Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Euro Trip End Of Summer

Cubic Incubi

a few peeps are getting together at another Celica Club, (possibly L200 club, GT4OC and a few merc owners) tho I'll be travelling in the L200.

general idea is take a tent - food - provisions etc. approx 10 days. rough route so far is Dover to Calais - La Rochele (stay at my parents, lots of camp ground) - Biarritz, camp over - to Andora (another fella has folks in spain) then onto italy, switzerland germany, holland and ferry home.

camping and the odd hotel for a good nights rest - lots of sightseeing, organised routes - meet new peeps, have a laugh, meet up in own time or convoy, see your own stuff or come with groups to see attractions - have BBq's and generaly chill with the still. Brits on a bullrun.

anyone up for coming along on this/helping plan stages etc. bring yer camera's Very Happy

Cheers

Karl

Biarritz? fantastic... lovely area :) parents have a place there.. tho sadly an appartment.. so no parking :P

Any idea on costs etc?

am tempted...

biggest cost will be fuel of course. an 'average' car pulling 30mpg is gonna need a few full tanks.

If we take tents then we can crash as we dash.

Current rough dates are 24th august to 2nd September.

018c21d2.jpg

a suggested time table.

Day 1 - Dover to La Rochelle/f'nay le compt.

evening of day 2 - arrive in biarritz before it gets dark. stay in B-ritz eve of day 2&3 and have a lark about.

Day 4 into spain/andora mountain range. Another lark about in spain eve of 4&5.

early/mid evening of a day 6 arrive in mubikille and camp and bbq. do some site seeing next day, lark about.

Evening of day 7 arrive in Switzerland, bern after a mad dash thru the mountains and have a well earned beer before slumping in our sleeping bags for mega Z's.

Evening of day 8 germany. BEER. and erm.. more beer thank you sir.

stay over for a rest on day 9 aswell or do Nurburgring then leave early doors for the ferry on day 10 - dover probs best bet.

how does that sound?

example route.

I think heading all the way to italy from spain is a bit of a long hike. so i've come up with the following;

dover - Calais - Fontenay le compt - biarritz - barcelona - marsailles - bern - bonn - calais - dover.

(I dont as yet know where Daz's (ratboy) folks are in spain so I used Barcelona as it is a good route to take over the andora's.

be aware - I did this on michelin website - fuel costs are for a hatchback car, so add a quarter again for a 2.0 n/a celica, add half or more again for a GT4 or L200.

Calais to Fontenay Le Compt - Distance 668km (414 miles) including 638km on motorways. Time: 06h12 including 05h34 on motorways

Toll costs: 37.30 EUR

Petrol costs: 40.10 EUR

Road tax cost: 0 EUR

Total costs: 77.40 EUR

fontenay Le Compt to Biarritz - Distance: 410km (255 miles) including 358km on motorways

Time: 04h21 including 03h20 on motorways - Toll costs: 15.40EUR

Petrol costs: 25 EUR

total cost 30.40 eur

Biarritz to Barcelona - Distance: 518km (320 miles) including 160km on motorways

Time: 07h37 including 01h51 on motorways

Toll costs: 0 EUR

Petrol costs: 31.08 EUR

Total costs: 31.08 EUR

Barcelona to mubikille - Distance: 507km (314 miles) including 502km on motorways

Time: 04h51 including 04h41 on motorways

Toll costs: 34.25 EUR

Petrol costs: 30.39 EUR

Total costs: 64.64 EUR

mubikille to Bern - Distance: 575km (356 m) including 440km on motorways

Time: 06h24 including 04h22 on motorways

Toll costs: 19.80 EUR

Petrol costs: 34.52 EUR

Road tax cost: 25.88 EUR

Total costs: 80.20 EUR

Bern to Bonn - Distance: 553km (342 m) including 525km on motorways

Time: 05h06 including 04h35 on motorways

Petrol costs: 33.16 EUR

Road tax cost: 25.88 EUR

Total costs: 59.04 EUR

Bonn to Calais - Distance: 432km (268 m)including 427km on motorways

Time: 04h17 including 04h03 on motorways

Petrol costs: 25.93 EUR

Total costs: 25.93 EUR

total distance 2269 miles + your UK leg of the journey.

Total French toll costs = 106.75 Euro (GBP £75)

estimated fuel cost for 2.0 celica n/a = 275 Euro (£190)

estimated fuel cost for GT4 or L200 = 350 Euro (£250)

all routes except Biarritz to Barcelona were fastest routes so involve motorways which is good for mpg - we can tweak them if needed to see stuff. biarritz to barcelona is a short route, takes longer but is better views me thinks.

so rough costs at the mo - please feel free to comment if you think it should be more or less. I simply added 25% fuel cost on figures given by michelin for the N/A celica and doubled the cost for the GT4 or L200.

So basically, before food and spending money this trip could between £300-400 - divided between number of folks in the car.

Perhaps we need to get more bodies in cars! ???

Ferries £135 P&O - eurotunnel £165.

Maybe an idea to see what offers are on for the ferries nearer the time too. And when is this planning to be done?

Hmmmm seems a lot cheaper than I thought it would too...

What about accommodation costs..

I know some places are gonna be free.... failing that we pitch canvas in a field? :P lol

I dunno what money will be like then.. with certain things coming up.... but stil tempted

Im intrested in this, need as much info as possible with regards to the costs hehe

I reckon in my NA MR2 id need 9 tanks of fuel for the 2300 mile trip :wacko:

just trying to think of all the costs involved before I can commit

That's a monster drive in a week, but good luck :thumbsup:

A

10 days.

set off dover morning of Thursday 24th August 06 and return calais afternoon of Saturday 2nd Sept 06.

on day 9 in Bonn those interested can go to the nurburgring as its a wee drive away.

The estimated fuel costs above;

They just didnt feel right.

I don't know when the Michelin website was last updated for fuel charges.

Just spoke to my Step Dad in france.

current prices ( oil has just gone up to $15 a barrell);

Off the autoroute - Derv 1.10-120 Euro per litre - Petrol 1.30-140 euro per litre. So between 80p to £1 a litre.

Autoroute charges - add 10-15%.

My stepdad also said look at Route Nationale as well (just normal roads) as they are quick too but you have to slow down to 50K's thru towns. is it worth saving costs on fuel and tolls on autoroute to add time to legs? maybe on route's of scenic interest and to ease the boredom of the motorway driving...

So based on those prices I have come up with the following.

2300 miles At 30 mile per gallon = 76 gallons / 342 litres of fuel per vehicle. If petrol costs 1.4 eruo a ltre thats a quid a pop - so £350 for a vehicle that does 30mpg. if most of the legs are autoroute I would expect celica's and N/a MR2 to get 35 mpg? GT4's, Tubby Mr2's and L200 25-30 mpg.

In any event a car with two passengers sharing costs is looking at around £250-300 tops per person for all travel costs (ferry, fuel, tolls)

Still a cheap auto holiday in my books!

I suggest an earlier ferry on day 1 to get to my folks place early enough to enjoy a BBQ and well deserved rest.

The leg from Biarritz to Barcelona is another 7-8 hour trip and will be utterly breathtaking! really looking forward to that part (and the alps too) and suggest we have a BBQ for lunch on the route.

Accomodation - camp sites for tents will be cheep cheep - in france your looking at no more than a fiver a night.

So far we have the foloowing definate attendees.

1. Cubic Inubi - L200 Animal

2. Ratboy (celica club) Celica GT

3. Rayve (celica club) Celica 190

4. Git1982 (celica club) Celica GT

5. Rogue (GT4OC) Celica GT4

We need some definates as we intend to book campsites in advance. (August is french national holiday period and campsites will get busy)

Folks - this is a Euro trip of a lifetime.

We have - camping in rural france. Camping at Biarritz and the beach. Pyrenees and Andora mountains to drive through, BBQ's along the way. Mubikille - french riveria and the med to lap up - French and swiss alps to drive through - will be utterly breathtaking. Germany's autobahn to cruis on and a trip to the Nurburgring.

All easily done in 10 days with plenty of time to rest and have fun. This is the 'Driving' holiday of 2006!

Shame it's in August, was looking at something a little later, as i'm already planning a road trip with some of my mates later in the year, this just seemed like a good opportunity to include a few more places we weren't going to

Hmmmm my car IS going to need running in..... :thumbsup:

I really want to commit... but I cant at the moment... too much up in the air... but omg im still tempted.. lol

A lot of miles tho... hmmm take Skye... or be a passenger... hmmm :P

hmmm i wouldnt mind goin either. but dont know yet. sounds like good fun tho. ill let u know

jj there is always the hire car option :lol:

Very interested, will let you know asap :thumbsup:

same here im interested but need to work out costs and see money situation closer to time :D

matey mates.

How does the dates of 27th July - 5th August suit?

would these dates be better for anyone here?

The previous rough dates suggested fall during the GT4OC challenge weekend and we have 4 members who want to come but will miss the Annual event.

P.S letting us know nearer the time may mean you have no ferry to book or you may have to get a earlier/later ferry and wait for us/catch up.

The closing date for this will probs be about 4 weeks before we set off so we can make relevant bookings.

i dont think you will get much interest in them dates as JAE falls in the middle of them

i dont think you will get much interest in them dates as JAE falls in the middle of them

I thought that at first, but JAE is 22nd & 23rd July :thumbsup:

too many meets, must stop spending money nooooooooooooooo

I know excatly what you mean mate :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

JAE gives an ideal oppertunity to meet all the attendees prior and make final arrangements....

I thought that at first, but JAE is 22nd & 23rd July :thumbsup:

I think he's chanelling the spirit of Alan... ;) :lol:

A

• 1 month later...

Are any of you guys still interested in doing this? It's still going ahead but it would be nice to have a few more of us going along to make it really worthwhile.

Dates are 27th July > 5th August.

Route will either be the one posted by Cubic Incubi or we are also thinking about a run from Calais through to central Spain instead.

Should be great fun, and we would like to camp as much as possible to keep costs down.

So who's up for it???? :thumbsup:

Im out, sorry mate, was hard enough getting time off for JAE! :lol:

Plus the car needs a bit of work, so wouldnt feel 100% happy driving across Europe in it atm :unsure: