Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrc Anti-lag

irish_kev

Was just wondering.......

I've heard you guys mention the anti-lag on the WRC models and the fact that it'll damage the stock turbo. Anyone fancy explaining how it works??

AFAIK == basically the turbo spools up from turning the engine on, and never stops spinning ever.

ok tech head on.

an anti lag system (or ALS) works by doing two things.

first a valve opens and alows compressed air from the turbo to enter directly into the exhaust manifold. secondly the ecu switches to ALS mod and retards the ignition and cuts the spark intermitently. the charge then passes to the exhaust unburnt. because of the high temperatures there the fuel auto ignites the pressure of the explosion spins the turbo and hey presto we have lots of off throttle boost (WRC cars could hae as much as 1.5-2.0 bar boost with the throttle closed.)

the slight side effect is it kills your turbo very quickly. imagine the explosion usaly contained in the cylinder, in the exhast instead.

does sound cool though. had it on the rolla but wont be using it again

ok tech head on.

an anti lag system (or ALS) works by doing two things.

first a valve opens and alows compressed air from the turbo to enter directly into the exhaust manifold. secondly the ecu switches to ALS mod and retards the ignition and cuts the spark intermitently. the charge then passes to the exhaust unburnt. because of the high temperatures there the fuel auto ignites the pressure of the explosion spins the turbo and hey presto we have lots of off throttle boost (WRC cars could hae as much as 1.5-2.0 bar boost with the throttle closed.)

the slight side effect is it kills your turbo very quickly. imagine the explosion usaly contained in the cylinder, in the exhast instead.

does sound cool though. had it on the rolla but wont be using it again

Also stops your brake servo working due to no vaccum :D unless you get a dedicated vaccum pump for the brakes :thumbsup:

Now that does sound cool. :yes:

not surprising it wrecks the turbo. could you have it on a switch and only use it on 'special ocassions'?

Now that does sound cool. :yes:

not surprising it wrecks the turbo. could you have it on a switch and only use it on 'special ocassions'?

Possible but alot of work to get the anti-lag kit that's on the ST205 WRC to work, as although all the parts are there, their not in an active state. For starters although the pipes connect to the exhaust manifold the ports on the manifold are blanked off and would require drilling out, then you need a ECU capable of doing the nesscessary ignition retarding etc. IMO for the hastle and amount of damage it can cause it's really not worth it unless you in competion. For road driving it's not really pratical.

the rolla wrc cars had special inconel manifolds i belive to stop them destroying themselves

with a normal 'fold made of steel it tends to melt or shatter! :wacko: being as steel is a liquid somwhere around 900degrees and anti lag heat can hit around 1400!

• 4 weeks later...

a mate of mine got an st205 the other day. i think its a wrc model, but couldnt find the waterspray or see anything got to do with anti lag. could anyone post a pic of something that would help us identify if it is a wrc or not?

a mate of mine got an st205 the other day. i think its a wrc model, but couldnt find the waterspray or see anything got to do with anti lag. could anyone post a pic of something that would help us identify if it is a wrc or not?

Look at the dump valve pipe that comes off the chargecooler, it's the one on the right at the front next to the turbo, if it's just a pipe then it's not got the anti-lag and is most likely just a GT4, if theres a round valve like thing on the pipe then it's got anti-lag and it most likely a WRC.

Look on clicky for pics. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

well, i can remember that it had a sard r2d2 bov coming out of the charge cooler. that website'll get us sorted though....cheers man