Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust Of On Crome Wheels?

Contagious

I go a 1980 toyota celica gt coupe, I am trying to restore this baby, But till i get the money saved up for the body work, i wanna work on the wheels i got on it. I got some crome wheels on her, but they got some rust on them, anybody have a good way of getting rust of crome wheels?

There not proper chrome mate, chrome doesnt rust. you might find they need painting after youve got the rust off. use some wheel cleaner to get it off, if its stubborn use a stiff brush.

Coke (not the white powder kind). Cokacola...........soak a clean rag in it and rub hard.....if stubbern bits stay pour coke and leave for about an hour..........

if you dont believe me..........just try it...........my old man has an '68 herald vetesse with chrome bumpers he used it all the time.....its cheaper than crome restorer :thumbsup:

its one of those things that i would never have believed if i hadnt seen it work myself.......because rust is actualy small holes on a smooth area the coke embeds into it and disolves it but cant get a grip on the crome. :thumbsup:

its one of those things that i would never have believed if i hadnt seen it work myself.......because rust is actualy small holes on a smooth area the coke embeds into it and disolves it but cant get a grip on the crome. :thumbsup:

Daft as it sounds HP sauce work as well.

Wonder what all this stuff does to your stomach lining :lol:

thats exactly the point mate......if you place a tooth in a glass of coke over night it will totally disolve by the morning...... :crybaby: scary thought really :thumbsup:

it also tastes refreshing and when served ice cold

:D

Crome does rust trust me, my wheels are crome, lol

Well he's right chrome (note the spelling old chap) does not rust, but,your wheels are steel coated in chrome, when rust appears on steel which has been coated with chrome, it means the tiny pinpricks in the chrome have let in water, you can't see the holes but they are there.

As for coke and HP sauce dissolving, simple chemistry really they are, or contain, acetic acid, which incidentally is the sort of thing in kettle descalers, so what the acid is doing is etching the surface of the metal, but due to the hardness of the chrome it is not quickly affected.

And before you become too smug about your chrome wheels you omitted the comment at the end, my wheels are chrome(plated) they have not rusted yet. ;)

They will unless you never get to drive on UK roads in winter.

thanks for the back up mate, i knew solid chrome doesnt rust.

i was doubting myself then, lol

More boring facts :huh:

stainless steel.

What could be added to steel to slow down the rusting process?

Easy, mix in chrome, as chrome is a very hard, brittle and heavy metal (which is why wheels are not made of it), it has a similar effect on steel, ie makes it harder and a lot heavier, strangely not so brittle though.

Anyone know what duralumin is comprised of? ( Or care for that matter ) ?

It is a very tough type of aluminium, but what has been added to make it so?

When was the discovery made, (I was suprised how old the discovery was)?

Anyway anorak back on the hook :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links