Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St182 Seat Belts

TCGT

Hi, still getting to know my Japanese import Celica and was wondering about seat belts and if any members could enlighten me.

The rear has 3 lap belts, is this normal practice for a Celica.

The front belts appear not to be inertia or am I missing some Japanese wizardry which kicks in with the ignition?

thanks

john

dogrun.gif

Hi, still getting to know my Japanese import Celica and was wondering about seat belts and if any members could enlighten me.

The rear has 3 lap belts, is this normal practice for a Celica.

The front belts appear not to be inertia or am I missing some Japanese wizardry which kicks in with the ignition?

thanks

john

dogrun.gif

Weird - there are only two rear seats so you should only have two seat belts, but they should be full seat belts not just lap belts. Front and rear belts should all be inertia - unless the intertia mechanism has failed.

Assuming imports are the same as uk models - and I would have thought they are.

Hi,

Thanks,

No I have three working lap belts at the back with the usual configureation of the centre one having its unique buckle.

I will try the fronts with the engine running to see if it makes them work.

john

dogrun.gif

There was a similar thread on gt4oc

I was looking at several early spec ST185s recently with a friend of mine and I noticed that the seatbelts, even if pulled suddenly from the reel, do not lock. Surely this is not right?

In fact, I noticed this with another mate's MR2 when he had it.

After reading this post I have tested the ones out in my JDM & the drivers or passengers don't lock out either! Can anyone else help shed some light on this problem.

And the answer is.....

JDM seat belts work differently to AU/UK seatbelts.

JDM seat belts are electronic and will only lock when the brakes are applied or when the car is decelerating... you can pull on them as hard as you want and they will not lock.

AU/UK seatbelts are inertia reel units which lock when enough force is applied to them or when the car is decelerating... the deceleration lock in these is usually mechanical.

:thumbsup:

Hi,

That's brilliant info, thanks.

When I get to use the car off my drive I will test them out.

john

dogrun.gif

And the answer is.....

JDM seat belts work differently to AU/UK seatbelts.

JDM seat belts are electronic and will only lock when the brakes are applied or when the car is decelerating... you can pull on them as hard as you want and they will not lock.

AU/UK seatbelts are inertia reel units which lock when enough force is applied to them or when the car is decelerating... the deceleration lock in these is usually mechanical.

:thumbsup:

Interesting. :thumbsup: So do the JDM cars have 3 rear seats instead of 2?

Hi,

I don't know anything about Celicas being new to Japanese cars.

I do know that my car was imported in 98 and it has only two rear seats.

The third rear belt buckle comes up theough the nearside seat and fastens across the middle hump to the belt coming through the offside seat.

It looks totally original as it matches the other two belts.

john

dogrun.gif

Interesting. :thumbsup: So do the JDM cars have 3 rear seats instead of 2?

Not that i am aware of. :unsure:

Hi,

I don't know anything about Celicas being new to Japanese cars.

I do know that my car was imported in 98 and it has only two rear seats.

The third rear belt buckle comes up theough the nearside seat and fastens across the middle hump to the belt coming through the offside seat.

It looks totally original as it matches the other two belts.

john

Perhaps they were fitted specifically to your car for a reason. Although i`m struggling to think why. Most curious. :yes:

Hi,

If they were retro fitted a use could have been to restrain a child seat pehaps.

johndogrun.gif

Or three. :yes: 3 kids. Surprised they found time to drive it. :lol: