Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking Of Switching To A Tdi

thecanadian

OK, we've had our T-sport for 2 years now and it's been good. But, I would like better mileage as I do about 28 - 30 k a year. We're looking at either the new leon 2.0 tdi or the leon FR tdi 150. We would look to remap it for full effect. Supposedly returns 50 - 55 mpg. Whereas I'm getting a maximum of 32 from the corolla. Have any of you driven a TDI before? Any good? Seat??? Any good?? thoughts?

The only problem we have with the toyota is the lack of torque and fuel mileage...otherwise it's great fun.

I've had an MG ZS Diesel before and that was nice to drive, excellent handling, good looks. Not quick off the mark, but that could be cured with a decent induction setup, Decat and a "Rover-Ron" MAF Box for about £50 (more or less a remap, but was a mechanical pump so remap wouldent help, hence maf trickery).

Motorway work was it's home was and it did it very well, effortless in pulling out into the fast lane, although at times there could be a bit of a heart-stopping delay until it hit boost :o. Putting a decat in helped a little (Janspeed SS999K Lotus Elise S1)

MPG Wise, I dont know what it actually did, other than I was averaging 430 miles to each 45-50l fill.

*if* i could find a facelifted ZS TD115 with the bodykit on, I would think about it with the demise of MGR for a commuter wagon, as you can pick them up for a good price; combined with the above mods and a warranty, you would have the best of both IMO.

Another thought I had was changing the TSport for another derv for my commute and was seriously considering a Skoda Fabia vRS (130PD engine), either REVO or AMD mapped to ~160-170 bhp, then perhaps a Leon PD160 airbox for a couple more, but couldent get rid of the Corolla.

HTH :)

Hi

I recently said 'bye-bye' to my VW Bora TDi , and bought myself a Rav 4.

The Bora was very economical, and because it had been superchipped, it was much quicker than any normal Bora, certainly much quicker than the Rav at the bottom end.

The reason why I got rid of it was due to its 'Turbo failure', where the turbo would just die on me. The car would lose all acceleration and sometimes I would have to restart the car in order to win back at least some acceleration. This was particularly on motorways when all of a sudden, the car would begin to slow down, and at night (on motorways) it would become extra dangerous.

Anyhow, that is a rare problem. The Bora was much more technologically enhanced when compared to my current vehgicle, but it also come with its suspension problems (expensive), which I should presume is common in the VW group range.

On averagee, a full tank of diesel would last me 450 - 600 miles depending on the roads I used.

By the way, the Seats, Skodas and Audis all come with the VW diesel engine, and it is definitely at the top of the range.

If you can find a car without the suspension hiccups and without the turbo failures, and also with a new 'Maff', then go for it. Otherwise, get yourself a petrol Toyota, probably the most reliable cars in the world (If Carlsberg made cars that is).

Bye.

B)

Working for skoda for awhile i got to know the vw tdi line ups and pd tdi line ups. Good mpg, good mid range pull. In my opinion tho the problems with vw group cars out way the pro's for example has said turbo's can fail. Electrical problems and suspension problems. I'm sorry to have to say it but wv's aint what they used to be, if it was me i'd got for a d4d corolla the spread of power is better than anything vw group cars can offer. Ok they have more bhp more torque but thats over a limited range has with most diesels. I just find once the d4d is over 2k it uses the power its got better than vw's tdi's. If you must say have a vw group car tho you are going the right way why pay over inflated prices for say a golf when you can have a leon or octavia for a few grand less, if i'd gotta make a choice out of leon or octavia it would be octavia for me.

i'd stick with the toyota, :thumbsup: have the 2.0 d4d you know it makes sense. :thumbsup:

I know its a bigger car and a bit dearer I think but I really like the 2.2Ltr Honda accord sport diesel...

Hi

I've driven several different diesels over the last year & this is what I think of them.

Volvo S40 2.0TD Very good to drive, very good seats, but may be not quick enough, it's heavy car so 136hp don't go as far as it might do in a smaller Focus (of which it's based on). Not that cheap unless you manage to get few grand out off the price. It's well kitted out & don't let the fact it's Volvo put you off.

Seat Leon Sport TD (140hp). Rides way too hard :blink: or wise quite a fun quick-ish car, when your in the mood. Some of the plastics are very cheap looking & electic steering isn't much better than the Corolla's (only quicker lock to lock). But it did sound the most diesel like. Six speed gear box isn't great, five speed Leon has better box (but 105bhp is to slow). The slow one also rides much better.

Honda Civic 22tdi. Doesn't really cost much more that the Leon & will hold it's value better. It's supposed to do 55mpg (the Leon is 49mpg ish combined). Drives a lot better than the Leon (as good as the S40), more fun & you can see out if it a lot better (the front anyway).

I personally wouldn't buy the Corolla. the Avensis has fly wheel & clutch problems (would the Corolla be any better :unsure: ). Also the Corolla's past it's sell by date now & a new one is not far away. It also does only 49mpg combined which ain't great for only 114bhp. I ended ended up dissapointed with my Corolla, rubbish dealer & very poorly built inside. I haven't driven a diesel Corolla, but I can't see it being much fun without 190bhp.

If it was my money I'd go for the Honda hands down :thumbsup: . The best diesel engine by a mile in every way (speed, mpg, gearbox). The Volvo second & the Leon third.

In the end due to a personal loss, I went for the best driving car I've driven a BMW 120d Se as it made me feel the best which I need above all (cost didn't matter). It's the quickest by a fairway & the the best handling by a country mile. The Honda does have a better engine (smoother) & gear box than my 120 (so it's not the best at everything).

Paul

:wacko: