Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt Uk Or Import Modal ?

Archy

Hello all

My first post on here and im looking to buy a Celica GT 1995+ but im not to sure whether to buy an Import or UK version, can anybody suggest which to go for and are the engines, suspension, etc all the same spec. I heard Imports produce around 180 and UK 170 but im really not sure. Probably should of searched the site I no but wanted to say hello :)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Import Gen6's come in 140, 170 and 200bhp (approx figures).

UK cars are 170bhp (approx)

uk 2ltr cars are the GT's, the uk 1.8's are ST's and SR's.

jdm cars the only real way to tell them apart is under the bonnet.

ss1 140bhp - ss1.jpg

ss2/3 170bhp - ss2.jpg

ss3 200bhp - ss3.jpg

These are all 2ltr engines, they also do a 1.8 in the uk which is 114bhp if i remember correctly.

then you also have the GT4 turbo 2ltrs which as 239uk and 255jdm.

Imports cost a little more to insure but usually have lower mileage and are in better condition.

Its a great buyers market at the moment for celica's. a good condition 95 170bhp import will be snapped up easy for £2k.

All UK car come with typical mcdonalds struts except for the gt4 which has superstrut suspension. This is better but only lasts approx 60k and costs a lot to replace. If the superstrut is worn and needs changing then it will make a knocking sound.

All imports come with either of the two, and the only way to tell them apart is to get under the front of the car and have a look.

normal front shocks are this shape - ae92kyb.jpg and super struts are this shape - trdftlegs.jpg

:thumbsup:

import every time - norwich union and churchills insure them for uk model money - even the gen 6 gt4 is going for vauxhall corsa money at the moment.

import every time

Good advice :thumbsup:

Hello mate, welcome to TOC! :)

I've had no problems with mine being an import, an ss2 (the import equivalent of the GT) (which is 178.5 bhp, NOT 170 BTW!!! Very important to get that in :D ) Must be driven on Optimax. It wont blow up if not, but you'll lose power!! If looking at imports then take a look at the engine and unless it says "2000 twin cam 16" or "Beams" then I wouldn't bother. The SS1 catches a few people out and probably doesn't cost any less to insure than the SS2. As leeky says some SS2s have the super strut suspension, there is usually a decal on the rear windscreen to say this.

All UK car come with typical mcdonalds struts

:D I think you were feeling hungry when you wrote this mate!! :D

Hello

Thanks for the welcome and response guys, looks like import (180bhp version) seems to be the way to go then. Do all imports have superstruts as standard or just some of them and is the handling any better from them?.

Only some SS2s have it, and the package includes a LSD, closer range gearbox, twin-pot calipers and an option of better ABS sensor.

I can't tell you from experience as I haven't drove a celica without superstrut, but the handling is excellent. Everybody says that the 'normal' suspension is very adequate. Only problem is the superstrut lasts 60k ish so if it is below that mileage then realise you will have to payout a few hundred a side to get it fixed when it does go. :thumbsup:

isnt there a later black top SSIII that makes 210BHP?

Celsteve- What does the SSII have over the uk spec?

I was thinking about trying to keep it to UK sourced as you need to know that the rust proofing is up to scratch!

All UK car come with typical mcdonalds struts

:D I think you were feeling hungry when you wrote this mate!! :D

:lol: I just think its funnier to call them that ;)

isnt there a later black top SSIII that makes 210BHP?

The black top was only in the Altezza, not the celica.

Import everytime mate - i was a bit worried about buying mine but now i hope my next car GT4 or Supra is an import too - Immaculate .

The black top Beams i think was in mr2 or another toyota........not 100% thou :afro:

Import Gen6's come in 140, 170 and 200bhp (approx figures).

UK cars are 170bhp (approx)

uk 2ltr cars are the GT's, the uk 1.8's are ST's and SR's.

jdm cars the only real way to tell them apart is under the bonnet.

ss1 140bhp - ss1.jpg

ss2/3 170bhp - ss2.jpg

ss3 200bhp - ss3.jpg

These are all 2ltr engines, they also do a 1.8 in the uk which is 114bhp if i remember correctly.

then you also have the GT4 turbo 2ltrs which as 239uk and 255jdm.

Imports cost a little more to insure but usually have lower mileage and are in better condition.

Its a great buyers market at the moment for celica's. a good condition 95 170bhp import will be snapped up easy for £2k.

All UK car come with typical mcdonalds struts except for the gt4 which has superstrut suspension. This is better but only lasts approx 60k and costs a lot to replace. If the superstrut is worn and needs changing then it will make a knocking sound.

All imports come with either of the two, and the only way to tell them apart is to get under the front of the car and have a look.

normal front shocks are this shape - ae92kyb.jpg and super struts are this shape - trdftlegs.jpg

P.s thats a great explanation - keep it cause the same question pops up a lot :thumbsup:

Arent you worried about the massive risk of no under proofing being done once imported, leaving you with a rusty car very quickly come winter here?

They dont have to use salt in japan....

Insurance isnt an issue for me.... however i am led to belive the UK is the better one to go for. However i would love a red top...hmmm VVTi :)

you can have it undersealed for 60 quidish . my gt4 saw 2 winters and was rust free - infact it looked as if it just came from the toyota factory,it was that clean .

What does the SSII have over the uk spec?

There isn't a great deal of difference - Apart from the condition obviously and the slightly higher power if using Optimax, the differences are mainly small or cosmetic items such as the SS2 has auto-airconditioning rather than standard and the box looks nicer as there is no blue/red on the dial! Small thing I know but they look a lot better IMO. They don't have those ugly headlight washer jets, which probably don't do much and look awful, again IMO. I have to be careful here, lots of GT owners about!! The electric folding mirrors are a god-send, one of the first times I forgot to use them my mirror got bent backwards by some toe-rag. You just have a chance of finding a higher spec car as there are more options available, especially on the later models. May find one with the projector headlamps, roof spoiler, late spec lights etc

Some things it might not have - sunroof was an option as were airbags and no cruise control.

Try and remember some more for ya but my brain's frazzled from too much wine :drunk:

What does the SSII have over the uk spec?

There isn't a great deal of difference - Apart from the condition obviously and the slightly higher power if using Optimax, the differences are mainly small or cosmetic items such as the SS2 has auto-airconditioning rather than standard and the box looks nicer as there is no blue/red on the dial! Small thing I know but they look a lot better IMO. They don't have those ugly headlight washer jets, which probably don't do much and look awful, again IMO. I have to be careful here, lots of GT owners about!! The electric folding mirrors are a god-send, one of the first times I forgot to use them my mirror got bent backwards by some toe-rag. You just have a chance of finding a higher spec car as there are more options available, especially on the later models. May find one with the projector headlamps, roof spoiler, late spec lights etc

Some things it might not have - sunroof was an option as were airbags and no cruise control.

Try and remember some more for ya but my brain's frazzled from too much wine :drunk:

lol cool cheers buddy.

I have 3k and i want

Black

A/c

Cruise control (im confused, do some come with it or what?!!)

thats it, im easy. Not overly fused about the power as its mostly likely a stop gap to a 205.

Has anyone got some nice high res images of GTs? Internet sucks for pictures of definite UK models in high res!!

Thanks

Chris

I don't think any of the imports had cruise control, but uk models do (or it may have been an option). For 3k you should get a real nice one, whether it be import or UK. The imports will almost always have much lower mileage, mine had 46k on a L plate last year, although the engines are good for 150k+ so it's not too important. Unless it's really mint and has all the features you want then don't buy the 1st one you see as there are some real bargains to be had right now- Look at what Chris got for 1800 quid. That's a lot of car for the cash.

BTW some of the interior colour schemes are really bad, so another reason for shopping around :thumbsup:

BTW some of the interior colour schemes are really bad, so another reason for shopping around :thumbsup:

It wont be staying standard for too long (tasteful BTW! ;))

to right on not buying the first one i see.. ive seen a couple and it HURTS to walk away :( great cars..

I settled for a uk model cuz i couldn't afford the insurance on a import :crybaby: like alot of peopel said to there isn't that much difference, it just sounds good when you say ive got a Gen6 Celica Import rather than just a gen 6.

Either one you have you'll love it, it hurt me to walk away from a red import i was gutted when the bloke said its got no log book :eek: i had to walk away :crybaby:

But i got my baby for 2k just needed a touch up on her rear end and she now in perfect condition, but high milage, ah well she's jap she'll last forever :lol:

Good luck in finding you Celi :D

Arent you worried about the massive risk of no under proofing being done once imported, leaving you with a rusty car very quickly come winter here?

Imports and UK cars come off the same production line and have the same undersealing, years ago it was different but all modern Toyota's get the same treatment whether they are uk or jdm.

I have 3k and i want

Black

A/c

Cruise control (im confused, do some come with it or what?!!)

thats it, im easy. Not overly fused about the power as its mostly likely a stop gap to a 205.

£3k will get you an ST205 no problem :yes:, just keep a lookout on eBay or try to get a fresh import straight off the boat :thumbsup:

Hello there mate.

It seems most people have covered you questions so just thought I'd say hello :thumbsup:

I have a 96 GT UK model and have had no problems with it at all. Alot of peeps are saying that Imports are the way forward but I personally prefer UK models due to being able to speak to the person who has owned it. However many on here have had no problems with Imports so my opinion has changed some what since joining TOC.

Here is a picture from the trader and I will post a couple more that I have when I have a bit more time (Nephew wants to go to Chester Zoo! hhmmmmm Bank Holiday and all!!!)

Whats wrong with the headlight washers!!!! They can hardly be seen!

CelicaGT.jpg

All very good info on here just gotta find one now, im gona steer towards silver or black (my personal fav's) then when it's purchased tasteful mods on the way. I got a set of 205/45/16 Eagle F1's just need to choose the wheels, hmmm decisions :unsure:

£3k will get you an ST205 no problem :yes:, just keep a lookout on ebay or try to get a fresh import straight off the boat :thumbsup:

wouldn't buy the petrol for a week :P

I would love one, but at 21 and a graduate, money is a bit tight

Funnily enough, the insurance isn't the issue! Its the running costs!

For 3k, i would rather get a mint ST202 rather than a tired ST205 :)

Edit - thanks for the tip about undersealing.... thats intresting to know, good old toyota :D

I can also back up the UK model argument. I have a UK GT and it has been the most reliable rlitivly cheap to run car I have had.

To b honest It does not really matter if you get an import or not the only reason I brought UK model was for insurance becasue I was under 25 and it narrows down the quotes you can get from insurance companies if you are under 25, if you have a UK model all companies will quote you.

Just make sure you get a quote before you buy and look at the quality of the car not where it originated from.

Whats wrong with the headlight washers!!!! They can hardly be seen!

CelicaGT.jpg

Not on yours maybe but they can on most other colours except black!!! I saw a silver GT the other day which had those ugly black things on and for me it really spoils the bumper and I've seen them on a white car aswell which is even worse as the black rubber really stands out! Maybe it's just me, a bit fussy perhaps?! :)

on my red st202 i painted them . waste of time in my opinion for what they actually do.

on my red st202 i painted them . waste of time in my opinion for what they actually do.

I hear that :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links