Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Arial Retracting

wakey_punk

Hi guys, I'm having a little problem where as the Radio Arial is not retracting when i switch off. I can hear the motor wurrring away but the arial's not moving.

Can anyone help with advice on what to check when this happens? I'm at work at the moment so i can't check immediately but i would like to get this resolved quickly before someone snaps off my arial in town or something.

Hi guys, I'm having a little problem where as the Radio Arial is not retracting when i switch off. I can hear the motor wurrring away but the arial's not moving.

Can anyone help with advice on what to check when this happens? I'm at work at the moment so i can't check immediately but i would like to get this resolved quickly before someone snaps off my arial in town or something.

It's a common problem on the Gen 6, give it a squirt with some wd40 or such like might help...

Mine did it every now and then put it up and down a few times and it went back all the way :thumbsup:

lol - i just pulled the wire for the aerial out my head-unit , never listen to radio and it annoyed me always coming up and down , looks crap when its up too

I tried the wd40 but no joy :ffs:

if i give it a little tap then it retracts but not on it's own free will. I'm gonna have a real good look at the weekend to see if i can find the cause of it. Anyone know where the motor is housed that powers it?

Your problem is irritating, but pretty usual with older cars and electronics aerials. The antenna might also be bent a little, which would cause it to get stuck.

I have no experience on the Celica, but the motor for the aerial is usual located right under the antenna.

I have myself been thinking about getting rid of the electronic aerial and installing a nice little aftermarket rubber antenna. Another option would be to scratch the antenna altogether since the car is gonna have a repaint soon anyway, but I'm still to inquire how much extra that would add.

If the Gen6 is the same as the MR2 (which I'd ahve thought it would be).

The Arial has a plastic wire in the middle with notches or teeth on it. These get gripped by the motor and pull the wire (and then the other end of the arial).

The problem is the teeth wear away, so there is nothing to grip.

You can get just the replacement arial bit, and it's an easy (buy fiddly as it's spooled like a fishing reel in a tiny area and the wire is chunky and not very bendy) DIY job to swap. Could be better to get on off a scrappy. Think mine was about £20 when I did it a few years back.

If it is the mast thats at fault. Toyota main dealer will supply and fit one for about £40 apparently. :thumbsup:

thanks for your quick replies guys, that's certainly given me food for thought.

I may try bibb's route of replacing the mast. and if that fails just replace it with a small rubber one from Halfords or the like.

Will let you know how i get after the weekend (fingers crossed)

Well didn't have any luck with fixing this last weekend so I'm gonna disconnect it and rewire to something else to use as the ariel. far too fiddly for me to replace anyway. Just thought i'd let you know.

most other ariels wont fit properly onto the celica body due to its curves.

a rubber bee sting may be an option , but for 40 quid please have a new mast installed by toyota.

Fill the hole, and paint it.

Get a thin wire ariel (from Maplin) and wrap it round your boot. Better reception, no horid rod and no breakages.

Fill the hole, and paint it.

Get a thin wire ariel (from Maplin) and wrap it round your boot. Better reception, no horid rod and no breakages.

How hard is this for an amateur ? I'd like to have a go but never done any bodywork before , gotta start somewhere though !

• 1 year later...
Well didn't have any luck with fixing this last weekend so I'm gonna disconnect it and rewire to something else to use as the ariel. far too fiddly for me to replace anyway. Just thought i'd let you know.

My antenna is stuck - just like yours - remains half way down when my stero turns off. I hear the motors whirring but eventually after a min or 2, the motors stop, with the arial poking out still.

So what's the work around in getting this fixed? Did wd40 do the trick or was it take it apart and clean it?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't use WD40 or any other lubricant on an electric aerial mast as after a while more crud will be collected and it will get worse. A regular wipe of a dry, lint free rag about once a week while the aerial goes up and down removes the dirt that causes probs. Try it, you will be amazed at how much crap comes off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links