Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Mk2 Rev 3 Handling Issue

QAS

Hi. I have just purchased a Mr2 Mk2 REV 3 and while I like it very much, driving on motorway at 80mph+ it seems to move about left to right a lot, especially when going over un even road. Also when i move the steering wheels left-right quickly it does the same thing, it just doesn't stay stable on the road at high speed.

Is this normal with the MR2s? or do i need to replace something? like shockers.

Please advise?

Regards

QAS

What wheels/tyres do you have? What pressuers are you running?

The larger (and heavier) the wheels and the lower the profile the tyres will increase tramlining. Is iton the same bits of road you find the problem?

Low pressures will make the car feel soft too, where high pressures can make it feel skittish ..

What wheels/tyres do you have? What pressuers are you running?

The larger (and heavier) the wheels and the lower the profile the tyres will increase tramlining. Is iton the same bits of road you find the problem?

Low pressures will make the car feel soft too, where high pressures can make it feel skittish ..

I have standard wheels and tyres. 205/50/15 front and 225/50/15 rear. Air Pressure = 36psi front and rear (as stated in MR2 guide book).

Any Ideas?

Can it be due to suspension bushes or something like that.

not usually .. is this on the inside lane of a M'way for example?

My MR2 hated the inside lanes .. would be all over the place.

not usually .. is this on the inside lane of a M'way for example?

My MR2 hated the inside lanes .. would be all over the place.

Nope, it does this in all lanes. When i move the steering quickly left-right (very slightly) it starts too move left-right kinda feels unstable instead of steady on the road.

I might get it checked out.

Did yours do the same thing, I am used to driving Pulsar GTI-R which is much more stable at high speeds and sticks to the road, but My MR2 doesn't.

I Need help :crybaby:

Mine on the flat was fine .. the MR2 is ME/RWD so will be a load different to the Nissan Sunny ;)

It's hard for me to diagnose via forum without taking it for a drive. But something defo doesn't sound right.

Is it the front end moving or the rear? does it feel more LSD related? Does it do it under acceleration/braking/coasting?

Mine on the flat was fine .. the MR2 is ME/RWD so will be a load different to the Nissan Sunny ;)

It's hard for me to diagnose via forum without taking it for a drive. But something defo doesn't sound right.

Is it the front end moving or the rear? does it feel more LSD related? Does it do it under acceleration/braking/coasting?

I am taking it out for a drive again and let you know how and when it does it.

Thank you for your kind advise.

QAS

No problem .. it *shouldn't* do it .. it now a case of working out what's doing it, and then how to solve it for you ;)

Good luck.

Right, I took it for a long drive and here is my conclusion.

Car pulls fine, on the motor way however when i turn steering just slightly from left-right it does move from front, which might be due to tyres running low on tread, should low tread tyres cause this?.

It make the car feel bouncer like i am driving it on a spongy road or something.

Also when i brake the car hard, it does move to left a bit.

I await your reply.

Thank you

QAS

have the tracking checked that may be out

if its pulling under braking then the calipers may be biased, this could be due to one sticking (theyre only pants slide calipers) try and get a look at the meat on the pads, see if theres uneven wear between the two sides

if its pulling under braking then the calipers may be biased, this could be due to one sticking (theyre only pants slide calipers) try and get a look at the meat on the pads, see if theres uneven wear between the two sides

what jaxx said, and yes get the alignment checked its the best 65 quid you will ever spend, mine was like exactly how you are describing and alignment sorted it, another thing is the top mounts on the suspension can go (like mine have) get it checked out and all should be fine.

be careful in the wet, before i had my alignment done every single drain i went over felt VERY VERY dodgy indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

what jaxx said, and yes get the alignment checked its the best 65 quid you will ever spend, mine was like exactly how you are describing and alignment sorted it, another thing is the top mounts on the suspension can go (like mine have) get it checked out and all should be fine.

be careful in the wet, before i had my alignment done every single drain i went over felt VERY VERY dodgy indeed.

Hi Mate, I've got a rev 3 , N/a and had very similar problems to you, although no drifting whilst braking, but would also appreciate some help. I have new toyo a022 tires, have just changed the shocks and springs (direct replacements) and had 4 wheels ballanced and then had alignment checked, and it is still very skittish at speed, any thoughts

My next port of call is new bushes etc, but am rapidly running low of funds

Help

Cheers steve

:crybaby:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links