Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Britain's Deadliest Road - A4074

Caz SR

Just read this article:

The Times Online - Driving Report

The A4074 is a road with a fatality & accident rate with, on average, one death a year since 1980. Most peeps on here from the area will already know this road quite well.

Whilst reading, I couldn't help but think how it's almost convenient that this route is excluded from national stats. It's obviously an area that needs some major improvement. There is always the arguement that drivers should be more cautious, particularly with the road's reputation. However, it goes to show that for a government that is harping on about 'road safety' and slapping speed cameras everywhere, they're also paying little regard to an area with proven dangers like this one. <_<

I'm sorry, but that road is great .. keep it at the NSL and it's a loverly drive. Nice open fields on a summers day. The road is well marked (all the lines are painted proper, there are road signs and the coner markings) and it's a mixture of long straights (no overtaking mind) and tight twisties.

But it's where I have also seen the most outrageous driving .. usually due to someone doing 30 in a 50, and then some boy racer deciding he'll overtake 15 cars, up a hill, on a blind bend, in something with less power than my starter motor.

If they made some of the straight parts dual carridgeway so people could overtake SAFELY, it'd solve a lot of the issues.

much like the a616 sheffield to manchester bypass. at one time it was considered one of the most dangerous roads in the country with considerable deaths.

the problem always was, and still is the constant changing from dual to single carriageway on both sides. but instead of addressing the problem, perhaps making the road wider so that it could be a dual all the way instead they fit specs cameras along most of it.

well done government, excellent planning. :censor:

Yep Bibbs. :yes:

They have been trying to push for a dual carriage way on the A4074, but there is a load of 'red tape' surrounding it due to conservation areas.

This is what I mean - the government can easily farm out money to councils for time wasting calming schemes & cameras - it's easy to do that. Yet it appears for a route like this, with real dangers, they won't do what's needed to be done quick enough. Maybe it's because the road isn't included in national stats? Therefore, they wouldn't be able to measure and 'justify' any speed cameras for an example.

It's just another case where the governments' projected road safety ethos contradicts with real road safety issues.

Ryan ran his motorbike into the back of a Vauxhall Astra that had stopped, indicating a right turn

And bikers say car drivers don't look where they are going......... and are "cacooned in their metal box"

Milly used to drive this road every day to work, and I used tio do it daily as two of my exes lived in that direction..... The road itself is prefectly safe.. its the idiots that don't give it the respect it deserves.... the biggest problem is people pulling out of side roads not looking properly or not judging the speed of oncomming vehicles... or muppets on bikes rear ending people :rolleyes:

The A4074 is a great road, and when I'm on the bike, it's a fave road of mine.

As above, it's due to people not paying attention to the road, or people driving at ridiculous speeds, way beyond the level they can actually drive at.