Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Top Speed Restriction On 03 Toyota Previa D4d Gls

whitehot

Hi, am new to this site but I hope that you guys can help me solve this problem.

Last week I was driving along and the 'engine' light came on on the Dashboard. When this showed the car seemed to shut it self down. I pulled over to the side of the road and left it for about 10 minutes and restarted engine and light had gone out and car seemed fine. Until I got onto the motorway. The car would not accelerate past 80mph. :unsure: I know it will do more than this cause I had it up to 95+ mph the week before.

Is there a possibility that this light that came on triggered a limiter on the engine to stop any more damage, if so how do i reset it.

Hopfully sopme one will know what i am going on about :thumbsup:

Cheers

There will be an important reason why the light came in the first place. You can buy a tool to reset it, but i would be more inclined to have it check out using the diagnostic tool at toyota. Something need attention and they will be the ones to fix it unles your handy yourself.

Hi, am new to this site but I hope that you guys can help me solve this problem.

Last week I was driving along and the 'engine' light came on on the Dashboard. When this showed the car seemed to shut it self down. I pulled over to the side of the road and left it for about 10 minutes and restarted engine and light had gone out and car seemed fine. Until I got onto the motorway. The car would not accelerate past 80mph. :unsure: I know it will do more than this cause I had it up to 95+ mph the week before.

Is there a possibility that this light that came on triggered a limiter on the engine to stop any more damage, if so how do i reset it.

Hopfully sopme one will know what i am going on about :thumbsup:

Cheers

Hi -

Being a Toyota, it's an intelligent vehicle. It has sensed that you are an irresponsible driver and shall speed no more.

Regards

Erwin

• 1 month later...

Sandero

Most Engine Management systems have a "get you home" setting that is designed to minimise stress on the engine/transmission/electrical systems... Most of them allow the car to be driven carefully to the nearest dealer for attention...

If your Previa has flashed up the Electronic Control Module (ECM) light, then a fault code will be locked into the system... While that's there, the car will probably be in "get you home" mode... You need to clear the code yourself (Haynes manual #2048, Chapter 6, section 3) or have Mr Toymota rape your wallet :eek: for the privilege of having him do it...

Hope this helps... :thumbsup:

Jeff

do they do a haynes manual for the new shape previa?? didnt know that or notice it. I need one like.

do they do a haynes manual for the new shape previa?? didnt know that or notice it. I need one like.

Sorry... I didn't notice the year in your sig line... No, not yet.

Jeff

Took car to toyota and they plugged it into their diagnostics machine. Told me that there is a malfunction from the turbo and that it would cost £1850 to get it replaced.

Turbo is working cause u an hear it, and car has a lot of pull in the lower gears.

Can't believe a car of 3 years old has a broken turbo already am sure it just needs resetting.

Took car to toyota and they plugged it into their diagnostics machine. Told me that there is a malfunction from the turbo and that it would cost £1850 to get it replaced.

Turbo is working cause u an hear it, and car has a lot of pull in the lower gears.

Can't believe a car of 3 years old has a broken turbo already am sure it just needs resetting.

Whitheot

Modern turbos don't work on mechanical principles alone... There is an information loop between turbo and ECM... The ECM knows what the boost pressure is and if the wastegate is open and what temperature the turbo is running at... If the electronics pack on the turbo is Kaput, the ECM won't fuel the car properly, even though the turbo is mechanically sound... :(

It's pretty unusual for the electronic component of a turbo unit to fail... much more likely for the shaft bearings to fail... You may be able to get the parts 2nd hand...

With nearly £2k at risk in parts alone, I would seek out a 2nd opinion on this... :thumbsup:

Jeff

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links