Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driveshaft Removal

mikeb

Alright then, what holds the drive shaft into the diff?? According to my haynes manual it says that it's a spline type thing and it can just be levered out. But that's seriously not working. :(

Anyone know how it comes out?

What car is it?

'celica' in your profile is a bit generic!

Gen 5, ST182. I suspect the gen 4 and 6 are similar though??

Have you tried the other side??

I've only had to remove the drive shafts out of one vehicle and it's probably way different to a celica but anyway...

I wanted to take out the near side drive shaft but it just wouldn't shift so I went round to the offside and took that one out, slid straight out quite easily (with a little force) so atleast I knew I was doing it right by then!

I then went back to the near side and prised and hit with a hammer etc until it eventually shifted a few mm, then it was just a case of repeating the prising and hammering until it came out

As long as you have removed it from the hub assembly it will come out.

It is held in with a cir clip on the other side of the splines. if you get under the car and using a little chisel (what i used) and gently knock it in between the g'box housing and the inner joint, with the chisel being tapered, as it goes in it will push the joint apart. (knock it along the

As soon as the cir clip has cleared inside the box it will easily slide out. (Remember you will probably need a new oil seal)

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Hi,

which side shaft are you trying to remove?

The nearside(passenger) will just lever out from the diff once you have undone the bottom ball joint and swung it out of the way.

A small wire clip sits on the spines as you'll see when it is out.

The drivers side is a different matter.

It has an inner CV joint in a bracket bolted to the diff. This bracket has to be unbolted and if you do the ball joint as on the other side this one will lever out as well.

My drivers side did not have this wire clip but I don't think it is needed because of the said bracket.

Hope this helps and my info is correct as I am very new to Celicas but I've just removed and fitted both shafts.

john

dogrun.gif

Yes, it's the left hand drive shaft, and the outside end is dangling free - I have removed it from the hub carrier. So far i've tried with a 2 foot pry bar and I can't get it to budge, it's just bending the dust cover on the drive shaft. I will go and try the chisel method.

As GT4-D points out it`s held by a circlip. And as you are finding out, they can be right SOBs occasionally. Best way if your using the chisel is to shock it out. get the chisel in such a position so that once you`ve applied presure to the joint.you can welt it one with a lump hammer. Obviously this has its dangers so take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and anything that may come in contact with the hammer.

BTW. The circlip should really be replaced before refitting. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Got it out in the end - using a 3 foot jemmy from one side and a two foot one from the other. Can't get a replacement circlip in time, so I'm going to have to rebuild it with the existing one.

Also managed to remove the old wheel bearing from the hub carrier using a combination of a vice and a lump hammer. Going to get the new one pressed in properly so I don't damage it.

Got it out in the end - using a 3 foot jemmy from one side and a two foot one from the other. Can't get a replacement circlip in time, so I'm going to have to rebuild it with the existing one.

Also managed to remove the old wheel bearing from the hub carrier using a combination of a vice and a lump hammer. Going to get the new one pressed in properly so I don't damage it.

Well done Mike. Not the weather to be struggling & sweating with motors is it. Think i`ve managed to lose about two stone this week. :thumbsup:

Well done Mike. Not the weather to be struggling & sweating with motors is it. Think i`ve managed to lose about two stone this week. :thumbsup:

I wish I had lost 2 stone! :lol:

Got it all done in the end - new wheel bearing and hub fitted, and rebuilt the drive shaft with new boots at both ends. Also replaced the gearbox oil with fresh Motul 75w-90 - not convinced that the changes are as smooth as they were before though. If it gives me any trouble I guess I'll be swapping it for ATF. And whilst I was doing it I noticed my radiator is leaking where the bottom cap is crimped on. Not happy about that. :angry:

Oh yeah, while mine was off the road I borrowed my Mum's gen7 (140) a couple of times. Handles quite nicely, but felt really lacking in low down torque. :ph34r:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links