Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lee's new car choice

Leeky

Go for it Lee :thumbsup:

Then turn it into this

c715qd.jpg

or this

c729bq.jpg

depending on the need of the moment

:D :D :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bibbs

• Leeky

• Caz SR

• jay dh

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Smart Roadster needs to be either a lot more powerful or a fair bit lighter :) Ok its pretty light, so its going to be chuckable enough just by virtue of that though.

I'd look more seriously at the Elise, the K series is reliable enough if its looked after (except for a couple of versions with plastic dowels used to locate the head...). Its main problem is that its got a small coolant capacity, so if the coolant gets low it cooks very fast. Its also manufactured to tighter tolerances than most engines, so if its been cooked once and the head hasn't be skimmed to the right tolerance it'll blow head gaskets again and again.

If you're prepared to deal with Caterham levels of practicality ;) how about something like a Fisher Fury, SSC Stylus or Sylva / STM Phoenix. Chassis and weight wise they're pretty much Seven replicas, but with full bodywork. Find one with the right engine (ie no twin Weber carbs / big V8s!) and they can be pretty economical too. Might be pushed to find a decent one for £5k though.

Oh and that Michalak thing looks even worse in the flesh!

This man talks sense :thumbsup:

The K series is kinda like the 7M gasketwise... it has the reputation, but done properly its not an issue!! When they work they are not bad either... (like the 7M lol)

Well i've taken everyone's opinions onboard and will give it some thought when i get back from Tenerife.

But still so far the Roadster is the only car that ticks all the boxes.

Anyway, thanks for everyones input :thumbsup:

If that's what you want, go for it mate :thumbsup:

I remember seeing a clip about motorbike engined roadsters on Top Gear a year or two back. I think a full conversion & car cost about 16k.

The company featured on Top Gear

It's called having a laugh. If anyone else I knew said they where getting a smart I would also take the *****. Lee Knows we are only joking :lol:

I know he does, but it's been going on across 3 threads now with the same comments over and over again. Now either your comedy repertoire is a little stretched, or someone doesn't know when to stop ;)

:lol::lol::lol: Yeah Yeah :rolleyes:

I just think it's too much of a compromise in the "performance" and "driving" stakes.

A semi-auto will not be as good as a manual on a track. The performance is non existant (Lou would beat you in her tarted up Pug). And okay it's got Economy .. hell, by a 2nd hand Prius, cut the roof off and put suspension on it .. it'd be about the same.

The performance is non existant (Lou would beat you in her tarted up Pug).

Oh... how great it is to hear that.. it's doesn't happen often...

Wish some f****r would buy the damn thing.. either that or I'm gonna have to chuck it off a cliff.. on fire.

I had a look at em briefly:

Good

MPG

Insurance

Rareness

Plastic Panels (cheap to replace)

Noise (OK I know its a lawnmower engine but it sounds good)

Bad

Gear Box (I guess you'd get used to it after time)

Rear Visibility

Performance

Nob Head Merc Dealers

Leaking Roof's

Boot (You'd just manage to fit a pizza in it)

That bloke who did the McClaren F1 is always ranting on in Evo about how they are a proper true sports car.

Just seen this.

Can't see a problem with the car. Handles well at least, and it ticks all the boxes for what Lee wants from a car.

Personally though, I'd chuck a Turbo'd hayabusa engine in it. Go on, you know you want to... :D

I just think it's too much of a compromise in the "performance" and "driving" stakes.

A semi-auto will not be as good as a manual on a track. The performance is non existant (Lou would beat you in her tarted up Pug). And okay it's got Economy .. hell, by a 2nd hand Prius, cut the roof off and put suspension on it .. it'd be about the same.

Sure, a stock one would get toasted by Lou's car. But as i've said mine is going to get hugely modified within the first few weeks i'll own it :)

And how is a semi-auto not as good as a manual on the track? Its a clutched gearbox not a torque convertor. I have 6 gears and paddle shift..

Its good enough for Porsche, Ferrari and Aston Martin.

Gear Box (I guess you'd get used to it after time)

Rear Visibility

Performance

Nob Head Merc Dealers

Leaking Roof's

Boot (You'd just manage to fit a pizza in it)

That bloke who did the McClaren F1 is always ranting on in Evo about how they are a proper true sports car.

Gearbox is better with more power going through it, once i take it over 120bhp it'll be fine.

Rear visibility - yep cant argue with that, noticed that on test drive.

Performance - again standard - yes crap, but modified there would be very few cars on this forum that could keep up with it on a track.

Merc Dealers - buying private

leaking roof - only happens on the early ones and was fixed within the first 200 uk cars.

Image - well im gonna have a kit on mine so will look totally different anyway

Boot - No worse that the mk4 supra :yes:

You mean Peter Steven. He is a legend, he was the one who styled the Esprit mk2 i got :)

Just seen this.

Can't see a problem with the car. Handles well at least, and it ticks all the boxes for what Lee wants from a car.

Personally though, I'd chuck a Turbo'd hayabusa engine in it. Go on, you know you want to... :D

Cheers man :thumbsup:

Yeah could do, at then it would be 400bhp ;) The standard Hayabusa engine is 175bhp, but then they strap 2 turbos to it.

Sure, a stock one would get toasted by Lou's car. But as i've said mine is going to get hugely modified within the first few weeks i'll own it :)

and there goes the cheap insurance, the economy ..

And how is a semi-auto not as good as a manual on the track? Its a clutched gearbox not a torque convertor. I have 6 gears and paddle shift..

Its good enough for Porsche, Ferrari and Aston Martin.

And you've seen how they get still slated in the press. The fast Porsche's still have a normal box.

Performance - again standard - yes crap, but modified there would be very few cars on this forum that could keep up with it on a track.

Have you been on a track with a small car? I doubt you'd drive much quicker than in your Supra/Aristo .. Lee - we know you.

Image - well im gonna have a kit on mine so will look totally different anyway

There goes the 800kg ..

So now you are in a heavy, modded, not so economical car.

I do worry. Get a Mk3 MR2 .. and keep it stock ..

I reckon you wont buy one dude! The Smart will end up on the pile of plans like the Toms Supra you where going to do.

Getting a car and doing and engine conversion is not a great idea :lol::lol:

Sell the lotus save some cash and drive the Aristo . :thumbsup:

and the Hayabusa turbo engine swap is 10k all in from zcars (the experts) ..

That's a S2000 or an Mk3 MR2 ..

So for a Smart with a busa engine .. you could have BOTH an S2000 and an Mk3 MR2 ..

and the Hayabusa turbo engine swap is 10k all in from zcars (the experts) ..

That's a S2000 or an Mk3 MR2 ..

So for a Smart with a busa engine .. you could have BOTH an S2000 and an Mk3 MR2 ..

Good points.

My view is that the likes of a heavily modified Smart Roadster, MK3 MR2 or S2K is a lot of moula to stack on a track - if the idea is to take up serious track driving. So you either fork out building a tuned roadster and drive it like a granny for fear of bumping it - or you resign yourself to the fact you may well loose the money and drive it to it's full potential regardless. If it's the latter then fuel economy / saving money and all that flies out the window and shouldn't form an integral part of your decision.

Either way, I'm still saying drop the 'track car' thing until you know you can do track racing. Unless, you're only talking about outings like Brunters etc where you're not racing anyone - then you have to ask the question, what will be the point in building a highly tuned track car for this purpose?

The other point is Caz .. if you want a track car, DON'T get a drop top.

There is no point, my car is one of the stiffest roadsters on the market .. and it's heavy because of it. My MR2 is T-Bar and is heavier and floppier <fnar> than a tin top.

I can't think of a single track proper soft top. You either get small open top (radical, caterham), tin top (mr2, M3, Golf), or soft and a cage (mx5, S2000, MR2). The first is a compromise for daily drive, the second is not convertable, the third is a waste (why get a drop to and then cage it?!)

Also, track cars are usually stripped, caged, tuned and beaters. Get a 205 Mi16 GTi and track it. You don't need MOT, tax etc, so no front lights, no carpet, nothing. Then if you stack it, you have £500 of car to hammer out. Don't waste 15k on something that'll end up in a gravel trap ..

And a Smart is none of the above .. it's a gimmic, a toy .. It's like being able to watch movies, listen to MP3's and make calls on your phone. When a TV, a stereo and a land line do the job a WHOLE load better. (without needing to add a magnifying glass and Speakers and an ariel to your mobile)

sell the aristo and keep the lotus ( ha ha caz you cant give me the death stare via the forum ha ha, but when i next see you please dont hit me.......again)

Either way, I'm still saying drop the 'track car' thing until you know you can do track racing. Unless, you're only talking about outings like Brunters etc where you're not racing anyone - then you have to ask the question, what will be the point in building a highly tuned track car for this purpose?

I'd say drop the 'track car' thing until you know you enjoy driving on track ;) Actually being able to do it to anywhere near a car's potential is completely secondary (mebbe that's just cos I'm rubbish at it :) ). If you plan on spending a lot of time on track I'd do it in a second car too. That way if the worst comes to the worst, you can still get to work on Monday morning in the other car. You can repair any damage as and when you can afford it then too, or even swap over the trick bits you bought onto a completely different car if you really manage to make a mess of it.

Oh and you'd probably end up with 2 cars that do their respective jobs far better than one could manage both too :)

sell the aristo and keep the lotus ( ha ha caz you cant give me the death stare via the forum ha ha, but when i next see you please dont hit me.......again)

I am perfecting that virtual death-stare technique as I type Ed hehe :P

I'd say drop the 'track car' thing until you know you enjoy driving on track ;) Actually being able to do it to anywhere near a car's potential is completely secondary (mebbe that's just cos I'm rubbish at it :) ). If you plan on spending a lot of time on track I'd do it in a second car too. That way if the worst comes to the worst, you can still get to work on Monday morning in the other car. You can repair any damage as and when you can afford it then too, or even swap over the trick bits you bought onto a completely different car if you really manage to make a mess of it.

Oh and you'd probably end up with 2 cars that do their respective jobs far better than one could manage both too :)

I agree with you, but with Lee's points he is quoting track times and how fast it would be compared to other cars. So he is comparing performance in conjunction with driving at the car's full potential. I'm saying at this stage, yes it may have the potential, but until he knows he can take it to that limit with skill, it shouldn't be the ultimate deciding factor. I think he is intending this to be his second car (keeping the Aristo - for now lol) ;)

Leeky,

PM sent :thumbsup:

A

I agree with you, but with Lee's points he is quoting track times and how fast it would be compared to other cars.

Well I've seen Supra times round Nur .. I don't think he had the drivers, that set the times, worried.

The S2000 is rapid as round Nur, I, unfortunalty, am not.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links