Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gti 4agze Conversion Checklist

vanillaice

Hi,

I have been offered a 4AGZE at a very good price and am now considering a conversion for my '91 GTi.

4agze.jpg

I am fully aware that it is not the best bang for buck, but I'm not extreme enough to go for a 3S-GTE.

What I am after is a list of all the things that need to be considered when doing a conversion.

If there is any one out there that has completed the same conversion I would be very grateful to hear of your experiences, or if anyone has some links to some good websites.

Cheers,

ICE

Is the ZE your being offered out of another corolla? If it is the wiring will already be sorted so it will be a real easy swap as the wiring is the biggest headache in the swap. The engine bolts right in.

If it is from a donor levin make sure you get all anciliaries, inlcuding ECU wiring loom coil packs etc. You will need the Levin driveshafts and gearbox.

Don't forget about the intercooler unless your going to go front mount, or you will need a bonnet scoop. Other things that you will need to consider are brakes and suspension.

As for the 4AGZE not being the best bang for buck swap i disagree because the 3SGTE is a lot of work to get into a Corolla. It all depends what you want from your Corolla but the 3SGTE is not cheap especially if a garage will be doing most of the work.

Oh and remember when carrying out any swap, you get the bug and end up doing lots more! Good luck with it if you decide to go for it :thumbsup:

Speak to jon at www.jbmotorsport.co.uk he did a 4agze into a gti. And I think is now doing the wiring for 4agze conversions if people pay him. Might be worth giving him a call as the conversion will be straight forward enough to do the wiring is a pain in the :censor:

if you do go for the GZE conversion can I have some bits from your 4age :D

Speak to jon at www.jbmotorsport.co.uk he did a 4agze into a gti. And I think is now doing the wiring for 4agze conversions if people pay him. Might be worth giving him a call as the conversion will be straight forward enough to do the wiring is a pain in the :censor:

if you do go for the GZE conversion can I have some bits from your 4age :D

Thanks lads, didnt think it would be too long before I got a response :thumbsup:

I shall look into contacting JBM, I have spoken to him about it before - goes like a rocket apparently! :eek:

I have since looked over the fensport site and found this. It is what they include in their kits for a AE92GTi 4AGZE convesion:

"For a complete conversion you will need the following as a minimum

AE92 or AE101 Late type 4AGZE Engine - complete with all ancillaries to run, including, wiring loom & ecu, starter, alternator, coils, igniter, rev signal converter, top mount intercooler & bonnet scoop, power steering pump and pipes, exhaust downpipe, gearbox and driveshafts

This specification of engine will produce 165BHP and 155lb/ft torque"

The engine I have located has the engine, top mounted intercooler and ecu.

Will I have to replce my starter, alternator, power steering pump, gear box and drive shafts?? I'm just trying to work out a cost for the project. If they do all need replacing I might as well get the complete kit from fensport or JBM (if cheaper)?

Cheers,

ICE

Think starter, alternator and power steering pump are the same for the 4AGE and 4AGZE but mounting brackets are probably different. You definately need gearbox and driveshafts from a ZE for the conversion.

Just for reference MR2 driveshafts dont fit they will connect to the gearbox but not to the hub ( different number of splines). You need to make sure the engine you have located has igniter, coil packs and all the other bits as these can be a pain to find. Jon can probably source them but your conversion may not look cheap if your missing bits. Jon is also cheaper than Fensport and does offer a service for modifying your wiring loom to make the conversion literally plug and play.

I’m sure you can use your existing gearbox mated to the 4AGZE, however I’m not 100% sure, if so you can use your existing driveshafts. If you don’t have the 4AGZE manifold and downpipe, you will need to use your 4AGE items.

The Alternator and Starter motors are definitely different, so make sure you have them.

In order to complete the conversion, ensure you have these items as a bare minimum;

4AGZE Engine

4AGZE SC12 Supercharger unit

4AGZE ECU

4AGZE Wiring Loom (make sure Supercharger Relay is attached/included)

4 wire Oxygen sensor for exhaust downpipe

MAP Sensor (If the 4AGZE is the MAP version)

AFM Sensor (If the 4AGZE is the AFM version)

Ignitor

One pair of Coil Packs

4AGZE Top-mounted Intercooler

Levin Bonnet Scoop (If using the 4AGZE top-mount intercooler)

May also require;

4AGZE Gearbox (including clutch assembly)

4AGZE Driveshafts

Good luck, been there like Knowles, enjoyed it and now in the past….do miss it though.

Nad

I cant remember which gearbox goes with the 4age k-50 or T-50 but I think I read ages ago that the 4agze wont work with the 4age one.

Also I think the flywheel on the 4agze is bigger and thats an issue also? I would have to look it up :-)

I also miss my 4agze well just the power not the fuel bills

I cant remember which gearbox goes with the 4age k-50 or T-50 but I think I read ages ago that the 4agze wont work with the 4age one.

Also I think the flywheel on the 4agze is bigger and thats an issue also? I would have to look it up :-)

I also miss my 4agze well just the power not the fuel bills

If you can find out that would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Do the fuel bills go through the roof? :eek:

Cheers,

ICE

Cheers,

ICE

Depends entirely how you drive it. My daily journey involves 13 miles each way of stop/start, lights, roundabouts etc. and if I drive sensibly with a light right foot I'm getting 30-32 mpg. On motorway cruising I get more like 35 /37 mpg.

Cheers,

ICE

Depends entirely how you drive it. My daily journey involves 13 miles each way of stop/start, lights, roundabouts etc. and if I drive sensibly with a light right foot I'm getting 30-32 mpg. On motorway cruising I get more like 35 /37 mpg.

And on a bad day? ;)

ICE

EDIT: What sort of 0-60 times can you get?

And on a bad day? ;)

ICE

EDIT: What sort of 0-60 times can you get?

I've never driven like a loon through a full tank of fuel but I've never had less than 28mpg.

0-60 has never been timed so I can't say. I know I can do it in 2nd before hitting the rev limiter.

ICE

I would suggest you pop down the LPS in Martlesham - see steve and neil, these are the chaps that built my little monster, took them a week of blood swet and the odd &£^£*^*£ why did we take on the B*&£^&"y job !!

You are welcome to PM me to arrange to pop over one weekend to have a chat and look over what you need and where to buy the parts.. there is a local supply of 4AGZE engines in Stowmarket - chaper then Fensport and Barnes.. :thumbsup:

May be I will take you out for a quick burn down the A14 to show you what difference the swap gives you.

Cheers

Carl B)

0-60 has never been timed so I can't say. I know I can do it in 2nd before hitting the rev limiter.

Nice :D

Anyone else got any more info?

ICE

I would suggest you pop down the LPS in Martlesham - see steve and neil, these are the chaps that built my little monster, took them a week of blood swet and the odd &£^£*^*£ why did we take on the B*&£^&"y job !!

You are welcome to PM me to arrange to pop over one weekend to have a chat and look over what you need and where to buy the parts.. there is a local supply of 4AGZE engines in Stowmarket - chaper then Fensport and Barnes.. :thumbsup:

May be I will take you out for a quick burn down the A14 to show you what difference the swap gives you.

Cheers

Carl B)

Hi Carl,

I know the supply you mean - thats where I found this one ;)

My car is off the road at the moment - see here: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53677 - partly why I'm considering this conversion.

My only concern is that it doesn't have the gear box and all the other ancilleries, unless you know something I don't :wacko:

How much did your conversion cost you? PM me if you'd prefer.

Once my car is on the road I may well take you up on the offer, good to see someone local on the forums. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

ICE

You will need the E58 gearbox that comes with the 4A-GZE in the AE101 Levin GT-Z - it may also have been used in the AE92 Levin - but I have no knowledge of that model. The driveshafts will need to be "supercharger" shafts as the ones from the normally aspirated engine will fit but will leak oil from the seals - I speak from experience on this. Also the E58 is designed for the extra power and torque of the 4A-GZE - I've been told that the internals are the same as the MR2 Turbo box.

When my swap was done the engine cooling radiator as also swapped - again designed for the GZE. If the GZE you get comes with distributorless ignition (twin coil wasted spark system) you will a rev counter signal convertor.

You will have to uprate the suspension. Again I can speak from experience here as I've been trying to sort mine out for quite a while. I originally went with uprated Fensport springs and the top adjustable Koni dampers but that setup didn't last very long as the dampers are designed for the Corolla with a 4A-FE engine. The 4A-GZE engine and E58 gearbox are much heavier and need a lot more suspension damping and wore out the Konis before their time. The standard front springs on my Corolla have been measured at 98 lbs/inch. The 40% uprated ones measured 125lbs/inch (not 40% but they had been on the car for a while before I tested them). I had a suspension / chassis analysis done a couple of months ago and the suggested front spring rate was 300lbs/inch - thats a 200% uprating :eek: These springs are now on the car and it's so much better than it has ever been since the transplant nearly three years ago.

John

sorry dude didnt realise you were serious on messenger the other night.

as said GZE converion is straight forward with only the wiring that causes problems.

3S-GTE is awsome but unless you have the skills and facilitys to do the job yourself it costs a small fortune!!! (i know from bitter experiance).

think buying a complete conversion package is a good idea as buying bit here and there tends to work out more expensive.

as john said front springs will need uprating to cope with the extra weight.

im using ST-165 celica springs in the rolla with koni adjustables and have had no probs. could be the Shell of an AE-111 is heavier than an AE-92.

have you sorted the running prob yet?

Thanks for the info John, I shall bear that in mind.

Has anyone else had to replace the radiator to handle the 4AGZE?

sorry dude didnt realise you were serious on messenger the other night.

as said GZE converion is straight forward with only the wiring that causes problems.

I'm serious until I find out it get too expensive - and is starting to look that way, but never say never. ;)

as john said front springs will need uprating to cope with the extra weight.

im using ST-165 celica springs in the rolla with koni adjustables and have had no probs.

have you sorted the running prob yet?

So fensport ST-165 springs all round and AE92 koni's all round?

No - haven't sorted running problem :ffs:

ICE

Picture of engine added.

What about the brakes? :blink: Currently I have Diamond Black drilled and grooved on the front (standard fitment). The front pads will need replacing beofre too long any way, so recommendations please. The back has just had an overhaul: reconditoned calipers from fensport, new standard discs (and again standard fitment) and Pagid pads.

Dawsey has offered me a set of uprated hose pipes for the front if not all round (forgot to ask).

With the new front pads and hose pipes fitted, would this be enough stopping power?

Cheers,

ICE

Ok.

I have made contact with Jon. Apparently he is too busy to get involved himself, but deals with a guy from Malaysia who will take care of things.

He has offered me a package:

1. Engine with mounting, intercooler, A/C compressor, P/S pump, alternator, starter, injector, Super Charger, manifolds, etc

2. Gear box with all the mountings and brackets, gear shifter and cables

3. Drive shafts

4. Wiring (include fuse boxes) for the whole front cut include dash board wiring etc

5. Dash meter and all the instrument cluster meters

6. All the electronic components (ECU, igniter, coils, map sensor, etc) that need to run the engine

7. Front struts and disc brakes

8. Radiator and hoses

He is also able to offer a rebuild:

a. Labour for clean the engine components (internal & external) and gear box

b. King Engine Bearings – Main bearing, Con Rod bearing and Thrust Washer

c. Water Pump – Japanese brand

d. Oil seals (crank shaft seals and cam shaft seals)

e. Oil rings (all oil rings included water pump and water pipe oil rings)

f. Timing belt – Japanese brand

g. Engine oil and filter – Japanese brand

h. Valve cover rubber gaskets and 8pcs rubber washer – Toyota Genuine Parts

i. Cylinder head gasket – Toyota Genuine Parts

j. Valve Seals – Japanese brand

k. Drive shaft boot (if damaged) – Japanese brand

l. Exhaust manifold gasket (head to Ex. Manifold) – Toyota Genuine Parts

m. Piston Ring - Toyota Genuine Parts

As well as re wiring my loom and shipping (requires collection from port) all for:

$2800 USD or £1,521.34 to you and I.

Dunno if there would be import tax etc on collection? :ffs:

What do you people reckon, good price? I like the sound of the rebuild, works out at only £270~

Obviously it needs installing once I get it, but shouldn't be a problem.

Opinions please.

Cheers,

ICE

sounds good mate. possibly would be import duty but there may be ways around it

You will have no problems dealing with Jon's contact. I know him myself and he has been a great deal of help with my own conversion.

As for the price it is definately good as modifying your wiring loom is included and an engine rebuild!

You will have no problems dealing with Jon's contact. I know him myself and he has been a great deal of help with my own conversion.

Yep that guys a god in my book he got me a replacement supercharger when mine died!! in a week!!!

Hi guys a little on topic/ off topic. I have almost get my 7AGE conversion done but, with my new job I'm not getting enough time to get the engine and car wiring loom's sorted out. If time to call in the pro's. Does anyone know a good auto electric place in scotland I could take it too? There dont look as though there much to do, but I just dont have the time just now AND I WANT MY CAR BACK!!! :crybaby:

So any help welcomed :D

OriRacer

I could put you in touch with an old Toyota whiz friend of mine who works in a garage in Edinburgh. He did alot of the Twincharger work for me on my AE92.

Let me know and I will pass on the contact details.

Nad

• 2 weeks later...

OriRacer

I could put you in touch with an old Toyota whiz friend of mine who works in a garage in Edinburgh. He did alot of the Twincharger work for me on my AE92.

Let me know and I will pass on the contact details.

Nad

Hey nad that would me great if you could pass his details on just PM me.