Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Roadster Rear Bumper

1bloke1dog1mr2

Hi all!!

Just had a service at my local Toyata dealer on my 40K miler 2000 MR2 and they've managed to take the paint off on the rear bumper while jet washing it. Having had a bit of a to-do with the manager who said it was like that when I dropped it off and me saying that I've only ever hand washed my car and it certainly WASN'T like that, I then noticed that the 2 other MR2s they had on their forecourt (both different years to mine) had the same problem.

I just wondered if anyone else had a problem with flaking paint off the rear bumper (just underneath the no. plate) or whether it's the garage's jet washer that needs a few words??!!

I've never heard of this problem.. although i do know that if too much pressure is used pint can be removed.

I would ask the garage if they would be will to help you put it right in one way or another (big discount) or i would be going to visit Trading Standards.

They apparantly used cold water only at tap pressure but I can't see them getting any dirt off with that, let alone paint! I have contacted 'big' Toyota with photos in their follow up questionnaire they sent me and my local garage have obviously had a bo****king. Unfortunatley it's his word against mine because it's been reported in their pre-service report, almost like a disclaimer if you ask me. He's now submitting reports to 'big' Toyota but it probably isn't a manufacture problem.

Any more feedback would be much appreciated...

I might be wrong but I always thought that formed plastic panels had an impregnated gel coat, designed for durability and the ability to flex with the material. I often use a home high pressure wash on mine and have never had this problem.

It might be possible that the rear bumper has been resprayed for some reason during it's life, what material is showing under the damage, does it look like primer or is it like black plastic?

It doesn't matter if it has been sprayed though, if any damage was caused by a pressure wash or other means, it should be covered under the dealers liability insurance.

If you're like me and know every new imperfection that wasn't there the day before, stick to your guns and get them to sort it out.

Les

Hi Les,

Thank you for your feedback, it's just black on the bumper where the paint is missing, which is exactly the same as a small scratch on the front of my bonnet. As you say it could've been touched up at some point (which was mentioned by the Toyota manager) but my Hubby used to work for at a car sales garage and is adament it hasn't and I'm the same as you, I notice every new little stone chip and door ding.

It sounds to me from feedback so far that this is only a problem at this specific garage and not MR2s. I shall dig my heels in on this one!

Amy

Hi Les,

Thank you for your feedback, it's just black on the bumper where the paint is missing, which is exactly the same as a small scratch on the front of my bonnet. As you say it could've been touched up at some point (which was mentioned by the Toyota manager) but my Hubby used to work for at a car sales garage and is adament it hasn't and I'm the same as you, I notice every new little stone chip and door ding.

It sounds to me from feedback so far that this is only a problem at this specific garage and not MR2s. I shall dig my heels in on this one!

Amy

No problem Amy ;)

and welcome to the club by the way :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey hey!!

I've just picked up my roadster with it's newly painted rear bumper... HOORAH!!!! :toot:

Finally got them to get it in for a touch up and it's cost me nothing. Thanks for all the advice, I stayed pushy til the last. Also had the new Aygo as a courtesy car, not a bad little motor for a 1 litre 3 cylinder, perhaps when I'm 70 and can't get into an MR2!!!???

JUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE!!!! :thumbsup:

Glad to see you got it sorted :)

That's great Amy :yes:

Now could you get a bit pushy with the weather for us so we can drop the tops a bit more :thumbsup:

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links