Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Free-tronic/mmt Clutchless Transmission

Bee

I have been reading about the Free-Tronic/MMT clutchless transmission. I want to know how it works with a view to an insight to its proper maintenance*. So far what I have come across are fairly vague and superficial explanations. Essentially my reading suggests that it is a simple system of solenoids operating the clutch disc on the flywheel, switching on and off by shifting the gear stick. That's about it! I cannot help but feel that information on the subject is deliberately withheld from the public and is available only to Toyota dealerships. Can anyone help? A pointer to a website, if available, of a tutorial would be equally as fine.

This article on dual clutch transmissions (DCTs) is interesting:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ref/dual-clu...ion.htm?cid=s16

But I hardly think the Free-Tronic fits the description. The Yaris I have did not cost much more than the manual version. Furthermore, at the conclusion of the article, it says,"Currently, production automobiles equipped with DCTs are available only in Europe. These include the Volkswagen Beetle, Golf, Touran, and Jetta as well as the Audi TT and A3; the Skoda Octavia; and the Seat Altea, Toledo and Leon.... Ford is the second major manufacturer to commit to dual-clutch transmissions, made by Ford of Europe...However, production vehicles using a first generation Powershift are approximately two years away....".

*To wit, on p249 of the Owner's Manual, checking the Free-Tronic fluid level is okay, but "Do not add the fluid in an unauthorized manner....To add the fluid, always contact your Toyota dealer".

--

Bee.

Very little is written about the MMT system.

Maybe you could contact Toyota PR to see if they can help you

Renault have published a bit about their Quickshift 5 system which is similar to the MMT

If it's similar to the Renault, then it is a manual gearbox, with electrically controlled shift and clutch.

Operated as a manual, the Renault version makes for a very smooth change (a touch slow), so long as you ease off the gas when changing gear.

Richard.

If it's similar to the Renault, then it is a manual gearbox, with electrically controlled shift and clutch.

Operated as a manual, the Renault version makes for a very smooth change (a touch slow), so long as you ease off the gas when changing gear.

Richard.

That is what I have been telling the folk on these forums for nearly the last two years :rolleyes:

Previous to that I owned a Clio with a Quickshift box.(they only have two pedals - Gas and Brake)

I dissagree with you about easing off the gas, the computer does all that for you on the Quickshift and the MMT when in Auto (E) mode

I dissagree with you about easing off the gas, the computer does all that for you on the Quickshift and the MMT when in Auto (E) mode

We now have a Modus, and it's definately better to ease off when in Manual - the change is much smoother.

In Auto, it's not easy to predict when the change will occur, so, I agree it's best to leave the computer to it.

Richard