Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking Sensors?

stewybear

I have placed an order for my new LC5 which should be here in 1st week of September....Yipee :D

I didn't order the parking sensors from Toyota because the salesman suggested that the system was not very good, due to it only having two sensors. This meant that there was not very good coverage of the bumper. He also said that a three or four sensor system could not be used because of the bumper construction, but he couldn't elaborate any more than this.

Does anybody know of the bumper construction issues that he is talking about ?

I am determined to install a system and get it to work :thumbsup:

I have found several three and four sensor systems but like the Quanan system the best. This comes with a display unit which you normally mount somewhere on/in the dash.

My main question is.........Is there a ducting from the back of the car to the front to enable me to route the thin cable from the control box in the back to the display unit in the front? or have I got to start stripping out the trim to hide the cable.

Regards

Stewybear

Hiya, I've got a LC5 coming at the beginning of September as well, ain't we lucky!! Like you I looked into having parking sensors fitted. The salesman told me they could fit 4 sensors to the rear bumper( 2 sets of 2 ) . He told me the only trouble was that the 2 central sensors would have to be drilled through the steel chasis at the rear but that it could be done and they have done it a few times! Also when reversing under the sensors you've got to rember the spare wheel mounted on the back door if thats the option you're having!Good luck with your motor! :thumbsup:

Hi, I'm waiting for an LC5 too!.......also September and I've ordered the sensors.....if you look at the Australian Toyota website.....

http://www.prado.toyota.com.au/Prado03/Por...190-150,00.html

They say that the ParkAssist device they fit has 4 sensors....I assumed it would here too....better check it out as 2 sensors won't give proper coverage. Can't understand why its not a standard fit.

Regards

dhc-manx

Thanks for the info guys, thats great. I have had a further thought though.

I am having a towbar fitted (Witter towbar not Toyota) and think that maybe the best way to go is to make a little bracket that can be mounted between the towball and the towbar. This way, it can be positioned in such a way that the towbar will not interefe with the operation of the sensor and you can increase to a three sensor system.

Stew: I know that the dealers have agreed to fit the sensors (to their credit) but have you thought how this might give you problems with you corrosion warranty which stands at twelve years as standard. Thats along time to be annoyed with your dearler cos he won't honour the warranty?

Stewybear ; I decided against having sensors fitted in the end. Would have thought in your case if having a towbar fitted then you would'nt need sensors either. A towbar seems a good piece of stuff to protect your car!! Cheaper than sensors too I think! :thumbsup:

hi all, i have the sensors on my 2003 NRG and they work well, they have a wide angle so they do cover the back of the rav..

• 3 months later...

Due to the construction of the LC bumper it is a difficult (and Toyota state, impossible) job to mount more that the two standard sensors, which are clearly inadequate. There is another option, www.parking-sensor.co.uk can supply Quanan Parking Sensor kits and on their accessory section (www.parking-sensor.co.uk/acc) sell under bumper brackets which are ideal for overcoming the issue of drilling into the bumper and still end up with a professional looking job.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Well, I have worked out why toyota don't want to fit four sensors. Its cos the lazy gits dont want to remove the bumper........thats the only reason. :arrgg-matey:

The two sensor system that they want to fit is easy cos there is no reason to remove the bumper.

If you do remove it.....and it is really easy to remove....... you will find that there is more than enough room to fit the sensors without drilling the rear cross member.

I took several hours to fit mine cos I was worried about drilling holes in the wrong place and making the holes too big with the obvious poor results. I have managed to get excellent (complete) coverage of my rear bumper and the news only gets better...... :D

I have a towbar fitted also. So I have managed to get complete coverage and miss the towbar (which can be a problem if your not carefull).

Also the zone which gets the alert warning for minimum distance is about 30cm/12". With the towbar fitted, this means that you get a warning at about 6-7cm or 3" from the hazard cos the towbar sticks out 9". This enables you to park really easily and removes the last bit of guesswork out of parking.

Hope this was helpfull. If you want to see the finished results, email me and I'll send a picture. combustionrus@hotmail.com

Regard

Stewart

Hi Stewybear,

I am interested in mounting parking sensors on my RAV 4. I would be most obliged if you could advice me on the procedure as you have so successfully executed it. I have sent a letter to your E mail address concerning the details. I actually sent two letters to you by mistake (I thought that I was posting one of them here! Klicked the wrong button.)Please reply here or to my E mail address. Please help.

Rajiv

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links