Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1988 Corolla Dx Questions - Struts & More

Dave in MN

Hi to all from a newbie,

We recently purchased a 1988 Corolla DX (4dr, 3 spd auto) for my high school daughter to use for driving to school, to work, to get into trouble, etc. It has 104,000 miles on the odometer and is generally in good condition.

We received much of the maintenace history (in the form of workshop receipts) with the car and found it to be fairly well cared for, for example the timing belt was replaced at 70k miles.

So far:

- We had the nearly bald tires replaced

- I'm going thru the routine engine maintenance/tune-up items (plugs, cap, rotor, timing, oil/filter, PCV valve, etc.).

- Replaced the AAP diaphragm (old one had pinholes)

- Replaced the front brake pads and had the rotors turned

Two questions:

1. The suspension is in poor shape. The front end is especially bad, it bounces after going over a bump. I know the struts need to be replaced. Is this a do-it-yourself job? I'm relatively adept mechanically, but have never replaced any struts. And yes, I know it needs an alignment afterward.

2. Are there any known problems that are unique to this model?

Thanks in advance, Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Hi to all from a newbie,

We recently purchased a 1988 Corolla DX (4dr, 3 spd auto) for my high school daughter to use for driving to school, to work, to get into trouble, etc. It has 104,000 miles on the odometer and is generally in good condition.

We received much of the maintenace history (in the form of workshop receipts) with the car and found it to be fairly well cared for, for example the timing belt was replaced at 70k miles.

So far:

- We had the nearly bald tires replaced

- I'm going thru the routine engine maintenance/tune-up items (plugs, cap, rotor, timing, oil/filter, PCV valve, etc.).

- Replaced the AAP diaphragm (old one had pinholes)

- Replaced the front brake pads and had the rotors turned

Two questions:

1. The suspension is in poor shape. The front end is especially bad, it bounces after going over a bump. I know the struts need to be replaced. Is this a do-it-yourself job? I'm relatively adept mechanically, but have never replaced any struts. And yes, I know it needs an alignment afterward.

2. Are there any known problems that are unique to this model?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Hey dave, maybe we can exchange notes a bit. Im getting the feeling that 88's or none gts corollas arent going to get much love in these parts. Check out :

http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_Toyota_...rolla_1988.html

&

tercelonline.com, their actually pretty knowledgable of many toyotas. a few people felt sorry for the newbie having the post viewd about 20+ times and only 1 response and gave a link to someone that might be of some help. gotta lend a hand every once in a while....hope it helps!