Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Dilemma!

King Rocco

Hi all,

Think i have finally decided at getting an MR2 in a couple of months (rather than a supra or gt4), only problem is, not sure what type to get :unsure:

I have two options...

A friend is selling his Rev 1 T-Bar N/A for around £2500. It's in mint condition with masses of service history and has 'only' done 75K. It has Koni adjustable sus', Mongoose exhaust, Apexi induction, 17 inch Lenso's with nearly new toyo's on, leather seats, etc. Also just had a new clutch fitted.

The other option is to get a MR2 turbo for around £3000 - 3500... Do you think i could get a good tubby for this? I suppose it would be a Rev 1 or 2...

I just cant help thinking that if i go for the N/A i'll always want the power of the turbo. Having said that, i haven't owned a mid-engined, rwd car before and it may be good experiance to get something with a little less power and get used to the set-up...

Sorry if i went on for a bit, but any advice guidance is appreciated as i'm useless at making decisions!!

Cheers, mike :thumbsup:

Hi all,

Think i have finally decided at getting an MR2 in a couple of months (rather than a supra or gt4), only problem is, not sure what type to get :unsure:

I have two options...

A friend is selling his Rev 1 T-Bar N/A for around £2500. It's in mint condition with masses of service history and has 'only' done 75K. It has Koni adjustable sus', Mongoose exhaust, Apexi induction, 17 inch Lenso's with nearly new toyo's on, leather seats, etc. Also just had a new clutch fitted.

The other option is to get a MR2 turbo for around £3000 - 3500... Do you think i could get a good tubby for this? I suppose it would be a Rev 1 or 2...

I just cant help thinking that if i go for the N/A i'll always want the power of the turbo. Having said that, i haven't owned a mid-engined, rwd car before and it may be good experiance to get something with a little less power and get used to the set-up...

Sorry if i went on for a bit, but any advice guidance is appreciated as i'm useless at making decisions!!

Cheers, mike :thumbsup:

if im been safe...id say get an n/a first if its first RWD mid engined car as i spun mine a few times when i was 17, i admit i was too young for one but then learned to be slow in corners fast on the exit.

but if im been honest....turbo! dunno about other people but even when i was 17/18 i got bored of the power after 6 months, didnt help having a go in fizzes rev3 tubby (****** :D) petrols expensive but when you eventually get bored of standard turbo, 35quid and youve got another 40-50bhp with a boost controller and masses of torque

for £3500 you could get a tbar rev2 tubby in good condition

Id say turbo if you know you can afford anything comfortably that might be needed.... it can all get very expensive very fast. plus they eat clutches, brakepads, every other consumable for fun and theres plenty of capacity for getting nicked by the rozzers for enthusiastic driving.

If any of that puts you off get the na, if you still find yourself drawn to the tubby do it :thumbsup:

I'd go turbo .. 2500 -> 3500 should get you a good stock(ish) MR2.

I'm after slightly more as I've a load of extra bits with mine, that I think would be "worth" the extra to a buyer.

Drive lots of MR2's (NA and Turbo) and see what you think.

Just get a copy of autotrader and drive everything.

I'd go turbo .. 2500 -> 3500 should get you a good stock(ish) MR2.

I'm after slightly more as I've a load of extra bits with mine, that I think would be "worth" the extra to a buyer.

Drive lots of MR2's (NA and Turbo) and see what you think.

Just get a copy of autotrader and drive everything.

I think you've all helped me make up my mind.... think turbo is the way to go, life is too short to settle for second best (no offence to those with N/A cars i might add!!). My friend has just recently bought a mint rev 3 turbo thats pushing out 300bhp at the wheels and it made me want one... i think it was the noise of the turbo behind me that did it :thumbsup:

I'll take some for a drive and see what i prefer, not had much chance recently to go view/drive any cars.

Am i correct in thinking that the rev1/2 had 220bhp as standard and the rev3 + had 245bhp?

Another thing, would you say its better to get a fresh import or one thats been in the UK for a few years and has some UK service history?

Thanks again, Mike

rev3+ is better, but also costs more, and when you go down the route of replacement turbo, it doesn't matter .. fresh imports can be tatty or mint. You really need to take each car as it comes :)

rev3+ is better, but also costs more, and when you go down the route of replacement turbo, it doesn't matter .. fresh imports can be tatty or mint. You really need to take each car as it comes :)

Kool, cheers for the advice.

Another thing.... I've tried searching for threads about insurance but cnt find any relavent... i'm sure its been asked many times before but could anybody recommend some good insurance companies. Bear in mind i am 22 and have 2 yrs ncb. I'll only be using it for social however, no commuting, and expect to be doing 6,000 miles a year max. Am i being optimistic thinking i'll get insured for under a grand?? A friend has mentioned Noel Dazley, but haven't got round to ringing them yet.

Cheers again, mike

TBH, get a copy of Banzai and phone the companies in the back ..

Adrian Flux is the main modded ins comp in the UK .. from Max Power to proper cars ;)

TBH, get a copy of Banzai and phone the companies in the back ..

Adrian Flux is the main modded ins comp in the UK .. from Max Power to proper cars ;)

Awesome, thanks again - i'll get a copy.

Now i've got the easy job of finding a car :( and getting rid of my current one... i'll keep an eye on the IMOC, MR2OC and the trader... and eBay...

First modification.... some on track driving tuition to get used to the MR2 set-up and controlling the back end! :D

Mike

I'd defo suggest getting rid of the current first .. I've had my MR2 for sale for about a year now :(