Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spun My Mr2 On Friday...

JappyBeast

Got it back from the bodyshop friday morning after getting my nose cone filled and de-badged(pics to follow) looking sweet.. packed the car, filled the boot, filled the tank and headed for Scotland.

Rained all the way.. came to a roundabout at Newcastle and the Mondaneo infront went into a semi-slide but got away.. next thing I know is that the back end totally slipped away! It was like I was on ice, the car did a 180 and I was facing on coming traffic, but dont worry chaps.. due to my skill (yeah right) I managed to stay clear of the kerb so I didnt hit anything. Must have hit a patch of diesel or oil, and with all the weight from the luggage and fuel in the rear.

As I was spinning flashes of my new front end getting smashed up were running thru my head. :crybaby:

So eveything is fine and my baby still looks fantastic!

Hope you enjoyed my wee story there.

Scary stuff indeed. A similar thing happend to me some years ago. There used to be a very sharp bend down a country lane near where I used to live. The farmer who owned the farm next to the road never cleared the mud up after he drove muddy vehicles down the lane. One day, I was comming down said lane and managed to spin the car 180 degrees . The funny (or perhaps I should say lucky) thing was I was only doing around 5MPH at the time. Fortunately nothing was damaged, otherwise I'd have prosecuted the farmer - since there were no signs and he's supposed to display those at least by law if not more.

The worse ones were the rev 1 and ones. After that they were sorted a bit. My mr2 used to spin easily, until i put in a field :crybaby:

i once did nearly a 360 in a crap old sierra 1.6 outside buckingham palace! i kid u not. went round the corner - afternoon, had been raining but not now - 10mph! god bless rear wheel drive eh! :thumbsup:

The worse ones were the rev 1 and ones. After that they were sorted a bit. My mr2 used to spin easily, until i put in a field :crybaby:

Parkers Guide says to buy a rev1 as they are the most exciting to drive! They say all the other versions are tame...lol. Not sure I like the idea of the back end stepping out on the wet when I boot it but it does look good when she twitches as all the horses go to the rear wheels.

Glad I didnt hit anything..

Have to say driving mine in the wet is...erm...interesting...it's not just cornering either, can't get the power down in a straight line either :( 4wd conversion here we come!! :D

4wd conversion here we come!!  :D

I have heard of someone that converted an MR2 to 4WD, but it cost like £4.5K ish.. :blink: Don't they have to replace pritty much the whole of the front car suspension and wheel base? :blink: Sounds like it would have a massive effect on the cars handleing.. :blink:

Anyone know someone that has had it done, or somewhere that does it?

A 4WD conversion on an MR2 would be fiendiously difficult - mainly because of the location of the engine, and mainly because the car is designed to be 2WD. You would also lose power, and I doubt the handling would be that much improved - perhaps even worsened.

I'm guessing they fitted GT4 stuff to the conversion.

'89 saw the change from boxy 'better handling than a 348gtb' mark1 to the much better looking and much heavier mark 2 of which there are 5 revisions

Yeh I'm just finding out how interesting the 2 is in the wet, will be replacing the rear tyres in a couple of months by the looks of it anyway - what seems to be the best wets out there at a price a normal person would pay?

Where would the drive shaft go on a 4wd Mr2?.. you would have to lose the spare tyre and Battery to make room for the transfer box!

Yeh I'm just finding out how interesting the 2 is in the wet, will be replacing the rear tyres in a couple of months by the looks of it anyway - what seems to be the best wets out there at a price a normal person would pay?

I would recommend the Goodyear F1's ;) I have them all round (195/55/15 front & 225/50/15 rear) I paid around £200 for the rears and around £140 for the fronts through another club discount scheme (I wasn't a member of TOC at the time).

I have found that I only need to back off marginally in the wet now unlike when I had the old Falkens (mismatched tread pattern) on. There are some good tyre reviews by MR2 owners on IMOC.

Remember you get what you pay for ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links