Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uninsured Drivers. Untaxed Cars

daktari

Would you inform on these.  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Uninsured driver or Untaxed cars

• Yes. It`s the right thing to do.
    • No. It`s for the police to do
    • Not sure.

I hate people who grass

Are you sure your in the right club? with that kind of belief I think you need the TWOC club not TOC. But maybe your right... if everyone took that attitude in regards to all crimes the world would surely be a happier safer more lovely place to be :thumbsup:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Special Red

• Dreamblaze

• Jinxed

• jay dh

It kinda depends.......

I have driven cars with no MOt over brief periods, but I know if a car is safe of not, I have never driven a car that was blatantly unsafe to drive! I have also driven cars with no tax (why tax half way through a month? lol) I figure thats no biggie either as we already pay enough tax with fuel!! (esecially us supra drivers :D)

I have always been insured though... I have been hit by someone uninsured and they did £3k worth of damage to my pride and joy soarer TT, it tooks months to get the money to get it fixed!!

I agree

If the cars is road worthy but say the MOT ran out a week before I would drive it. I would not drive a major distance as I get paranoid as I smoke weed!! :lol:

I have driven mates cars uninsured and would simply give their details if pulled but like I said this is only occasionally, plus now Im fully comp Im insured anyway so thats no longer a problem.

If my sister grassed me up to the police I'd tell her where to go! People believe Insurance prices and tax would come down but the truth is they would'nt.

An occasional drive is nothing like the poeple who never have any insurance!

There is an Asian Family next to my Mum and Dads and they have 5 cars that have never had tax or MOT for at least 3 years, and to be fair I dont think they have licences. I have reported them three times and <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> all was done. TBH the minorities are the worst offenders! Before anyone comes at me with some PC rubbish I have met many police men and they all say the same, ITS TOO MUCH EFFORT TO GET A CONVICTION!

Isn't it true that these days you cannot get a tax disc without being insured? I certainly can't. Of course, your insurance could run out during the life of the tax disc.

And any time you go past a number-plate-reading camera, this can be checked. I don't know how often this happens.

Regarding the subject of premiums, I don't doubt that if there were fewer accidents then they would be cheaper. That assumes of course that insurers were paying out less, ie. cars aren't getting more expensive to repair. There is plenty of competition in a relatively transparent market, unless you think there is an illegal cartel of insurers.

Paul.

I hate people who grass

Are you sure your in the right club? with that kind of belief I think you need the TWOC club not TOC. But maybe your right... if everyone took that attitude in regards to all crimes the world would surely be a happier safer more lovely place to be :thumbsup:

I take offence to that... I'm not saying that I condone doing it, I just don't like people who grass people up.

Sure if some little ubik with no insurance hit me, I'd report him, but thats because he hit me not just for the sake of it...

And you wouldn't be left to foot the bill!!! there is a fund to pay for damage that uninsured drivers have caused...

to put it in another context, if a guy was being beaten up in the street by 2 guys, would you try and stop them beating this guy up? its not to do with you but i would like to think you would take some sort of action to help stop this happening.

people will not pay cos they know they can get away with it, so if they are caught, they will think twice about doing it again

I got a car off eBay and the mot had run out, i drove it back as it was in perfect nick (passed mot the day after with no work), on the way home traffic pulled me as they had run it in there pc and it came back as no mot. I have my own traders insurance but no trade plates. and they were fine with the insurance, they did report me for the mot and all that happened was a letter came to me saying not to do it again. where on your cover note does it say "void with out tax or mot"??? never seen that on mine. i guess they might not pay out for your own car but would have to 3rd parties. just like drink driving and anything else.

And you wouldn't be left to foot the bill!!! there is a fund to pay for damage that uninsured drivers have caused...

Oh and this money just appears magically out of thin air does it? WRONG it comes straight from the premiums of people that actually buy insurance. We have to subsidise all the scum that don't buy insurance.

Its a right pain to claim from too by all accounts, but that's a completely different matter.

people will not pay cos they know they can get away with it, so if they are caught, they will think twice about doing it again

Exactly, that and the punishment for not paying is laughable. Make the fine for not having insurance at least twice the most expensive insurance quote for that person and then increase the chance of being caught dramatically and people won't drive uninsured. Simple, but doesn't fit in the with government's aims so it won't happen.

where on your cover note does it say "void with out tax or mot"??? never seen that on mine. i guess they might not pay out for your own car but would have to 3rd parties. just like drink driving and anything else.

That's how I thought it worked too, I thought it was very hard for an insurer to decide not to pay out for 3rd parties.

Oh and this money just appears magically out of thin air does it? WRONG it comes straight from the premiums of people that actually buy insurance. We have to subsidise all the scum that don't buy insurance.

Its a right pain to claim from too by all accounts, but that's a completely different matter.

it takes longer to claim from a non insured driver than insured, i wouldnt wish anyone the pain of claiming from an insured driver

Do you think I am retarded or something? Of course I know where the money comes from FFS... But as it's been said already, even if they did start paying, it wouldn't affect the cost of our premiums.

The real issue here is the cost of insurance in the first instance, for example I was speaking to someone at lunchtime who insured their 1.1i Peugeot 206, £2100.... WTF, its a 1.1i for god sakes, it's got barely enough torque to pull the skin off a cup of hot chocolate.

Maybe if insurance was reasonably priced, less young drivers would then not avoid paying it alltogether?

Do you think I am retarded or something? Of course I know where the money comes from FFS... But as it's been said already, even if they did start paying, it wouldn't affect the cost of our premiums.

in theory, if everyone did pay, there would be no need for emergency fund, hence premiums should come down, it wont be much though.

I hate people who grass

I take offence to that... I'm not saying that I condone doing it, I just don't like people who grass people up.

Sure if some little ubik with no insurance hit me, I'd report him, but thats because he hit me not just for the sake of it...

KidKoala - I don't think you've thought this through.

The MIB fund you talk about is funded through our insurance premiums, if they start to have to spend more then everyones premium goes up.

The MIB also only pays for damage to vehicles or property, not for injuries. The police have to be involved and you have to have a crime number. They also only pay out a perecntage of what the actual claim should be - so you don't get the full amount. They also usually refuse to pay if the uninsured driver is caught as you are then supposed to sue the uninsured driver.

Most hit and runs are uninsured drivers, so the likely hood is that they were dissappear after an accident.

Just imagine an insured driver hitting a kid and paralysing them. If the driver stays at the scene they *should* get a prison sentance. If they flee the scene they might get away with it but a ) the kid could die without fast medical treatment - b ) Who is going to pay compenstation to the kid for all the care it will need for the rest of it's life.

Now just imagine that kid is yours..... Doesn't bare thinking about does it?

But I've got to say Thankyou to you KidKoala as you have now made me think about it more and you have managed to convince me that without a doubt now I will grass on anybody I know about who is driving without insurance :thumbsup:

Maybe if insurance was reasonably priced, less young drivers would then not avoid paying it alltogether?

I think you have that wrong. The reason young drivers have large premiums really is because that is an "accurate" representation of the risk. It is not very difficult for an insurer to figure out how much they are paying for accidents involving young drivers and set the premium accordingly.

That is not to say that young drivers are bad---they are all inexperienced, but only some are bad. There is no conspiracy to keep young drivers off the road, it is more likely that they just need time to develop their skills before they become less of a risk.

In an ideal world, an insurer would know everything about you personally, and be able to calculate your exact risk. However, in this world they just ask a few basic questions and make a rough judgement which will be more right than wrong.

Paul.

I would quite happily bubble anyone driving without any of the above.

If we have to pay then why shouldn't they.

If they can't afford it then there is no way that they should be on the road.

in theory, if everyone did pay, there would be no need for emergency fund, hence premiums should come down, it wont be much though.

Is this emergency fund provided by the government???

Also is there anyone on here who has done a 'foreigner'??????

Is this emergency fund provided by the government???

No. It`s a pool fund from all the insurers. A small percentage, Very small, of everyones premium is put towards it. As mentioned previously, If everyone were to pay their insurance then premiums would or rather should be slightly lower. :thumbsup:

On another note. Kid Koala says he wouldn`t bubble anyone unless they hit him. Fair play, If thats the way you think no problem. But here`s the rub. If you happened to report the person who might well be the one to run into you. Then the problem probably wouldn`t arise. :yes:

Tax is an emotive issue. We don`t like paying it because it doesn`t go back into the transport system. It used to be called a road fund license in the good old days. Now it`s named vehicle excise duty, so it can legitamately be hived off for expenditure on things other than roads. Insurance on the other hand is there to protect us against accidents, and as we all know accidents do happen. It`s a fact of life. IMO not having insurance is like playing russian roulette. Likewise an MOT is there to protect you. (At least for one day a year) I for one wouldn`t want to be driving around in something that is unknowingly dangerous.

I say burn them all!

Yup a nice simple solution! Set fire to them all.. easy! :lol:

Anyone got a light?

So let me get this right (please) about 90 (ish)% of us would grass them up & the rest want the burn the buggers :eek:

Note to self: NEVER LET ANYTHING RUN OUT ON THE CAR

why should people like me pay put for insuranse, tax and mot and they dont. i certainly would.

Would I report an Uninsured Driver or Untaxed Car?

YES! :yes:

Done it this week about a car in my road which is untaxed and being used.

It's easy and free :thumbsup:

Do it here

If I have to pay then why shouldn't other's?

I'm sure 99% of us decent folk would report such low life when our insurance renewal is due :ffs:

i would! cos if they did crash in to me, it would be me left with the bill!

That is what courts are for!!!!

They also have the advantage of being able to give the other driver a smug look in the eye when you win, and you can drive away laughing and pointing at them... (I did :D)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links