Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky Steering Wheel

bigkilty

:help: steering wheel has begun to squeak whenever i turn it,will wd40 cure it or is it something more serious :( cheers for any advice given

Mine has started to do the same. Is it coming from the bush near to the steering wheel? I've put it down to the heat!! Only noticable when parking.

Silicone spray is probably a better option. I'm going to unscrew the plastic housing surrounding the ignition lock to get a better look rather that just giving a general spray.

:help: steering wheel has begun to squeak whenever i turn it,will wd40 cure it or is it something more serious :( cheers for any advice given

I wouldn`t hold out much hope with the spray option, I tried all that. This is a well known problem , believe it or not the squeak actually originates at the steering rack and is transfered up the steering columb. I know this because mine was replaced under warranty, just before xmas, 2005. Parts and labour amount to around the £1000.00 mark!

Are you talking about the Mk 1 Avenis. Mine (gone now) had a squek from the cowling area. I cured it by inserting a small bit of rubber strip near where the stalks come out. This did it.

Are you talking about the Mk 1 Avenis. Mine (gone now) had a squek from the cowling area. I cured it by inserting a small bit of rubber strip near where the stalks come out. This did it.

No its a 1.8vvti model. year 2000

There's a modified steering rack available. The noise originates from a seal in the rack and the squeak resonates up the steering column and sounds like its coming from the cowling or the SRS airbag spiral cable. There are somes posts on here of owners rectifying the problem but not sure if its a cure or a quick fix for the problem. My Avensis started doing it about 6 months ago. Its gets worse as it warms up but I just crank the choons up to drown it out. Don't fancy replacing an otherwise faultless steering rack due to a squeak.

There's a modified steering rack available. The noise originates from a seal in the rack and the squeak resonates up the steering column and sounds like its coming from the cowling or the SRS airbag spiral cable. There are somes posts on here of owners rectifying the problem but not sure if its a cure or a quick fix for the problem. My Avensis started doing it about 6 months ago. Its gets worse as it warms up but I just crank the choons up to drown it out. Don't fancy replacing an otherwise faultless steering rack due to a squeak.

Oh well i better go out and buy better choons to crank up the noise then :P

I had my steering rack replaced after an rta 3 years ago (not sure if it needed replacing due to crash or just faulty before). Prior to this I had peaceful driving, however squeek is there now and Mr T wanted the car for 2 days to strip the steering down in a attempt to find.

I was told the car was safe to drive so did not take them up on their offer, however 2years on my steering goes from very light with no squeek to normal with a squeek. I dread getting it fixed now as don't think it is financially viable on a 7 yr old car.

my 2001 avensis vvti 1.8 had this problem i tried wd40 all over to no effect, i did however cure the noise by tracking the steering column down to the pedals and applying grease to the join sorry i dont no the techcnical terms but it did stop the noise

Mine had made this noise once in a while over the last few months.

Then with the hot weather it has got worse - happened 4-5 times today already.

my 2001 avensis vvti 1.8 had this problem i tried wd40 all over to no effect, i did however cure the noise by tracking the steering column down to the pedals and applying grease to the join sorry i dont no the techcnical terms but it did stop the noise

Did you apply the grease to a join inside or outside the car? i.e just above the pedels in the footwell or somewhere under the bonnet?

Mine had made this noise once in a while over the last few months.

Then with the hot weather it has got worse - happened 4-5 times today already.

Did you apply the grease to a join inside or outside the car? i.e just above the pedels in the footwell or somewhere under the bonnet?

it was inside the car by the pedals

I think that two different steering problems are being confused here.

The 'grease' solution relates to a 'knock' on the steering noticable when manuevering at slow speeds. There is a definate feedback through the steering wheel with this fault:

see:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...opic=7041&st=25

Advice as to how to solve this is given by Treuno.

The other fault is a 'squeak' which sounds very much like a dry rubber bush noise. The noise 'appears' to be coming from inside the housing which incorporates the ignition lock. There is no feedback through the steering with this fault at all.

I have a squeak on the steering column as described aboce. At first I thought it was at the top of the column just behind the steering wheel however after reading this thread I investigated further. I discovered it originates underneath the pedals in the footwell.

My 1999 Avensis (Mk1) was purchased last September from a Toyota dealer and only has 22k on the clock. The car is still under a full year's Toyota warranty.

It sounds as if I should get this squeak sorted out since it has definitely been worse in this warm weather. Can anyone tell me exactly what this squeak is likely to be and what I need to tell my local Toyota garage to investigate?

Thanks.

I had a look around the Net and found these three websites. Can anyone tell me if they apply to my 99 Avensis GLS. I'm not sure if it is only newer models?

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/tsb_detail.asp?fileID=706

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/...oyota&makeId=E6

http://www.cars.com/go/news/Story.jsp?sect...r=&aff=national

Can anyone please tell me what I should be asking Toyota to investigate re this squeaky steering wheel business.

Thanks.

The second and third links appear to refer to more recent vehicles with electric power steering.

The power steering on your vehicle is belt driven.

I would think that to replace the gear assembly (first link) would be very expensive. As the bulletin states the noise only occurs in warm weather. And that's not going to last long in this country!!

The second and third links appear to refer to more recent vehicles with electric power steering.

I would think that to replace the gear assembly (first link) would be very expensive. As the bulletin states the noise only occurs in warm weather. And that's not going to last long in this country!!

True, but it is under warranty and if it's broke they can fix it! That's why I wanted to be sure of the problem when I take it in so they don't say 'it's fine, just something rubbing together somewhere'.

• 3 months later...

My noise is still there, started one really hot day this summer but still makes noise :(

Well I had my steering rack replaced under warranty a few weeks ago. The squeak has gone, but it cost the warranty company a lot of money (approx £1000).

Be careful with the dealers. My one claimed it wasn't the steering rack and the mechanics had not come across this before. It got to a bit of a loggerhead situation and eventually they had the guy from the claims company out to examine the car. However I provided him and my dealer with print outs of various posts on here (dealing with this problem) plus video of the wheel squeaking. They really had a long way to go if they wanted to prove that it wasn't the steering rack. Anyway their man came out and agreed to the replacement without an arguement.

Over the last year I've had lot's of work carried out on my Avensis under warranty (sunroof, rear wiper motor, disc brakes/pads, fan belt, AC pipes, door/light contact) and it's the only car in the last 15 years that has broken down and left me stranded at the side of the road (Dec the 24th would you believe!). Anyway for the warped discs I had to get a Motor Trade watchdog (can't remember who it is as I write) involved before the insurance company, AON, gave in.

Unfortunately the Avensis in my expereince isn't a very reliable car and the insurance company will fight you over what are known faults.

The sad thing is my warranty has now run out and the gearbox feels quite notchy recently. I did report this to AON before the warranty ran out, but according to the dealer it was a worn clutch. Yeah righ, this from a car that has done (warranted by Toyota) only 25,000!

Suffice to say I never buy another Toyota and will be glad to see the back of the Avensis.

A knock from the streering on old shape avensis is usually the steering knuckle needing greased.

A squeaking noise from the cowling area is usually the spiral cable being noisey (spiral cable is part of srs system) :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I Have the same squeeking noise with my 98 avensis.

it seems worse during the warmer weather,

i found that if you adjust wheel up higher the noise stops. strange ??

A knock from the streering on old shape avensis is usually the steering knuckle needing greased.

A squeaking noise from the cowling area is usually the spiral cable being noisey (spiral cable is part of srs system) :thumbsup:

I can go along with this. My spiral/clockspring cable broke, and when I took it out to repair it, the steering wheel was silent. When I put it back in there was a definite squeak, sounds like squeaky rubber.

Mike.

What is it with Toyota and steering racks ? my previous Avensis ( 2001) had two racks replaced under warranty with just the same problems as you describe.

With the new shape Avensis I had the steering rack replaced when 3 months old and replaced again just recently

I think I would have a word with your local Toyota dealer especially if you have a full Toyota service history as this is a well known fault on these cars