Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Engine Is Best

Mops1

I'm thinking about changing my 99 1.8 Avensis for a slightly newer one. New house and baby mean that I only have about £4000 to spend so i guess I'm looking around Y-reg.

I would like another Avensis as it has been fantastic over the 4 years I've had it, however I am leaning towards the old shape Honda Accord or dare I say a Ford Mondeo.

I know there have been loads of previous logs but which VVTi engine is the most problematic all things considered and what should I be looking our for. Any pointers would be great.

A Y-reg Avensis will have one of the first 1.8 VVTi engines and I think that these are the worst for burning oil. I wouldn't change from a 1999 lean burn to a 2001 VVTi. If I was you I'd either stick with the 1999 model or get something much more recent (e.g. 2004) that doesn't have the oil burning problem (or go for something else like the Accord).

buy a newer phase 1 model, a 2000 plate, my parents have a W reg 2.0 cdx and they have had no problems with it

I`ve got a good idea for you buy a D-4D you`d be really impressed at the economy and for your money you could get a nice one :)

I was under the impression that the 2.0VVTi didn't suffer the oil problem anyway.

Thought they were pretty bullet proof.

I was under the impression that the 2.0VVTi didn't suffer the oil problem anyway.

Thought they were pretty bullet proof.

The 2.0 vvt-i does not suffer oil problems its only the 1.4 1.6 1.8 vvt-i units produced from 2000-2002

There you go then mate, 2.0VVTi it is by the looks of it!

Until recently I had a 2001 'X' VVTi Avensis. It did drink a bit of oil, but not at a rate that would break the bank. I now have the new shape, ('03 T3-X) but haven't had it long enough to rate the oil consumption.

One point to consider is the car tax. Visit http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxation.htm for rates of tax. If the car is older than March 2001 you are stuck at £175 a year, newer and it is judged on Co2 emmisions and the 1.8 will save £25+ a year.

A major driving difference is the hydraulic vs. electronic PAS on the 2.0 and 1.8 litre respectively.

Before 2005ish, the 2 litre had VSC but the 1.8 did not, though I don't know when VSC was first introduced to the 2 litre.

So there may be spec differences.

Maybe 1.8 for town -- fuel econ and very light steering, and 2 litre for a higher proportion of open road with less pinickity steering, also copes better with full family load/towing.

2 litre appears to be a safer choice on not so new VVT-i models in regard to the potential for oil burning, purchase price, fuel economy and environmental concerns being considerations.