Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con Control On T3-x

Aki

I now have an Avensis T3-X that has replaced my old Mk1 Avensis GS. On my old GS I usually left the air-con on ‘automatic’ enjoying its ability to maintain my selected temperature. I was also able to dictate the air flow, and I favoured most on the floor, with a bit on the face, and this was achieved by placing the dial in the required position. Automatic temperature control was maintained.

Now, on my T3-X, I again select ‘automatic’, but in the recent warm weather, I note the car selected to push the cold air to cool me solely out the facia vents. As mentioned, because I prefer to direst air to the floor, I selected air flow “floor/face” and was surprised to find the automatic setting turned itself off!

I have looked in the hand book, and sure enough on page 209 it states:

“In the automatic operation mode, the air conditioning selects the most suitable fan speed and air flow according to the temperature. You may use manual controls if you want to select your own settings.”

This seems a retrograde step to me. If you want to have automatic temperature control you must have the air delivered the way the car wants to, whereas the old GS allowed you to maintain automatic, AND decide how the air was to be delivered.

May be I’m being picky, but has anyone else noticed this? Am I correct in my interpretation here, or can this be overcome?

:angry:

i've noticed this most of the air come out of the face vents at first until the selected temp is reached then the direction of air seems to go to feet and face vents.

Hi,i think the difference is that your old Avensis was with dials,something like self-electronic,but your actual Avensis is fully electronic climate control.That's my point. :D But my old Peugeot 406 2.0HDI was with auto climate control with buttons/not dials/ and when i push the auto it works and i could choose where the air to blow and the auto continued working/to the floor and windscreen or to the face,there weren't function --to face and to floor both like in Toyota's/. :)

Hi,i think the difference is that your old Avensis was with dials,something like self-electronic,but your actual Avensis is fully electronic climate control.That's my point. :D But my old Peugeot 406 2.0HDI was with auto climate control with buttons/not dials/ and when i push the auto it works and i could choose where the air to blow and the auto continued working/to the floor and windscreen or to the face,there weren't function --to face and to floor both like in Toyota's/. :)

I'm not sure how intelligent the Avensis system is, but on some climate control systems like in my E Class it will direct the cold air to where it's most needed (I can hear the air flaps move and feel the diversion). In some systems like the Audi A8 it diverts air to the side where the sun is shining and actually points the flaps, as it has sun sensors.

i've noticed this most of the air come out of the face vents at first until the selected temp is reached then the direction of air seems to go to feet and face vents.

Steve - I think you are right, i have now noticed that once the car is cooler it does then revert to the setting I had requested in the first place!!

Well there you go... it's even more automatic than first appears! Question is, who's driving this thing?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how intelligent the Avensis system is, but on some climate control systems like in my E Class it will direct the cold air to where it's most needed (I can hear the air flaps move and feel the diversion).

I can hear the air flaps move in my Rolla as well.