Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wtd: May Need A Cynos Beta 5efhe From Japan Etc...

riko666

Well as the title says, I may be in the market for a new 5efhe, preferrably a low mileage version from an el54 Cynos Beta in Japan (or UK if there are any) if possible...id like to retain it as original as possible with the acis and whatnot.

As I said, I may need said engine, so I'm just trying to gain sources now - it depends on how much the predicted labor cost is for the rebuild, my mom's mechanic gave the typical mechanic's response of "labor is going to be so expensive that it'll be more convenient to source an engine in Japan, probably £500, and fit it for £500", so on monday im taking it to my friend's dad to give it a thorough look-over and a predicted cost.

if anyone know's where i can find such an engine, or has a contact in japan that can source me such an engine, please let me know, thanks

the only thing i would say with getting a new engine in, is that the engine you get may be low mileage, but you may find that 10,000 miles down the road that you're faced with the same problems your trying to solve right now.

i was lucky when i did mine, but i know a few people who have fitted a new motor, and then ended up spending more on that than they would have if they got the old motor fixed.

obviously being an import engine its gonna be expensive to get recon'd, but i would give the new engine some thought first.

Rich.

faced with the same problems your trying to solve right now.

i was lucky when i did mine, but i know a few people who have fitted a new motor, and then ended up spending more on that than they would have if they got the old motor fixed.

Theres alot of truth in there, I think all these 5efe/5efhe are all getting abit smokey because they're all over 10 years old so the valve stem oil seals are getting brittle. And because you have to push them hard to make the car go anywhere fast, they've all had a bit of a thrashing at somepoint.

What ever engine you get to rebuild, it just needs a nice clean bore. Everything else can be swapped or grinded/skimmed etc. Well that my plan anyway, thus why i'm using my original engine.

Good advice from the above answers.

I rebuilt my 5E-FHE myself with no real problems. It's an easy engine to work on. Parts are readily available from Toyota or your local motor factors.

The 5E-FHE was standard in the Sera so you could try Andrew at www.toyotasera.co.uk for a replacment if that's the way you want to go. BUT, as it's been stated, there's no guarantee that you won't be in the same boat a year or so down the line. ( Sera never had the ACIS system as standard though )

thats what i was thinking too, i DON'T want to replace the engine ideally with another 5efhe for the reasons you guys pointed out, but if the mechanic spoke the truth (I somehow doubt it) I would've gotten the a spare 5efhe whilst the other one gets rebuilt, then id sell/part out the spare...

I dunno, its just the prospect of it costing so much is a bit overwhelming at this moment in time, didnt expect to have to do this rebuild JUST yet...

burns oil at startup - valve stem oil seals

burns oil whenever throttle is depressed - piston rings

audible rattle at about 2500rpm - main bearings

and well, ive been driving the car with the oil problems for quite a few miles now, recently did a 320mi journey, used up 2L of oil - hopefully I haven't scored the crank and cylinder bores too...on top of that im replacing the rod bearings, fitting a complete gasket set, maybe new headbolts...and well a new cambelt is due in about 1000mi, so need to buy stuff for that too