Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do You Use The Hilux?

andy_moza

Hi There....I have been given a Toyota Hilux 04 reg 2.5ltr 4x4 to drive for a couple of weeks by the company I work for however with no manual in the glovebox I am bewildered as to how to use and also what certain things on the vehicle are used for so I would be extremely grateful if anybody with information will answer the following questions for me???

1. With the 4 wheel drive there is an extra gear stick, what does the L2, N, H4 and H2 do??

2. I have a switch which has on it Idleup (or something similar), what is this for??

3. I have another switch with RR Diff Lock on it, what does this switch do??

If anyone can help me with the above I will be extremely grateful. I used to own a Yamaha DT trails bike about 6 months ago and miss the off roading, so last night I couldn't resist taking the pickup for a blast through a field...oh the fun!!! Anyway I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help

Thanks

Andy

1. With the 4 wheel drive there is an extra gear stick, what does the L2, N, H4 and H2 do??

L2 low range two wheel drive, N no idea H4 high range four wheel drive, H2 high range two wheel drive

use H2 on the road most of the time as it saves fuel

2. I have a switch which has on it Idleup (or something similar), what is this for??

Idle up does basicly what it says on the tin it increases the idle speed if you are using the air con or using a winch and you need then extra few revs to power the device

No idea what the RR means but a diff lock is to help you if you get stuck if you lock the diff you will help you get out but dont use it on the road its really for off road use only

Hope some of it helps

N is neutral

idle up is also for really cold mornings or if you ever need tp jump start someone.

The small gear stick is used to control the 4WD and reduction method:

N = Neutral, no traction at all (used as intermadiary possition)

L2 = LOW, 2W traction - only the rear wheels are pushing, with a 1/2 reduction -> used to climb step heels with load, or carry heavy loads, on pavement (not all Hilux have this option - L2)

H2 = HIGH, 2W traction - this is the normal way of riding on pavement, around town, etc. The rear wheels are pushing, without reduction. The front wheels are free.

H4 = HIGH, 4W traction - all wheels engaged, no reduction. DO NOT use this on pavement, since the front and the back axels will "wind up", causing bad injury on the gaerbox & stuff - Hilux doesn't have a central differential to help on this (like Discovery, Pajero). This mode is used with slipery surfaces at (moderate) high speeds, like winter driving, sand, gravel, etc.

You didn't mention L4, but should be there ... I think

L4 = LOW, 4W traction. Similar to H4, but with a 1/2 reduction. Used offroad mostly. Same cautions apply: do not use on pavement.

This works well with L4 mode. It locks up the Read Differential. This means that the Rear-Right and the Rear-Left wheels spin up with the same speed (there is no differential, cause it's locked).

This is used to get out from deep mud, snow, sand - when one rear wheel is spinning freely (with the diff. unlocked, the other will not move, so blocking the diff. helps.).

You shouldn't lock the rear diff on pavement and/or high speeds, it's used only to get out from a specific sittuation, then unlock it.

Used in winter to warm up the engine, or when you are using aux. devices which need power: winches, etc