Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlights

DVH

2003 2ltr is forever blowing bulbs, no particular pattern to it

Had the so called Toyota long life bulbs Ha Ha Ha 2000miles before failure

tried osram, ring.

Had the car 9 month 5000 miles and replaced 6 bulbs to date

Last night No. 7 failure.

The next problem is gaining access, can get to the nearside, but the offside is hidden behind the screen wash bottle, and I find it unbelievable that the front has to come off to pull the lamp forward to gain enough access. its now getting expensive to run, my wife takes it to the dealer evertime they fail

the dealer cannot give a reason for failures.

Batt and alternator replaced wiring and connections supposedly checked

Has anyone else had the same problem?, how was it resolved?

turning out to be not hte reliable car toyota make out

alternator, batt, 02 sensor, 7headlamp bulbs, fuel computer playing up, aircon not working

all the above replaced, except bulbs, under warranty getting concerned warranty runs out soon

all this on a 2003 2ltr spirit petrol, only got 20000 miles up

I had the condensation problem but both units were replaced, condensation is not the problem, its just constant bulb failure

If there ain't a problem with the electrical supply, like the alternator then it will be sommat else. Either a dodgy connection causing the bulbs to flicker or just crappy bulbs.

You really need to push this one. Demand a logical reason to their failure, and don't accept a "dunno". It's not normal for bulbs to go so often. They should last a minimum of 6 months under really heavy use i'd say.

Mr T has issued a service bulletin of a modificaton for increasing lifetime of the headlight bulbs on Avensis T25. Drop me a PM and I will give this info to you.

2003 2ltr is forever blowing bulbs, no particular pattern to it

tried osram, ring.

The next problem is gaining access, can get to the nearside, but the offside is hidden behind the screen wash bottle, and I find it unbelievable that the front has to come off to pull the lamp forward to gain enough access. its now getting expensive to run, my wife takes it to the dealer evertime they fail

alternator, batt, 02 sensor, 7headlamp bulbs, fuel computer playing up, aircon not working

all the above replaced, except bulbs, under warranty getting concerned warranty runs out soon

2003 2ltr is forever blowing bulbs, no particular pattern to it :angry::crybaby:

tried osram, ring.

I think all avensis owners who are having problems with headlamps regardless of warrenty should get together and make toyota admit that headlamp units were a design fault and their should have been a recall.

I was driving down a country lane last week that had no street lighting, you guessed it both lamps failed

had to use full beam blinding other drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

In a nutshell then there is a design fault, and it appears the lamps are overheating which will explain the volt drop resistors to the lamps.

The dealer carried out the mod, after trying new lamp units, only fault is the light output is even worse, not really practical for driving on unlit roads

• 3 months later...

My Avensis is 45000 km now and had each front light changed once (and I always drive with lights on). Today I went for the 45000 km revision and decided to change (as suggested by the dealer) for brighter lamps (33 €, 20 % brighter) and they found that the lamp "holders" were burnt and will change them under the warranty. Tomorrow I'll pick the car and tell you about the new lights!

There has been some postings on this forum about more efficient /powerful headlamp bulbs from those peopel who just wanted more light and did not necessarily have any problems with the headlamp unit /bulbholders.

Does anyone know if the fitting of those higher specification/higher wattage) bulbs solves the short lifetime problem?

I guess not otherwise My Toyota would have stuck them in instead of messing around with resistors in the circuit. That's a very low tech energy wasting low tech solution. The fact they mention changing the reflector material suggests they are not sufficiently reflective, but are absorbing heat which will do the bulbholders in eventually.

It really is surprising that after 30 years of halogen bulbs which often last the life of the car, Toyota manage to get it so wrong using the same basic technology.

• 2 months later...

My Avensis is 45000 km now and had each front light changed once (and I always drive with lights on). Today I went for the 45000 km revision and decided to change (as suggested by the dealer) for brighter lamps (33 €, 20 % brighter) and they found that the lamp "holders" were burnt and will change them under the warranty. Tomorrow I'll pick the car and tell you about the new lights!

Pedro

How did your new lights turn out?

Just a quick question... I am picking up my 53 (Nov 2003) Touring T3-X next Wedsnesday, and although the car was outside, and lots of other Avensis's had big beads of water in the light units mine only had very fine fog so I'm not too worried about them...

My big question is... is it really sooooo very hard to change the bulbs, i usually change mine to a more powerfull set as i spend a lot of time driving down unlit country lanes....

Sorry to say it but yes there are a pig to change, I've not had any go in mine yet! its just over 2 years old with 17k on the clock. You can see there gonna be hard work tho by just looking at the space you have to work in.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links