Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Remote Alarm Probs

dan99

Hi I have an Avensis GLS 1.8 1998 with factory fitted remote alarm. My alarm was working fine with one of my keys (black with one lock, one unlock button), the other did not work. I bought some new batteries and after some swapping of battries I now find myself with both keys only being able to lock :angry: . I think that maybe the good key forgot its code because I left the battries out for too long??

So my question is how do I make the keys work again??

Hi,

My old Corolla had a remote alarm/locking with a rolling code whatsit (not factory fitted). I had it fitted at my local main Toyota dealer and they gave me two fobs. They explained to me about the rolling code business, i.e. the fob sending a different code each time to disarm/unlock the car, and my question to them at the time was that if you came to use your spare fob one day, how did the new fob know what code the other fob had sent the car when it locked it?

The dealer didn't seem to know, (presumeably it is to do with pseudo-random code geration), but he said that if I held down the unlock button continuously the new fob would eventually synchronise itself with the car and it should all work again. :hokus-pokus:

I never had to try this though, so it may not work, but it's worth a go.

Hope this helps.

Don't know if it applies to your car, but some makers with this rolling code alarm type. The keys can be re/syched with the car by sitting in the car with the engine running ( ie key in ignition) then pushing the lock/un-lock buttons.

I forget the exact sequence...but I know the key had to be in the ignition!! so give that a try...and pound away at the buttons ( holiding for a few secs etc....in various sequencies.. and see what happens.

Also try locking/unlocking the car from inside using the button in the car, in sequence with

using the key fob.

Of course this could be utter irrelevant to your motor....but it won't do any harm to try!!

Vipes

I'm in the same situation. Only one of my remote fobs work properly. The other only locks the car! :(

:thumbsup:

hi all i have that prob with my carina e 1996 cdx only 1 works but i had to take it into dealer about 8 months ago because both fobs stopped working :angry: they said they needed recoded and cost me 40 quid :angry: the problem was you have to use both fobs on a regular basis or they will lose the correct codes im not giving them another 40 quid again so its up to u guys if you wanna bring into dealer or not but try the pressing of both keys at same time i heard sometimes u can reset them by holding both lock and unlock keys for 10 seconds or something it should make a little beeping sound if reset but good luck anyways its not worked with mine lol :wacko::crybaby:

Hi

Just checked in the Avensis handbook about resynching the alarm/keys.

1.open drivers door when the key is not in the ignition.

2.put key in ignition,turn it on and wait 10 secs

3.press either LOCK or UNLOCK switch twice.you should hear a noise from the inside lock knob (whatever that is).

hope this is some help

Anybody tried to lock the doors using the remote with one door open yet? There is a little beeper under the bonnet that sounds a few times, presumably to tell you theres a door open. Strange the beeper isn't used for recognition of arm - disarm of the alarm etc. Just the indicators.

:thumbsup:

Personally I'm glad the alarm/beeper doesn't sound when I alarm/diasarm..what's the point apart from annoying folk at 2am in the morning when I got to work!

So we've now had two sugestions of sticking the key in the ignition..and activating the lock/unlock to resynch the alarm...has anyone tried it yet... if so did it work. Would be nice to have some feedback for others.

Vipes.

Well I tried all suggestions but it just ignores me, suppose I will have to take it to the dealer :angry:

I took it to my dealer yesterday and he charged me £20 to fix both keys.. They were very unwilling to talk about what they did to "resynchronise" the keys but one person talked about a fuse going on the key.

There was no evidence on the little circuit board of any soldering except for the Battery holder which looked as if it may have been removed and resoldered. The tracks to both sides of the unlock switch go under this Battery holder so maybe there is a surface mount fuse under it?? I'm not sure and I'm not going to mess with it again now its fixed but I guess its another clue in the mystery!

:blink: