in the know! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've done the MCDST and am almost an MCSE. Can highly recommend as they look great when going for new jobs :yes:

I've done the course, but never got round to doing the exams. Shame really, as I'll prolly never get the chance again...

I've done the MCDST and am almost an MCSE. Can highly recommend as they look great when going for new jobs :yes:

Did you do the fast track week course thingy or a self-paced one Lee?

I've done the course, but never got round to doing the exams. Shame really, as I'll prolly never get the chance again...

Why not John Boy? You should get round and do them... :thumbsup:

I did the courses as part of my apprenticeship, then sort of, got busy with work, forgot to revise, and then didn't bother.

My own fault...

I did the courses as part of my apprenticeship, then sort of, got busy with work, forgot to revise, and then didn't bother.

My own fault...

I have passed 4 MCP courses - Win NT 4 Workstation - Win NT 4 Server - Windows XP - Network Essentials, but by the time I tried to complete the final exam the first 3 were expired, Microsoft does this very often. The company I work for (large Insurance company) does not hire people with (so called "PAPER MCSE") unless they have a degree in It or have a track recorld of working in IT for more then five years..

Around three years ago a MCSE would get you anywhere, now it will get you a possible interview. I have gone for more different path.. CCNA - Certified Ethical Hacker - CCNA.

If you can be bothered, Cisco Systems qualifications look better on a CV but are harder to obtain (CCNA etc) They are also much more technician based.

The Microsoft one's are a good place to start and the first couple are absolute pee-easy to get through... the basics are creating folders, naming files, saving stuff, using control panel etc... sooo easy it's untrue!

If your company will pay then they're worth doing, but they may expire after 5 years as Microsoft continually update all their software (Win 98, NT, ME, XP etc) so you'll gain qualifications only for one aspect that you do the exam in.

Overall though, i'd say do it. Because you don't work in IT... im guessing some sort of administration work? Then any future jobs you want to apply for, having the qualification removes the element of you having to prove that you know how to use a computer! If you can get a typists certification then that will help a load too.

experiance will win in the end DA.

I've got an MCSE in NT4 & 2000 & i'm updating that to 2003.

BUT - at the end of the day employers look at experiance as well.

I'm not saying don't do it - by all means being Microsoft qualified is a nice feeling - it shows you know what you are talking about :thumbsup:

J

I have found experience is the key!

You can learn all the theory at Uni but without experience your up the creek without!

I'd say do it if it will cost nothing/little, as everyone else said its experience that counts in this field.

PS. Does anyone else cringe when the computeach ads (the ones were they claim you can get a 30k job in a couple of weeks!) come on tv?

Yeah I understand experience is important too, I'm hoping to move more into an IT based role but I just feel the company are hesitant to let me do anything without some form of "yes she can do this" type qualification first...

And obviously once I have a couple of years experience under my belt, the world should be my oyster! :thumbsup:

But yeah, I also understand that they expire after a certain amount of time and you have to re-take for new versions - I guess I'm just looking at my options at the moment and seeing what I'd get more out of! :yes:

Did you do the fast track week course thingy or a self-paced one Lee?

Never did any courses, i did just the exams :thumbsup:

I only have 1 MCP thats the 2003 active directory policy one other then that I did not bother as being an MCSE nowadays is pointless Far to many paper MCSE's about.

I did my CCNA and thats possibly the best choice I made! I am working towards my CCNP at the mo well when I can pull my finger out :lol::lol:

You could do an CCNA boot camp there is one in milton keynes for about £350 it's 10 hours per day over 2 days it's very very good I did it. I can find the guys number if you fancy that??

Looks like I'll be doing the MCSD or MCAD (sponsered from work).

I'm not sure about the others .. I *do* that on a regular basis. Dunno if I'd need a bit of paper saying so.

I'm not sure about the others .. I *do* that on a regular basis. Dunno if I'd need a bit of paper saying so.

im doing the MCSE with www.nitlc.com

Got my A+ and Network+ so far. Going for my XP Pro soon, seems fairly hard exam

I did my CCNA and thats possibly the best choice I made! I am working towards my CCNP at the mo well when I can pull my finger out :lol::lol:

I took CCNA1 at uni for free, I failed as all the subnetting nonsense went right over my head, some pretty hard stuff in there I felt! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'd say do it Em, nothing to lose! :D

I've got a brochure from nitlc.com - are they any good?

I've now got the "Implementing, Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure" Self Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-291 (already got Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment 70-290) so am gonna blast through those first anyway - got a lot to learn!! :yes:

If you can be bothered, Cisco Systems qualifications look better on a CV but are harder to obtain (CCNA etc) They are also much more technician based.

I'm doing my CCNA this year i think, have to wait till september for the new academic year though!! I did modules 1 and 2 as part of my degree course!

I'm quite tempted by an MCSE or something similar, be nice to add my certificate to the office wall, it will go nicely alongside my bosses!! Haha! At the minute i have a humble Portable Appliance Testing certificate and my GM Fire Service Extinguisher Training certificate on the wall... :lol:

Do it! Do it Now! (Arnie to the rescue!) :lol::thumbsup:

I'm an MCSE....

Minesweeper

Certified

Solitaire

Expert!

I work in Linux based VOIP (Voice Over IP) so theres not really any certificates to do.

A tip for the microsoft/cisco exams - if you get stuck on a question then read the next few questions as sometimes they giveaway previous answers.....

I'm an MCSE....

Minesweeper

Certified

Solitaire

Expert!

I work in Linux based VOIP (Voice Over IP) so theres not really any certificates to do.

A tip for the microsoft/cisco exams - if you get stuck on a question then read the next few questions as sometimes they giveaway previous answers.....

Thats great - cheers mate! :lol::thumbsup:

Dead jealous of your MCSE though.... bet theres not many of those in the world.... ;) :lol:

I've now got the "Implementing, Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure" Self Paced Training Kit for Exam 70-291 (already got Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment 70-290) so am gonna blast through those first anyway - got a lot to learn!! :yes:

aye theyre alright. your paying a lot of extra money for books im sure you could *ahem* find on the net...

aye theyre alright. your paying a lot of extra money for books im sure you could *ahem* find on the net...

Well, I'm not really paying for them....

But you do get some trial software and a voucher for 15% off exam fees aswell as lovely literature.... :lol: ;)

We had a guy, got made redundant from an engineer job and decided with his payout to do an MCSE course and exams.

Got a job here because of it, his first job was to replace a toner cart on a Laserjet. Took him an hour to realise you had to pull the ripcord before fitting it!!!

In my experience MCSE's are useless in a practical environment.

I agree, you have to have some form of common sense about you and a qualification can't give you that, but if you go to an interview and they say "What have you got?" and you say "Ooodles of common sense" they'll show you the door faster than Jade Goody falls down doing the London Marathon! :lol: