Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is A Compressor Worth The Money?

Fmrl

I visited my local Toyota dealership yesterday and they had a CTS Compressor for sale - £15k with about 5k on the clock (ex-demo by the look of it). Seemed a bit expensive to me but I had a look on autotrader and most seem to be about that price.

Anyway, they only offered £7.5k for my CTS so I said I wasn't interested (even though they tried a bit of hard sell on me which put me off even more).

I think the CTSC is a nice looking car but the price seems a bit steep, I wonder if the dealers are keeping the prices aritifically high just because there's so few of them about. The one I saw yesterday doesn't appear to be shifting though, it's been on sale for a few weeks now.

Has anyone got a CTSC? Apart from the compressor has anything else been upgraded from the standard CTS? For example, IMO the clutch in a CTS is only barely adequate to cope with the VVTLi so sticking a comp on top is only going to make things worse.

I visited my local Toyota dealership yesterday and they had a CTS Compressor for sale - £15k with about 5k on the clock (ex-demo by the look of it). Seemed a bit expensive to me but I had a look on autotrader and most seem to be about that price.

Anyway, they only offered £7.5k for my CTS so I said I wasn't interested (even though they tried a bit of hard sell on me which put me off even more).

I think the CTSC is a nice looking car but the price seems a bit steep, I wonder if the dealers are keeping the prices aritifically high just because there's so few of them about. The one I saw yesterday doesn't appear to be shifting though, it's been on sale for a few weeks now.

Has anyone got a CTSC? Apart from the compressor has anything else been upgraded from the standard CTS? For example, IMO the clutch in a CTS is only barely adequate to cope with the VVTLi so sticking a comp on top is only going to make things worse.

Hello Mate,

I have the CTS 5 door on an 03 reg... I love my car and it has never let me down, as well as giving me thrills when i want it.

I have recently test driven a Compressor and i thought not very much about it to be honest. There is defintely a power and speed hike, and the deliver is manic to say the least. But to me that is its down fall.

The chassis nor the VSC can cope with this extra power and torque, and sometimes i found that it is slightly out of its depth in terms of being able to handle itself. I feel that my CTS has a good balance in terms of power delivery, comfort and speed and i love that because i use it as a commuting transport in a built up town.

My advise to you is to pick up a decent low milage CTS instead of the Compressor, you will find that it is a much better value purchase.

Hope this helps.

The chassis nor the VSC can cope with this extra power and torque, and sometimes i found that it is slightly out of its depth in terms of being able to handle itself.

I didn't go for a test drive but that was exactly what I was thinking as well.

My advise to you is to pick up a decent low milage CTS instead of the Compressor, you will find that it is a much better value purchase.

Hmmm, that's what I've got at the moment - I might as well just stick with it :)

BTW, I've just been looking on Autotrader (I should really stop doing that!) and I "accidentally" clicked on MR2s so I was just wondering about getting another one of them. :rolleyes:

Hello Mate,

I have the CTS 5 door on an 03 reg... I love my car and it has never let me down, as well as giving me thrills when i want it.

I have recently test driven a Compressor and i thought not very much about it to be honest. There is defintely a power and speed hike, and the deliver is manic to say the least. But to me that is its down fall.

The chassis nor the VSC can cope with this extra power and torque, and sometimes i found that it is slightly out of its depth in terms of being able to handle itself. I feel that my CTS has a good balance in terms of power delivery, comfort and speed and i love that because i use it as a commuting transport in a built up town.

Hope this helps.

hi i own a corolla compressor and believe it is a totally different car .handle is 100% better if you have a look underneath the wheel arches you will see not a standard suspension that, has been removed and all uprated fitted .it has rain sensitive wipers ,auto diming rear veiw mirror to stop dazzle.not to mention white dials ,sports pedals,and obvious external looks.when you get used to driving the car it awesome it is worth the extra money but play the dealers off with each other to get the price down you will not be disappointed. :thumbsup: :D :D :D

Hello Mate,

Hope this helps.

hi i own a corolla compressor and believe it is a totally different car .handle is 100% better if you have a look underneath the wheel arches you will see not a standard suspension that, has been removed and all uprated fitted .it has rain sensitive wipers ,auto diming rear veiw mirror to stop dazzle.not to mention white dials ,sports pedals,and obvious external looks.when you get used to driving the car it awesome it is worth the extra money but play the dealers off with each other to get the price down you will not be disappointed. :thumbsup: :D :D :D

by the way performance is awesome :thumbsup:

You get all these things on the standard Corolla T Sport facelift! :P

Considering the book price new is £20k and that Civic TypeRs are about £16k, that's about right for the exclusivity... :thumbsup:

BTW, I've just been looking on Autotrader (I should really stop doing that!) and I "accidentally" clicked on MR2s so I was just wondering about getting another one of them. :rolleyes:

Me too! MR2s are on my list for what to buy next! :)

You get all these things on the standard Corolla T Sport facelift! :P

Considering the book price new is £20k and that Civic TypeRs are about £16k, that's about right for the

exclusivity... :thumbsup:

i agree the t sport is a great car my last car was just that but the compressor goes one step further you dont have to wait for that kick at 6000rpm you got it right through the range .and only being 250 in this country makes them that little bit more special . :D

Me too! MR2s are on my list for what to buy next! :)

I had a compressor, it fast in a straight line by like another poster said, the torque / power is just too much for the chasis. The 0-60 speed i clocked faster than the official value too.

It drinks petrol like theres no tomorrow. Its thrilling and fun yes but its not a sports car. I'd much prefer to see effort put into supercharged engines for mr2's and celica's. I had a real bad burning on the back box too which dissapointed me. The VSC malfunctioned too only to be cured by a thrashing.

I changed cars for other reasons too but the depreciation of a the compressor is v.high, they are limited which justifies the new sale cost for toyota but only for real enthusiasts 2bh. Dont get me wrong its a really thrilling drive but for the money i would very much consider buying a astra xtr or a focus ST you get more for your money and they driver better.

GL

I paid nearly 8k for my T-Sport which is nearly half the price of the compressor - is the compressor twice as good - personally I dont think so.....

The exhausts and wheels look great tho!

I was interested in owning one of these until I found out the following;

1. Supercharger does not have an Intercooler

2. Supercharger does not use an electronic clutch

3. How do you run forced induction on such a high compression engine?

4. Brakes not upgraded

5. I blew one away not so long ago too easily

Nad

I was interested in owning one of these until I found out the following;

1. Supercharger does not have an Intercooler

2. Supercharger does not use an electronic clutch

3. How do you run forced induction on such a high compression engine?

4. Brakes not upgraded

5. I blew one away not so long ago too easily

Nad

1. for which reason ??? for 23 extra-hp (or 33hp in GER) you don't need one.

Also it's very difficult to build the intercooler into the car. There is no space for the pipes.

2. Are you really sure ? The first supercharger-models (with 240 and 235 hp) have one !

3. Because it works :D Benami run their supercharged CTS (270+hp , ok , they have only 240-250hp ;) ) also without lowered compression. Or Komo-Tec Elise with 261hp have also the same compression

4. You can upgrade it by Toyota/TTE (but it's fu**ing expensive)

5. Yeah ,could be ;) ... that bring us to the question ..

Is A Compressor Worth The Money?

NO ! (In comparison to a "normal" CTS)

It isn't soo much faster in accelaration , the "kick" is ... well , where is it ? :D

The topspeed is pseudo ... you need a long distance to achive it .... over 210 kph the CTSc take the same long time like a CTS ! Everyone I know which drove a CTSc in comparison to their own CTS said the same : "Well it's a little bit faster , but it isn't worth !"

And if you got a (self-)lowered CTS (with springs or better with a suspension kit) the performance is much better than in a CTSc.

15k is good price well worth a look if you are after one ,then again you have to ask yourself why are the toyota supercharge cts's drop 5k in there first year ?.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links