Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Wheel Bearing On A Gen 5

mikeb

Finally got round to looking at my car today, to try and identify the worrying grinding/squealing noise from the front wheel area. Found considerable slop in the LH front wheel bearing, so I stripped it down to find the common problem of the hub turning inside the bearing inner Shell. The hub is rather knackered, and the bearing clearly needs replacement. :( The bearing arrangement looks quite under engineered for a heavy FWD car.

So who's done this job before on a gen 5 (I think the gen 6 is very similar??)? Three questions:

1) Is the bearing a press fit in the steering knuckle? (It looks like it's not, but held in place with a circlip)

2) Has anyone found the bearing outer Shell turned in the steering knuckle, trashing that as well?

3) Where can I get a new bearing and seal kit from (apart from Mr T)?

1) Is the bearing a press fit in the steering knuckle? (It looks like it's not, but held in place with a circlip)

2) Has anyone found the bearing outer Shell turned in the steering knuckle, trashing that as well?

3) Where can I get a new bearing and seal kit from (apart from Mr T)?

I'm sure it's the same as a Carina e. Yes press fit and held with circlip.

Yes they can turn ruining the wheel Hub and / or carrier.

Any bearing dealer will sell you a kit. I've been buying them for £25 in Shropshire. If you need a hub then this will cost around £30=vat from Mr T. A Carrier is best from a breakers.

Regards

Ive done both of mine it not a bad job to do really. The bearing is a press fit so will be tight to remove. best to get it pressed out and the new 1 pressed back in to make sure its in right rather than trying to hammer it in.

I got my bearings from just a normal parts shop, think they were about £45. They've been fine. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this:

The price from Mr T for the bearing was £81.83+VAT, and £33.85+VAT for the seal kit. :eek:

But SKF do a kit with bearing and seals (I think the part no. is VKBA 3308). I paid £35+VAT from Goldline Bearings (thanks beardie) in Telford - quite a saving! :D

Just got to make it fit now.

good luck on the bearing problem,... ive just ordered a rear wheel bearing for the GT, so hopefully it will be sorted by the weekend,....quick question will i need the seal kit too :unsure::unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links