Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 1.8 Fuel Consumption

Slip

I've had my 1998 Avensis stw 1.8 for about 6 months now.

I think the car is using very much fuel when driving in the city. Usually about 1.1 ltr/10km (22mpg).

However on the road I uses as little as 0.55 ltr/10km (44mpg)

I'm supprised over the big variations, my last car (86' corolla) used about 0,6 (40mpg) on the road and 0,75 (32mpg) in the city.

Are these figures normal? What values are you getting?

It's difficult to say because there are many variations in the way that people drive. :wacko: However, if you are keeping in around 2 to 3 thousand rpm then I would have said that you should get more than that. My average is around 38mpg and it doesn't really change.

Check out your average over the use of a full tank of fuel. I can always get 400 miles to a tank or more. And I don't drive particularly slow either.

Keep us posted on any findings!

:thumbsup:

It's difficult to say because there are many variations in the way that people drive. :wacko:

I can always get 400 miles to a tank or more. And I don't drive particularly slow either.

:eek: I'm only getting about 330 to a tank are you sure you don't go slow SJ :P :ph34r:

B)

Nah, the worst I can get is around 400 to a tank. That's from click off full until the red light comes on. I do drive It quite hard to be honest at times. Put it this way, I don't really stick to the speed limit! On the other hand, I don't thrape it though.

my normal driving is shall we say between 1500 to 3500rpm then when pushing it, at most 5500rpm.

They should be quite good on fuel. Check your air filter etc. Also, believe it or not little things like oil type can make a difference too.

I drive a 1.8 Vermont manual that I've owned for 18 months. During that time the car has covered almost 20,000 miles at an average of 38 mpg. The worst I've had from a tankful is 33.6 and the best 48.4. However, a while ago I visited friends on the outskirts of London; filled the car up as we arrived and then for two days I was just driving very short journeys (just a couple of miles at a time) when I left for home the computer was only read 25 mpg. Hope that gives you some idea.

If you want to know more I would be happy to send you an Excel spreadsheet in much greater detail.

Regards

Tony

It's not an Avensis but Carina E variant with the same 1.8 litre 7A-FE engine.

The best consumption ever was 49mpg (5.76 litre/100km).

The worst was 33.9mpg (8.32 litre/100km).

On average it does around 42.4mpg (6.65 litre/100km).

Driving style is half urban half motorway. Motorway cruising speed is 120 to 140km/h.

The car runs on LPG and the consumption for this is as follows;

The best consumption ever was 31.6mpg (8.91 litre/100km).

The worst was 27.7mpg (10.19 litre/100km).

On average it does around 29.7mpg (9.51 litre/100km).

Thank you for your replies! It sees like my silver Avensis is abit more thirsty than others through the city-trafic. Maybe it need som tunig? Ive got the 120 000 service coming up now, so I'll see if new oil, filters and sparkplugs might do some good. If not it's probably just my right foot that needs some adjustments.. :rolleyes:

1.8GS VVTi 2000X with 30,000 on clock.

I generally get 34mpg on average regardless!

Though the "current" values range from 10mpg on hard acceleration to 99.9 whilst not pressing the accelerator.

I can get 40mpg on a long journey whilst working the engine "hard" ie low gears for as long as possible. Quite the opposite to what I would have expected.

Myfyr

yeah, around 40mpg for me to from my 02 1.8 vvti avensis which i am more than happy with. I drive it fairly hard too... oh and the sat nav is brilliant.... i have seen parts of the country i would never dream of driving through normally after setting 'shortest route' on the route settings.... nice one toyota :thumbsup:

Yep 38mpg for me too really!

Hi Cal! What's your carina running like on gas? I looked into having mine done when I first had it, it even qualified for a powershift grant at the time. So I took it to the recommended installer (cause you have to - to get the grant) and they said they can do it but not a good idea on this engine. So I contacted Toyota and they said the same basically. Sommat to do with the close valve tolerances on the 7A-FE.

Hello sjrainsford,

The car runs really well on LPG. I've had the car running on LPG for 3 months, 15,000 miles. There are rumours about valve and seat wear due to the heat but that I have to find out myself. However, my theory is that since the engine is originally designed as 'lean burn', the chamber is hotter than the conventional engines thus should torelate the heat when running on LPG.

Performance wise, it runs well and I am very happy with it. In my car's settings, the leanburn function does not work thus it pulls a lot better than on petrol. The only downside is the drop in fuel consumption, however due to the low price of LPG, it is still cheaper than running a diesel.

In the long term, anything happens will be featured on my site. Overall, I am happy that I got the car converted. I even thought I should have done it ages ago. :thumbsup: