Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help With New Celica T Sport

makem

I have never had a car with 6 gears. Handbook says gear should be selected at certain revs for best economy and efficiency. Does anyone know what revs are appropriate for each gear?

Also, I would like to change the standard aerial for a short one (bee sting?) but I am told the threads will be different from those supplied in say Halfords. has anyone found an aerial that fits?

6th is for motorway cruising. So 60-70mph i would say will be the best time to use it for maximum economy :thumbsup:

It's a relatively short ratio box. A run-in engine will be happy at these minimum speeds, roughly:

1st - get going

2nd - 10+

3rd - 16+

4th - 23+

5th - 30+

6th - 40+

A new engine will be noticeably tight, though, so your minimum speeds will be higher.

Paul.

When I had my Celica T-Sport I'd only go into 6th if I was cruising on A roads or on the motorway. Stay in anything between 3rd - 5th for fast / spirited country-road driving.

6th doesn't give you much acceleration at all - it's too tall.

It's a relatively short ratio box. A run-in engine will be happy at these minimum speeds, roughly:

1st - get going

2nd - 10+

3rd - 16+

4th - 23+

5th - 30+

6th - 40+

A new engine will be noticeably tight, though, so your minimum speeds will be higher.

Paul.

Many thanks for that info, it will be very helful. As a matter of fact I am so ignorant I didn't realise it had to be run in! I never use it as a 'racer' anyway.

what do you suggest for running in?

When I had my Celica T-Sport I'd only go into 6th if I was cruising on A roads or on the motorway. Stay in anything between 3rd - 5th for fast / spirited country-road driving.

6th doesn't give you much acceleration at all - it's too tall.

Thanks for that. I always go into 6th at over 50 mph as I did in my 5 speed box previously. If I need acceleration I always change down 1 or 2 gears depending on the acceleration needed.

I am happy to reach whatever cruising speed I choose at a slower pace lol.

BTW I am still having problems find a suitable aerial replacement - the base of the ones I have tried is always to large a diameter to sit nicely on the existing mounting. I have had an off to turn down the diameter of one and spray it black! (it is silver atm)

what do you suggest for running in?

Check your manual, but the Corolla (same engine, transmission) has to do the first 1200 miles at between 2000 and 4000rpm. I found that when it was tight to begin with sometimes it didn't like doing even 2000rpm, was better higher.

Seemed that it had fully loosened up by about 6000 miles or so.

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links