Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought A Rav 4 And It's Dripping!

Yella

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum. My girlfriend has just bought a Y reg Rav 4 and we've noticed that something is dripping from the back. It's not water because we saw the mark on the floor yesterday morning and it hasn't evaporated yet (there is no actual liquid but the mark is still there). It doesn't have any particular smell though.

Anyway I've taken a photo of the underneath from the rear and was hoping someone might be able to help. It will be going back to the dealer anyway but it would be helpful if we knew what the problem was beforehand.

Thanks in advance.

DSC00230.jpg

Have you had the air conditioning on, if fitted to the car and been using it? If so I would think it was from that. this is quite normal. You say its from the back of the car ? Not have a RAV4 I am unfamilier where the air con outlet is placed. Maybe a call to your local toyota dealer will clarify this point.

I presumed that you have done the normal checks ie radiator -screen washer container etc etc.

Hope this is the answer to your problem

Realspeed

Have you had the air conditioning on, if fitted to the car and been using it? If so I would think it was from that. this is quite normal. You say its from the back of the car ? Not have a RAV4 I am unfamilier where the air con outlet is placed. Maybe a call to your local toyota dealer will clarify this point.

I presumed that you have done the normal checks ie radiator -screen washer container etc etc.

Hope this is the answer to your problem

Realspeed

As reelspeed said above..this could be to do with the air con (if fitted) also is the damp patch on the exhaust to do with your 'dripping' as it is right above the patch in your photo..... Is it a Diesel or Petrol model....

Yeah we do have air con and we have been using it so that could explain it, would the fluid from the air con system not evaporate fully? We did presume that the drip was coming from the area of the exhaust due to the wet patch cos it certainly hasn't been raining. And it's a petrol.

Cheers for the help guys.

For some unknown reason the water residue always seems to take longer to evaporate than normal.

Quick tip man to man, good time to see how good your girlfriend is with a mop and bucket, no harm in training them from the start :thumbsup:

Realspeed

Yeah we do have air con and we have been using it so that could explain it, would the fluid from the air con system not evaporate fully? We did presume that the drip was coming from the area of the exhaust due to the wet patch cos it certainly hasn't been raining. And it's a petrol.

Cheers for the help guys.

The dripping from the air con outlet is not always water but fluid residue created when used. I Remember when my old Lagune broke the heater matrix behind the dash... filled the passenger foot well with greasy fluid like substance.. needed new carpets and air con system... car park at work looks like every one has srung a leak with all the patches left in the bays....

O buy the way there is a new mop on the market that holds more fluids than any other.....going buy Realspeed's idea ;) ;) :wacko:

:thumbsup:

Just a quick question. Is the aircon drain at the rear of the mark2 Rav4 then? The mark 1 is at the front. Unless of course it's just running along the bottom of the car due to the way it's parked.

The only sources of fluid I can think of at the rear of the car are the sunroof drains, petrol tank and the rear differential. Although, it can't be the diff because that is oil and therefore would be obvious.

:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick question. Is the aircon drain at the rear of the mark2 Rav4 then? The mark 1 is at the front. Unless of course it's just running along the bottom of the car due to the way it's parked.

The only sources of fluid I can think of at the rear of the car are the sunroof drains, petrol tank and the rear differential. Although, it can't be the diff because that is oil and therefore would be obvious.

:unsure:

Looks like oil or antifreeze to me. Water would evaporate leaving no trace on the exhaust.