Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starlet Losing A Lot of Oil

tinners2000

Hi Guys!

Now for a new problem with my 1997 starlet.

My engine seems to be losing a lot of oil recently and if you hold a white piece of paper by the exhaust Oil splats can be seen when reved. Any ideas what this means? Also can seems to be losing power in middle gears.

Cheers

the little black spots out the exhaust normally means the engine is running rich i think?

Thought it might since bad fuel economy is starting to take over. I have a local Mechanic who looks after my car is really good, but has only a small garage. Is it recommended to take the car to a Toyota garage and get them to hook it up to a computer.

Also the black spots seems to have minimized after putting 5-30 oil into it

. Checked sparks today but they seem fine and oil is clear brown with not gunge anywhere to be seen. Going to grab some injector cleaner tomorrow. Which one do you guys tend to use?

STP do a good double pack injector cleaner and octane boost for about £8

I seem to be having a bad problem too - had a thread about it one month ago, and now i seemed to have used up another full sump of oil...in less than 1000mi...

Ive just put in Magtec 5w-30. Also just put in wynns extreme kit. Will see what this does.

Changed sparks today, but no oil on any so I am stumped!

Coolant looks fine. No gunge inside oil so no sign of coolant.

What grade do you think?

5w40 fully synth, 10w40 semi-synth, and just put in 0.5l of 5w30 fully synth...which seems to have burned up on the 200mi journey i just did...hmm

im hoping my problem is as simple as piston rings, though hopefully this week i should find out

probably will be, my last engine had a simular problem with oil, and that had nackered piston rings.

right just removed all the old oil and put in 15w50 - that should be better on fuel

Problem could also be valve seals gone.

This would be easier and cheaper to fix.

Carry out comp check both dry and wet. If pressure goes up with oil dripped in pot then yes it is rings. If no change then I would say its valve seals.