Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cycle Carriers

kevjackson

Hi, Been looking on t'internet for a wheel mounted cycle carrier.

Anyone got one? Any advice on what I should buy?

I really don't want to have to pay to have a towbar fitted just so I can fit a towbar cycle rack, just to take the kids bikes on holiday, it just seems such a waste of money.

SO any advice is greatly received, and of anyone knows where I can get one cheap, or a member is selling one, I'm interested!

Kev

Welcome to the forum Kev.

You could try www.thule.co.uk for roof bars and cycle rack but that can get expensive. Alternatively, I think they come up some times on eBay so might be worth a look. But be careful to make sure you get all the parts you'll need.

Hi

Bear in mind that wheel mounted carriers have a weight limit of about 2 bikes plus you will need a light board which in turn means you will need electrics.

Also you will need to remove the wheel cover and its possible you will also need to remove the back plate of the cover as well - a lot of hassle in my view, even if only done infrequently.

Towbar carriers can go upto 4 bikes plus you have the added benefit of a towbar should you ever need one.

Hi Kev

I looked in to this earlier in the year the only one that will that will fit is the pendle one

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/bike/pendle-...l-bike-rack.htm

but as mic said you need to remove the cover/wheel & need a lighting board + electrics if the bikes block the lights a lot of hassle,also their not cheap £142.00 :eek: i,m going down the roofmounted route(got genuine toyota bars off E-Bay £40) :thumbsup:

Regards

Chris

I thought about the roof mount option but how on earth do you lift the bikes up so high without dropping them on the roof or seriously risk damaging the paintwork on the way up.

But I agree this would be the cheapest option.

I Bought a light bike with Quick release front wheel & will be getting a Thule outride bike carrier http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____...?epslanguage=EN

so i don't have to lift it quite so high but there's still a risk of damaging the paintwork but the same could be said for most other ways of carrying a bike ,they all have to be lifted quite close to the car just not as high

Just been through all this myself and ended up fitting a tow bar and using a Pendle unit.

Roof systems - roof very high for lifting, risk of damage, muddy bikes drip all over roof ...

Spare wheel system - risk of over-loading mount / hinges, still need electrics for light board, needed 3 bike capacity, Thule USA do a really neat unit but not imported into UK (even contacted Thule to ask and contact was very negatative !!).

Went for tow bar option - yes expensive solution but allows me to carry up to 4 bikes very securely, with the option of towing should it ever crop up. I already had the Pendle kit from a former car so decision was also biased (but remember you too will have that advantage in the longer term if choosing a similar solution).

FYI I have the TTE twin exhaust and had to extensively modify the tow bar to fit my Witter bar - if anyone else has this issue contact me for info. if it helps ...

Andy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links