Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission Oil?

TCGT

Hi,

Halfords have just recommended Castrol Automatic Dexron 111 for my manual transmission.

Is this stuff ok as I had a bad feeling when pouring it in.

It's all red and thin and not what I expected.

john

dogrun.gif

Drain it out and put proper transmission oil in it ASAP.

Auto dexron is too thin and will trash the box, if not the seals.

Auto fluid will work from what i hear but it WILL destroy your gearbox faster. Some people use atf fluid on their GT4's to get quicker 0-60's and drag times. But the backdraw is nowhere near the kinda protection you get from proper manual trans fluid.

I'd agree with Sooty to be honest, your best off draining it and putting the proper stuff in. :thumbsup:

You can use either Dexron II ATF or 75w-90 EP oil. Either should be fine (just like it says in the handbook). ATF should give easier gear changes from cold than 75w-90, but with slightly less wear protection.

In addition to what mikes just said. If your prepared to pay the extra, then a synthetic 75w90 such as Tetrosyl 5-SX 75W90 synthetic, which is readily obtainable, is as good as ATF for cold weather etc, Tis very free flowing when cold (I know, i got a litre of it on my garage floor :ph34r: ) :thumbsup:

I just put Redline 75w90 into mine. This far everything seems pretty good, the gear changes are slick and I get no crunching. It's not cheap, but nothing is too good for my GT.. :thumbsup:

Hi everybody,

Moral of the story is go to the experts, :thumbsup: not Halfords. :crybaby:

After a few words with the manager he exchanged my empty incorrect containers for the correct full containers.

just have to find the drain plug now. please don't tell me there isn't one and the driveshaft has to come out again to empty it. :help:

thanks for the advice

john

dogrun.gif

(This is Jake by the way, our Potugese water dog who is always sat under me at the keyboard.)