Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dvd Player On Pop Up Nav Screen?

rooo

I have the full colour pop up nav system on my Avensis, and was wondering if it is possible to plug in an additional DVD player into the screen?

Or would I have to disconnect the Nav DVD first?

I have the full colour pop up nav system on my Avensis, and was wondering if it is possible to plug in an additional DVD player into the screen?

Or would I have to disconnect the Nav DVD first?

No-one?!

Can anyone recommend a car hifi place around Derby that I can ask then? It must be theoretically possible...

I am shortly to attempt fitting a revesing camera to mine. I am assuming that because the SAT NAV box is so far away from the popup LCD that it must be an analogue video signal rather than digital (LVDS or something) as it keeps the cable count down. I will remove the passenger seat and see if a video signal does come from the box. If so its a doddle as you just need to switch between the 2. I won't get around to it for a couple of weeks though but will let you know the outcome, assuming you can wait.

A firm called connects2 or something like that does various interface boxes but they could not say if any of theirs would work with the flip up avensis screen, I think they are a minority option.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge today & checked all the signals coming out of the SatNav under the passenger seat. I was hoping that there would just be a simple video signal there but sadly this is not the case.

The output is actually RGB+composite sync. I say its RGB but that is an educated guess as there were 3 video signals comming out of the box, I can't imagine it not being RGB. With the SatNav box disconected the Colour screen still displays the Toyota logo when it starts up so either the LCD itself does that or there is yet another interface box between, this would be nice as it would still mean there was hope but that will require me getting into the dashboard.

It would be really nice if there were anyone else out there who has looked into this. ?????????????

I have seen the schematics

There are 7 cables going from the Navigation ECU and to the display. 5 of them goes in a shielded cable and these 5 signals + shield are.

- Sync to display pin 8

- B to display pin 3

- G to display pin 7

- R to display pin 2

- VR to display pin 1 (I guess this is video return)

- VG shield to display pin 6

Further more there are two data signals from ECU to display.

- TX- to display pin 10

- TX+ to display pin 5

I hope this helps

Many thanks for the info, it seems a strange arrangement, you don't get many if any LCD panels with analogue RGB inputs.

It seems Toyota have issued a challenge!!

• 2 months later...

Not yet sadly, I have been too busy. I will have to remove the seat again as I forgot to see if the signals were 50 or 60hz. It would also be very nice to source the correct connectors also as I never like cutting wires but I think that will be very difficult.

I don't think it will be too much of a problem for my reversing camera when I finally do it as I am not too fussed about colour so can just connect the camera video output to each of the RGB signals and live with the black and white picture. Your application requires colour so you need either a DVD player with RGB outputs or a box to split RGB from video. Plus you need the ability to output in NTSC & PAL from the DVD just in case or at least switch between 50/60hz frames.

It will be a while before I get round to any of this still sadly as we have just had a conservatory fitted but I need to fit heating, plaster it, bash a doorway and all the other bits sadly.

Iain

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links