Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 Camry Alignment Problems?

Cometstorm

Mary,

I also have a 2001 Solara that has pulled Left since day one. If you read back through this thread, you'll see that I have done just about everything imaginable to get it fixed. The tactics that worked for 2003/04 owners didn't work for me.

According to the Factory tech rep, the TSB can't be applied to a 2001 because the parts are different and they are not interchangeable with later models. Maybe he is lying - I don't know. Of course, they never acknowledged that there is a problem in the first place. They claim that it is a normal characteristic of the model. Hard to argue with that!

I would love to hear that you have success getting yours fixed - Good Luck! I have given up and learned to live with it. Of course, I never miss an opportunity to rely my story to potential new car buyers. That's about the only satisfaction I can get from this horrible Toyota experience.

To make matters worse, my brother is a VW Factory Regional Rep. He was p*ssed that I bought a Toyota in the first place. Now I have to listen to the "I told you so" routine whenever he sees my car. :(

Good luck! I hope you succeed.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intruder

• Outville

• Cometstorm

• hyyz

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary--I also had a "right drifter", and I was frustrated and angry about how the Toyota service manager (from the dealer that I bought my 2003 Camry from in January '03) treated my problem (please go back in this thread and see my comments of 26 June, 2004; "earthbound"). Since then, I was lucky enough to contact a service manager from another Toyota dealer in my area--and the difference in attitude/support was like night and day. Whereas the first SM told me I had no problem, but if I was unhappy I could go to arbitration (see my prior 26 June summary), the second SM readily acknowledged the problem (unacceptable right drift), diagnosed the cause in two separate visits, and corrected it. (Poway Toyota in San Diego; Mr. Greg Chalmers). Here is what he found:

When SM #2 came into the picture, the car was 18 months old and had 7600 miles on it. I had earlier spent approximately 4 months going to the Firestone/Bridgestone dealer, during which time 6 new Bridgestone Potenze 15" RE92 tires were mounted (First RF, then LF, then a complete new set of 4). So that made 10 Bridgestone tires on the car since I purchased it 18 months ago. On my first of two visits, SM #2 checked and rechecked alignment. Right drift remained unchanged. On the second visit, SM #2 told me he was going to concentrate on tires. (Considering all the tires that had been mounted, I had written tires off as a possible cause). SM #2 proceeded to swap the existing Bridgestone tires into every possible position on the car. Right drift increased! Then he took all 4 tires (with rims) off of a new straight-driving Camry (it did not have Bridgestone tires), and he mounted those 4 tires (with rims) onto my car. Surprise! The car drove absolutely straight! Having identified tires as the culprit, he put my rims back on the car with a new set of Dunlop tires. Thanks to him, I now have a car that is a pleasure to drive.

I hope that this might encourage you to take a hard look at tires as the possible source of the right drift on your car. Good luck.

I also have a new Camry 04 drifting left since day one. It was purchased a month ago (June 04) and I have been the dealership service dept 3 times without having it fixed. Thanks to the posts on this site and other, I knew the problem and its history after the 1st service trip. And I am escalating to the national service center now.

Like most of you had experienced, the dealership (Roswell GA) applied the service bulletin 01-005 without any effect. The second trip the technician inflated the left tire to 35 psi just to hide the problem. I did not even test drive it on freeway and immediately returned to the dealership for the 3rd time. Well, I read from a post about the same trick (inflating left tire more) so I knew to check the tire pressure. The 3rd time, they started to deny there is a problem. They claimed to have test driven it and there was no problem now. But the problem persisted.

So I called the national service center and the rep immediately found the service bulletin (ST 02-004) and acknowledge the problem and promised to have a factory rep to inspect it. OK.

My plan is to quickly escalate the issue to higher up, and maybe go to arbitration. OR I'll wear them down before they do that to me. I am only 3 miles from the dealership.

A sales manager encouraged me to write to the owner of the dealership. But I doubt this has any effect at all. But I do have another plan. I can print out some of the post and write a summary letter listing all web sites on this problem, and hand the printouts to Honda dealership in the region! Or other competing dealerships in the region! What do you think?

Meanwhile, I try to deal with this calmly. Things happen, and it takes a leveled head to solve this issue. Yes it is a lot of money and I am deeply disappointed -- I tried so hard to avoid a lemon! -- but I'll enjoy the car and enjoy the battle.

Update: 8/4/2004

The SE service center called me and the rep suggested that I test-drive it with the service manager. Well, I did. The manager tried to explain to me that the drift was caused by the crown of the road. On the left lanes, the car clearly drifted toward left, but on the right lanes, it either did not drift or most of the time slowly drifted toward left. Only occasionally it drifted toward right. I guess it is hard to counter-argue his points. So I said if there is no alignment problem, it should not develop a uneven tire wearing problem over time. If it does then there is a problem. The service manager agreed and said they will check it the next time it is brought to service.

Update 8/13/2004

After the test drive, I spoke with the SE service manager Patrick. This guy is very arrogant. I asked to extend the waranty on the alignment a little bit because I wanted to have more time to observe the problem beyond the 12K standard waranty (This actually was suggested by the dealership service manager). He flatly, adamantly refused. I then said that leaves no choice but to get it checked out by an indepedent alignment shop and I may go to arbitration. He reponded: go ahead. Whatever the shop may say, "Toyota will not change its position". He also bragged "I am very familiar with the arbitration process", implying that Toyota will win for sure.

When I first spoke with him before the test drive, I mentioned the amount of complaints on the internet and it should cause serious concern by Toyota. He completely dismissed it. "Camry is the best selling car in America. Having 35 cases of complaints on mycarstats.com does not mean anything when we can sell hundreds of thousands of cars each year."

Daniel,

That was the same argument they tried with me, but it didn't wash. If the road crown was causing a pull it would follow the crown. A slight left drift on a right crown and a hard left drift on a left crown says is is pulling to the left all the time. The left pull on the Camry, if caused by the struts, will not cause tire wear--only strut wear because it is caused by binding in the strut bearings. A drift to one direction or another depending on crown is normal for a car with road feel, a left pull will eventually result in a head-on collision.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Where'd everybody go?

Have Toyotas suddenly started to drive in a straight line or has everyone just given up on ever getting satisfaction?

As for me, I gave up. I am not going to waste any more time fighting a losing battle.

My car has only 24k miles and it's ready for a new set of tires all around. They were rotated repeatedly by Toyota to correct the left pull. Nothing they ever attempted made a difference in straightline stability.

I'm hanging around to assist others who encounter this problem. I'm sorry to hear that Cometstorm and Intruder have given up, but I understand. You guys have been the most dedicated of the group and deserve better. As for me, my Camry drives straight and true. Of course, it is sensitive to the road conditions, but handles well and is pleasant on a long trip. It just turned up 16000 miles last week, at exactly 12 months of ownership. So far the fuel mileage is 32.8 overall, which includes a mix of city and rural driving. I am fairly easy on the throttle and rarely drive over 65 unless I'm on a long trip. On long trips I go as fast as traffic allows. Sustained speeds of 85 have not shown an adverse effect on fuel mileage. Before the steering problem was corrected, high speed travel was out of the question. My problem was finally resolved after 5 months, but not without a great deal of effort on my part. Toyota definitely did not want to resolve my problem.

Outville, Good to hear you have had such luck. My combined fuel milage for my 4 cyl Limited Edition is about 26 mpg. Even on a recent 700 mile trip I only got 30.8 mpg with the cruise set the whole way. In order to achieve the 26 mpg I have to use 89 octane fuel; 87 octane only yields about 24 mpg - Toyota says nothing is wrong.

With regards to the car pulling left, I barely notice it anymore after the latest alignment specs were applied. It is still very sensitive to road conditions and wind.

One other problem that I have had is a strange feeling on the steering wheel when I make left turns. It feels like the right front CV joint is popping but I can't really hear anything. It's done this since day one and doesn't seem to get any worse. The dealership says it is a boot along the steering shaft that requires lubrication. They lubricated it but I noticed no improvement.

I'm just astonished that so many of us have had problems and so few have found resolutions to them. I can't help but think that Toyota's sales will suffer from this. I absolutely will not buy another Toyota. Prior to this Camry, I have owned 3 Corollas, all of which had atleast 200,000 miles on the odometer. With me, Toyota has surely lost a valued customer.

Toyota has lost me as a customer too.

I just sold my old '94 Camry and that car still tracks straight as an arrow. It's a better car to drive than my '01 Solara. The suspension on the '94 was never touched in 140,000 miles - original struts all round - never aligned.

• 1 month later...

MY 2003 CAMRY PULLS TO THE LEFT.....CROWN OF THE ROAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT......STEERING FEELS LOOSE AND CAR DRIFTS AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS..........DEALER SERVICE MANAGER INSULTED ME BY SAYING THIS WAS NORMAL.........THAT MEANS ALL THE OTHER CARS I HAVE EVER OWNED WERE 'ABNORMAL'.........TIRE BALANCING AND ALIGNMENT DID NO GOOD AT ALL........ TOYOTA NEEDS TO RECOGNIZE AND ADMIT THIS PROBLEM.....I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THAT CAR......BYE, BYE TOYOTA.......

As I said in earlier posts, I too have the same problem. Brought to dealer several times without a solution. This car also has rattles from windshield to door panel. I definitely won't buy a Toyota again!

• 2 months later...

Hi, all,

Has anyone actually tried this new fix (revised TSB)? I want to know the outcome before I bring my Camry to dealer again. I wish this time this is the real fix (it confirms my guess).

bps,

What makes you say this is a "new fix that completely fixes the problem and is not a band aid"? Can you share with us? Thank you.

Yong

To all:

I have great news!!!!  The TSB was revised on 12-14-04 and there is a new fix that completely fixes the problem and is not a band aid.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11019744...R-04/index.html

In the new TSB, they will replace your springs which corrects the problem.  Good luck to all!!!

Hi, all,

Has anyone actually tried this new fix (revised TSB)? I want to know the outcome before I bring my Camry to dealer again. I wish this time this is the real fix (it confirms my guess).

bps,

What makes you say this is a "new fix that completely fixes the problem and is not a band aid"? Can you share with us? Thank you.

Yong

To all:

I have great news!!!!  The TSB was revised on 12-14-04 and there is a new fix that completely fixes the problem and is not a band aid.

In the new TSB, they will replace your springs which corrects the problem.  Good luck to all!!!

The dealer ordered the new springs and I'm waiting for them to come in right now. As soon as I have them installed, I'll let you know how it goes. The reason that I'm currently assuming that it's the real "fix" is due to replacement parts being involved. Why would Toyota dish out all of that $$$$ If new springs won't solve the problem.

Hi, all,

bps,

Yong

To all:

The dealer ordered the new springs and I'm waiting for them to come in right now. As soon as I have them installed, I'll let you know how it goes. The reason that I'm currently assuming that it's the real "fix" is due to replacement parts being involved. Why would Toyota dish out all of that $$$$ If new springs won't solve the problem.

Unfortunately I see that they are only fixing 2004 & 2005 models. The rest of us can go screw.

I just replaced all 4 bald tires on my drifting Solara at 25,000 miles. :angry:

Anyway, I couldn't bear the thought of going back to a Toyota dealer again just to have them tell me that my stability problems are "a characteristic of these cars"! How can you argue with that?

:ffs:

• 3 weeks later...

Got the new springs installed over the weekend and noticed a huge improvment. The car now tracks however the crown in the road is angled. If there pavement is perfectly flat, the car does not pull either way. I very satisfied.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine has a 2004 Camry Solara he has only had it a few months and it pulls to one side, it randomly shifts, or hesitates when the accelerator is "punched", attempting to pass another vehical doesn't happen anymore.

I am compiling a list of problems spaning years on a website www.toyota-solara.8m.com as my friend is now in the process of sueing Toyota as up til rescent they wouldn't acknowledge there were any problems with the car. And now they refuse to do anything about the car.

A friend of mine has a 2004 Camry Solara he has only had it a few months and it pulls to one side, it randomly shifts, or hesitates when the accelerator is "punched", attempting to pass another vehical doesn't happen anymore.

I am compiling a list of problems spaning years on a website www.toyota-solara.8m.com  as my friend is now in the process of sueing Toyota as up til rescent they wouldn't acknowledge there were any problems with the car. And now they refuse to do anything about the car.

That sounds about par for the course. Toyota does not acknowledge defects in their cars and does not honor warrantees. Fortunately, they make pretty good cars but those of us who have had problems are stuck with them. They will deny problems over and over until they wear your out.

• 1 month later...

I have had an alignment problem with my 2003 Toyota Camry LE V6 with under 8000 miles on the vehicle. I have had to have three sets of front tires replaced and three alignments done and I'm still under 20,000 miles. The rotors have had to be shaved and Toyota wants to blame Continental & BF Goodrich stating there is a problem with the tires. Be serious.

There is an obvious defect with these vehicles. The reason we are not getting anywhere with the NHTSA is due to the fact that not enough of us are registering complaints.

Look in your owners manual. It specifically states "IF" the NHTSA receives similar complaints, it may open an investigation, and "IF" it finds that a safety defect exists in a "group" of vehicles. it may order a recall and remedy campaign.

So my suggestion is regardless of wether you think it's a waste of time or not, file a complaint. It's the only way any of us will ever have a chance.

You can call NHTSA toll free at 1-800-424-9393 or 1-800-366-0123 or write NHTSA, US Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C. 20590.

You also have to fill out the Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form you recieved in your Lemon Law book when you purchased your vehicle and report the defect to Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 (Get the address & send the Defect Notification by registered mail - return receipt requested).

Doing this is the only hope anyone has because if enough of us report it and get others to report, it we may see some results eventually.

Hello Everyone,

I've obtained some more information about what to do if your having these problems. It's obvious at this point it's not going to be settled by taking our cars to the dealership. I've already placed comments about how to file with the National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration but here are a few more things we should all be doing.

If you have had your car less than two years and the same problem has been reported to your dealer three times you must file a Motor Vehicle Defect Notification with the manufacturer. In the case of Toyota.

For Toyota, call 1-800-331-4331 and notify them of your complaint. Get a Case reference number and then send a letter (return reciept) with all the details. All your service reports and receipts (this substantiates the problem) and all the information you can find like the information on this site about others having similar problems. They have to reply within 10 days and have one more opportunity to fix the problem. If they don't, file a request for arbitration with your local State Attorney Generals Office under the Lemon Law.

BEWARE ALL THIS HAS TO BE DONE WITHIN 2 YEARS FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE. DON'T LET THE DEALERSHIPS GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND SO THAT THIS TIMEFRAME EXPIRES!!!!!

Also, file a complaint with your local Consumer Protection Agency and with the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, DC. Their website to file online is

WWW.FTC.Gov / Phone Number 202-326-2222

Also, to file youir complaint online with the NHTSA go to

WWW.NHTSA.DOT.GOV

I know some of you are giving up or you may even think the dealership has fixed your problem but be careful, after going through this for two years and redaing the other complaints, I've come to realize the dealership has their tricks, they've only put a bandaid on the problem. There is a defect with these vehicles and they are not fixing it. Check the car every 3000 miles, the problem with the alignment and the tires will return, only checkig the tread and alignment will alert you to the problem.

One other thing, Go online looking for problems with vehicles before you purchase. We've all had to learn the hard way. I won't buy another Toyota as long as I live, I'm also telling every person I know. Friends, Family and Coworkers. Don't buy Toyota in the first place. I had all the warranties they sell. I even had tire protection but guess what it doesn't cover tires ruined by "alignment" problems. And guess what else, Toyota will not admit there is an alignment problem which all comes down to you wasting your money on warranties that don't cover the problems the manufacturers know you'll have. Isn't that sweet?

Well, I hope you'll take my advice and file complaints with anyone that will listen. The more people that complain the better everyones chances are.

• 2 weeks later...

Capernic,

I've done all that stuff and also wrote letters to all my legislators. They passed my concerns to the NHTSA and returned their response to me.

The NHTSA stated that they they had received "a number of complaints" on this issue but they will not open a formal nvestigation because no fatalities have been attributed to the defect.

• 2 months later...

Here is a theory.

I just test drove an 04 Solara that had a very obvious pull to the left. The dealer must have known about this since he even went to the trouble to deflate one of the tires a bit to mask the problem. (The tire pressure warning light was on. )Reading about this problem made me think that this has to be a design flaw, being engineeringly minded. Well, in Japan they drive on the left side of the road, so maybe they designed the allignment tollerances to only work on Japaneese (and English) sloping roads (oops!!!). I wonder if people in England are also seeing this problem. Could explain a lot.

Didn't buy the car.

Thanks all of you for posting.

• 1 month later...
Here is a theory.

I just test drove an 04 Solara that had a very obvious pull to the left. The dealer must have known about this since he even went to the trouble to deflate one of the tires a bit to mask the problem. (The tire pressure warning light was on. )Reading about this problem made me think that this has to be a design flaw, being engineeringly minded.  Well, in Japan they drive on the left side of the road, so maybe they designed the allignment tollerances to only work on Japaneese (and English) sloping roads (oops!!!). I wonder if people in England are also seeing this problem. Could explain a lot.

Didn't buy the car.

Thanks all of you for posting.

I don't think that's the case. Camrys and Solaras are primarily intended for the North American market. The car shouldn't pull to either direction. I had a '94 Camry that still tracked straight as an arrow at 145,000 miles.

• 3 years later...

Well, I got screwed over. Dealer played me and then my warranty expired. My car is 6 years old now and I cant buy enough tires to keep this can running.

What I am wondering is, does this ST002-04 fix work on Toyota Camry 2003 LE or not? I spoke to dealer, they said it costs around $300 to do the service. So, can anyone confirm if this is worth doing? I don't want to do it if its only a partial fix and it keep wearing my tires. Any help is well appreciated.

By the way, Toyota has lost one more customer. If I am able to fix this, I will keep it. But HELL NO, i WILL NOT BUY another Toyota EVER AGAIN!