Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Have Cooked My Brakes!

u47sb2

Yep, the topic title says it, no real damage done (i.e not warped) but the discs were glowing nice and red hot with that 'characteristic' smell from the pads.

Anyway I have decided it is time to upgrade the brakes a bit so was wondering what was out there in the way of reasonably cheap discs/pads.

Car is an almost bog-standard 1.0 on a y plate (registered 2001) with discs up front and drums on rear.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome...

steven

lol you have "Le Mans" style glowing discs on your yaris!

Sorry cant help you mate but i want to no about disc/pads aswell!

Yep, the topic title says it, no real damage done (i.e not warped) but the discs were glowing nice and red hot with that 'characteristic' smell from the pads.

That would have made a great picture :thumbsup:

A 1 ltr Yaris with glowing brakes... :yes:

Car is an almost bog-standard 1.0 on a y plate (registered 2001) with discs up front and drums on rear.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome...

steven

You could try a good driving instructor :rolleyes: ;) :D

try envy, they do the 3G discs not sure how much, endless pads would probably be out of your price range but i'm sure they could recommend something

That would have made a great picture :thumbsup:

A 1 ltr Yaris with glowing brakes... :yes:

Yeah, I wish I'd had my camera with me now! Considering they were glowing red they cooled down in only a couple of miles :D

As for getting a driving instructor - I had one - a friend that owns and knows how to drive a Scooby :thumbsup:

Once the brakes had cooked I was taught how to properly use gears for slowing down, only problem being that you don't get a lot of engine braking from a 1 litre, hence the need to think about new brakes!

Yeah, I have the EBC Greenstuff pads but you have to make sure you're ordering the right type.

There are these ones:- http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/image.asp?image=DP1446 (Bendix style - what I have)

and these ones:-

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/image.asp?image=DP21295 (for the T-Sport & maybe others...

It also depends on whether or not you have ABS (I see you've got an "S"). I'm loathe to ask, but what the heck were you doing to get your brakes into that state on the public road?

Hope that helps,

Alan

Yeah, have had a look at EBC Greenstuff pads. Also OMP do pads for the yaris from eBay . I take it EBC greenstuff is better as it seems to be mentioned more on the forum? I'm just not too sure on what are the correct ones - part DP1446 is 'original quality pad'; the upgrade quality pad is DP21446?

I'm also not sure if the car was manufactured 2001 or before i.e parts DP1446/DP21446 or DP1295/Dp21295 - is there a way of working this out from the chassis number? (it does have ABS)

Also will this help with the discs heating?

and I wasn't on public road when the brakes were at their hottest (private tarred road that leads up to a transmitter)

sorry for all the questions...

As for getting a driving instructor - I had one - a friend that owns and knows how to drive a SCOOBY :thumbsup:

That doesn't help your case... :D :P

Once the brakes had cooked I was taught how to properly use gears for slowing down, only problem being that you don't get a lot of engine braking from a 1 litre, hence the need to think about new brakes!

You don't really get good engine breaking in a lot of cars, as they are over a tonne in weight. :rolleyes:

You sure you didn't just forget to check your pads, let them grind down to the metal, and that's why the discs are hot? :P ;)

It also depends on whether or not you have ABS (I see you've got an "S").

Hope that helps,

Alan

I'd say he probably hasn't, I haven't got ABS on my GS & it's only a year older than it

You sure you didn't just forget to check your pads, let them grind down to the metal, and that's why the discs are hot? :P ;)

There's still plenty left on the pads, I'm not that much of a numpty :P

It was just a rather steep road which meant i was on the brakes more than i was off them going down!

I'd say he probably hasn't, I haven't got ABS on my GS & it's only a year older than it

It definetely does have ABS - think that's the only extra option it came with though

I'm also not sure if the car was manufactured 2001 or before i.e parts DP1446/DP21446 or DP1295/Dp21295 - is there a way of working this out from the chassis number? (it does have ABS)

Look at the number plate? Also i guess the before and after 01 is about phase change or is it within the phase 1 they just changed brake design? You could always ask in a garage or take a picture of yours and ask if they are the same as alan's

Also will this help with the discs heating?

The discs will help get rid of the build up of heat on the brakes best. Groved brakes allow the heat energy to get out along the grooves rather than building up on the flat disc. 3G 10 groves should be enough as this is what the Tsport owners who use it on track use. Also remember to allow the brakes to bed in before you go crazy on them as that way they will perform best afterwards.

"Original quality" is a straight replacement for your standard pad with a similar compound. Upgrade quality is the "Greenstuff" one. They do other levels for track use, but not for the Yaris... I don't know about OMP ones - I was recommended Greenstuff years ago by a friend who swears by them.

2001 onwards did have ABS as my "S" had it.

All I can say is that it must have been quite a road you were on...

A

I've heard of people baking their lights......... :lol:

The Greenstuffs are ok, no-one has the OMPs because they've only just become advertised I guess??

Once the brakes had cooked I was taught how to properly use gears for slowing down,

Unfortunately if you did that for test you probably would have failed. It is an unacceptable method of driving nowadays and unnecessary as everything is going ECO driving. The eco markings are already on the sheet for some tests and next year will be used for cars.

I thought all Yaris had ABS ???

Unfortunately if you did that for test you probably would have failed. It is an unacceptable method of driving nowadays and unnecessary as everything is going ECO driving. The eco markings are already on the sheet for some tests and next year will be used for cars.

I have long past my test (if you count 4 years as long :) ). This was a bit of instruction from a friends as to how to drive 'quickly' and it wasn't on public road :thumbsup:

I had a good look at the brakes today just to make sure everything was OK and it appears to be fine - the cooking seemed to do no damage other than take a few months life off the pads :lol: Still drives/stops fine too.

Think I will invest in a set of Greenstuff pads - I've a funny feeling I'll be spending a lot of the summer starting to modify it!

Next time I'll def take my camera and get some photos.

Steven

Quick thing, wont the uprated brakes lead to more overheating? :wacko: As surely uprated pads just have a more abrasive surface and so cause more friction so stop you quicker. However more friction = more heat so surely heat will build up just as much? I would of thought pads to stop you quicker, discs with grooves to cool them off? Just my view. O and if your also looking at brakes decent 5.1 fluid and braided lines seems to be everyone elses most valued bang for buck braking mod!

Quick thing, wont the uprated brakes lead to more overheating? :wacko: As surely uprated pads just have a more abrasive surface and so cause more friction so stop you quicker. However more friction = more heat so surely heat will build up just as much? I would of thought pads to stop you quicker, discs with grooves to cool them off? Just my view. O and if your also looking at brakes decent 5.1 fluid and braided lines seems to be everyone elses most valued bang for buck braking mod!

That was my thinking, thanks for confirming it in my mind. Money is fairly tight at the moment so it will just be pads at the moment and lots of trying not to over-heat the discs. New discs maybe by the end of summer (and not grooved discs as I'm told these will wear out pads quite quickly; drilled discs avoid this?)

Not sure but i also dont think quickly is THAT quickly as the guys on here using theres with occasional track use dont seem to be changing that regularly! If your using them hard i would take the fact they will need upgrading more often anyway as course they will regardless. Yes grooves may not help but i dont think its anything too drastic! I wait for someone else who has them to confirm how long they have had them etc!

and not grooved discs as I'm told these will wear out pads quite quickly; drilled discs avoid this?

Barely.

Cross drilled rotors however have this rather annoying tendency to shatter.

Nope, they must be an optional extra because mine doesn't

Nope, they must be an optional extra because mine doesn't

Think it was optional extra on the P1's, but it's standard on the P2's. ;)

T-Sports I think it's been on since day 1?