Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2006 D-4d Poor Mpg

Yaris '06

I feel the issue of poor MPG / Fuel Consumption in the new 2006 D4D Yaris needs it's own topic.

Please add your comments in here as I'm interested to see how many other owners have this problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

You're being unrealistic at the moment. Your car is barely run-in and the mpg will improve considerably as your miles increase.

:yes:

A

Yaris '06, as alan says give it a bit of time to run in, i've started to notice a slight improvment in my diesel the more miles I put on it. I do up to 500miles a week so may be different to yourself depending how many miles you are covering

Everytime I fill up my new D4D the range is increasing...

Its averging 52.6 MPG which for me is an improvement over the 1.0l that is replaced which was lucky to get to 48 or 49.

Quite interestingly, i believe that it has a 40litre tank, and when i filled up today (with a range of 50 miles) it only took 30 litres of diesel, now as far as i'm concerned I hope that I get further than 50 miles on 10 litres of diesel!

It would appear the guage is inaccurate, I think you need to ask yourself why you bought the car? For the MPG or because you like the Yaris and its great to Drive?

We have a Volvo V50 2.0D and that only produces 48mpg max and has done 22000 miles, they claim 60mpg (approx) too.....

As it stands, if I drive very very lightly, I can just about get 62MPG (according to the computer). Normal driving is 52MPG or less. It is very likely (as many have mentioned) the computer is quite inaccurate.

I'm doing a physical test now - i.e. fill up, drive 100 miles, fill up and measure the MPG.

Yes - i guess it's improving by a small margin. I'm open minded, but not yet totally convinced. Apart from this, I'm more than happy with the car.

On a different note - I won a full TNS 310 + ETA DVD navigation system on eBay a few days ago - £250!! Was delivered totally sealed and complete. I've had to spend about £20 for 3 Yaris subharness cables, but this is it! Cool eh?

Give it a chance!

I had a Yaris D4D (2004) and avaraged about 55mpg overall (until engine problems became apparent) - worst was 45mpg (while towing a trailer), best was about 78mpg!

You need to allow at leat 3000 miles to get best economy from any modern diesel. I get 57mpg average from Renault Modus over first 800 miles from new - I expect that this will continue to improve over next 2000 miles or so..

Good deal on the Nav system btw... Let us know how you get on with it :thumbsup:

A

My other half does 80 miles each day on M42 at approx 70/80mph and gets over 70mpg on every tank full.

Most accurate way to guage consumption is to fill to the brim every time and zero the counter.

We KNOW we should get over 650 miles each tank, but we always fill once we have covered 600 miles, we rarely look at the guage.

Well my d4d has now done 1100 miles and I can't get anymore than 45mpg. Had a major whinge at the dealer and at toyota customer services and neither gives a *****, say the figures have to be published by law and are set by the DOT not Toyota themselves so if I have a problem to moan to the DOT not them, charming!!

Freakin' hells sake....

Let me explain once more....

The published MPG figures are taken from tests conducted in a lab and from a simulation computer... there is NO real-world driving involved. The dealer doesn't have to do anyhting because there are too many factors involved which affect your MPG figure... I'll list just a couple:

Driving style (Speed, engine breaking, gear-change patterns etc)

Tyre condition

Tyre pressure

Fuel condition

Oil condition

Weather (dry & wet roads have differing frictional properties)

Air temperature (cold air is denser allowing for a better 'burn')

Engine temperature

Weight (test car is unladen, it doesn't have 80kg's+ of human inside)

Spring/damping rates (movement of car on uneven surfaces... engine works harder when car moves about a lot)

Incline (downhill reads a better MPG figure on computer)

Road condition (rutted surfaces cause engine to work harder)

Shall I go on??

There is nothing toyota will do... yes the figures are innacurate, but so are the figures for EVERY SINGLE car manufacturer in the world. So just stop the whinging and get on enjoying everything else that the car offers, because if all you bought the car for was MPG figures then you need to take a long, hard look at your life... If you still think the car is underperforming in 10,000 miles then you may have a case, but your car still has what i'd class as delivery mileage... just enjoy life... you may get run-over by a bus tomorrow.

Well that last post was complete <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s, the published figures for the micra I bought were 53.3mpg around town and I never got below that, so if their figures can be accurate why can't Toyotas??

Why is it?

All Seveer is saying is to not take the "official" figures so seriously and actually enjoy the car you have!

You havent even run the car in properly at 1100 miles, give it a chance, stop whinging about it and enjoy it!! Take a look at the factors list Seveer posted.... all those contribute to mpg and most of them are out of your control....

Give it til 10,000 miles, run it it, but most of all, enjoy it, so what if you dont get a couple of extra miles per gallon - its not the end of the world! ;)

Well with fuel prices as they are a "few miles to the gallon" as you put it demonic is actually worth quite a bit these days.

Telling to stop whinging indeed, I thought you were a nice girl!!

I am nice, but I'm also realistic! ;)

I'm telling you to enjoy the great car you have and to not take things Toyota (or the DOT for that matter!) say seriously!

Hey, if I was whinging about something I'd fully expect you to tell me not to..... ;) :lol:

All I'm saying is, give your car a chance - I'm so nice that I'm sticking up for your car that doesnt have a voice.... if thats not nice, I dont know what is! :lol:

Well that last post was complete <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s, the published figures for the micra I bought were 53.3mpg around town and I never got below that, so if their figures can be accurate why can't Toyotas??

53.3mpg around town???

That sounds like the most boring car in the whole entire world.

My guess for the innacuracy at this stage is that toyota have published figures for the engine NOT, the engine when it's in a yaris! I believe the engine is used in another car, so they just run the engine to see what it can achieve and steal those figures making teeny adjustments to what they think it will do. What they foget is that the new yaris has been made a lard-a**e and that will obviously affect the MPG.

I still say chill though... go for a nice driving on a country road... give it some! Then have a picnic! It's what life's all about!

devon_guy

Where abouts are you.

I'm in North Devon.

My D4d has jut got 10,000 miles on now.

I'm still getting and have for quite a while 500 plus miles to the tank.

When I fill up I take the trip reading and divide by gals used. Normally arround 60 mpg. Last tank was 62mpg.

Anything over 55mpg is realy great after a Volvo 850 max 32mpg on a run, down hill following a Skoda!!!

Ray

It really does seem to depend on how you drive. I do agree that the published MPG is total nonsense (and Toyota should be ashamed), however the car appears to return good economy if you drive it very 'lightly'.

Normal driving (say with the odd press down of the right foot) should leave you in high 50s. 70MPG plus is unrealistic, however is possible if you can suffer 50MPH constantly on a motorway.

Lets face it £50 for 12 months tax, dirt cheap insurance and running costs, plus jap reliability - the car has more to offer than economy. Compared to my peugeot 206 (which was a bag of crap) this car is a dream.

Hi Rayburn, I'm in Torquay and bought my yaris from Barnstaple. Just filled up tank again and still getting around 45ish, how the hell are you getting such a high figure??

And as for the "dirtcheap" insurance Yaris06, I wouldn't go that far, its actually cost me more to insure than my micra, over £300 and thats with full protected no claims, so its not that cheap.

Hi Rayburn, I'm in Torquay and bought my yaris from Barnstaple. Just filled up tank again and still getting around 45ish, how the hell are you getting such a high figure??

And as for the "dirtcheap" insurance Yaris06, I wouldn't go that far, its actually cost me more to insure than my micra, over £300 and thats with full protected no claims, so its not that cheap.

Well I dont hang arround when I'm driving. Did Bristol last week, then next day Plymouth.

So far I have 360 miles on this tank. Gauge reads about half full. Got Minehead on wednesday.

So far this Yaris is giving me more mpg than my 1200cc motorbike....

Insurance.

Fully comp'. Me & the Misses £155. with protected ncb. (tesco)

Wife drives a Yaris 1.3 cdx. Me and Her f/c £145 different insurance comp'.

What a difference from running 2 Volvos.

Here in Devon we dont need such big cars now.

Ray

He's getting that figure because his engine has done 9000 miles more than yours. He's given it a chance. Plus, like I've said before, his driving style will be different, weather, tyres etc etc.

And £300 is dirt-cheap. For a 1.4 Diesel car with nearly 100bhp... sounds good to me.

You've never appeared on that programme 'grumpy old men' have you?? You seem to dislike just about everything.... except your micra, making you an ideal candidate for the programme. :lol:

Its a free country and a free forum, I'm entitled to express my opinion the same as you are yours. And for your information yes I do much prefer my micra wish to god I had never got rid of it, the Yaris is ******* as is Toyota as a whole in my experience, both the dealership and the main company have not given a damn since they sold me the car, typical of most dealers these days once they have got hold of your money they don't care, hardly good customer service.

Evening Peeps

See the D4D fuel economy is still high on the topic list. Mines done 1500miles now and well impressed with it. The more miles I put on it the better it gets (performance and economy) and thats not driving carefully either. It's a flying machine the D4D, might have to get a tuning box soon.

Just one point to note devon_guy, yours is an MMT D4D so the fuel economy is always going to be less than a D4D manual transmission. Insurance minded, mine cost me just over £300 fully comp and i'm 25 which isn't that bad as seveer puts it for "a 1.4 Diesel car with nearly 100bhp".

If you are really that unhappy with the car then pay a visit to the dealer and explain your unhappiness or if you don't mind losing a bit of money trade it in for a Micra or.... be constructive and think about what made you buy the Yaris in the first place as it can't be fuel economy and if it is, 45-50mpg ain't all that bad!

Pj06

[[quotheow the hell are you getting such a high figure??]

Well there you go Devon-Guy.

I didn't notice that you had a mmm.

But as others have said, when you get a little more mileage on it, it will get better.

No you will not get as much mpg as a manual car.

One of my Volvos was an automatic, that was at least 5/8 miles p.g. less than a manual.

Just one(2 really) Qs.

Are you realy seriouse about that Micra. "I do much prefer my micra wish to god I had never got rid of it,"

Not only have I owned a Micra, for my Daughter, but I have worked on them as a Motor Vehicle Technician.

Give me the Yaris any day. OK they do have their faults, but what car doesn't. (apart from Volvo).

Was your Micra an Automatic?

I have worked on them, what a load of, in My opinion anyway.

Nope I had the 82bhp diesel and it flew and hardly used any fuel. And the MM is not supposed to be any more thirsty than the manual unlike conventional autos. It is a completely different setup from a conventional auto, its just a manual gearbox with an electronically controlled clutch, it even changes gear like a manual if you listen to the engine.

Tuning box is the way forward for better MPG and performance. Running well over 100BHP now with little impact on consumption. Watch the faces of those annoying £149 per month Clio 16v drivers when you leave them for dust!

I agree with other members that MPG improves with mileage, however I can see the arguement about MPG, NO it isn't as good as stated - Toyota must know this by now, but the car is fantastic. Try owning a Pug 206 when it's having a bad year- lol - I was on first name terms at my local dealer!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links