Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

System Too Lean ?

mavrik2k3

Hi.

I'm wondering if any of the good people can help out there :)

I have a "01" plate Toyota avensis vvti GS, I have had a warning light pop up on the intrument panel,this was checked buy someone who had the equipment to plug in and fault find, 1st time it was checked, it came up P0172 System too lean bank 2 the light was reset and i contacted Toyota ,who said they would "get back to me" and a week later still no call ,, then the light came on again ,,and a second check was made , this time fault was P0171 - system too lean bank 1,, any body know what i could? as its showing two differant numbers i didnt want to take it to toyota for them to change unessary parts. or if someoen could tell me a possible fix?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Any one in the know ?

still hunting the for a answer :unsure:

Hi.

I'm wondering if any of the good people can help out there :)

I have a "01" plate Toyota avensis vvti GS, I have had a warning light pop up on the intrument panel,this was checked buy someone who had the equipment to plug in and fault find, 1st time it was checked, it came up P0172 System too lean bank 2 the light was reset and i contacted Toyota ,who said they would "get back to me" and a week later still no call ,, then the light came on again ,,and a second check was made , this time fault was P0171 - system too lean bank 1,, any body know what i could? as its showing two differant numbers i didnt want to take it to toyota for them to change unessary parts. or if someoen could tell me a possible fix?

Thanks in advance

Probably a fault getting thrown by the O2 sensor since it's seeing something unexpected but probably not an O2 sensor fault. Gut feeling is it's the air flow meter in the air intake. As they degrade over service life they tend to start giving false readings to the ECU that get it to lean up the mixture

I agree with Black Knight. It is probably the Mass Airflow Meter (MAF). But there is no need to change it since the degaradation is caúsed by deposit build up on the hot wires in the sensor and the wires can be cleaned. Do a google search on "Cleaning of MAF" or check this link.

P0171

I agree with Black Knight. It is probably the Mass Airflow Meter (MAF). But there is no need to change it since the degaradation is caúsed by deposit build up on the hot wires in the sensor and the wires can be cleaned. Do a google search on "Cleaning of MAF" or check this link.

P0171

Many thanks ...will give this a go.

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links