Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silly Question From A Troubled Mind

Coyote!

Hiya guys

A little story...

well the thing is that today as I was driving back home, after passing the tolls cabin, I started to ascelerate as usual to reach the speed limit.

Beside me there was a black and shiny civic coupe (nicely modded :thumbsup: BTW) and I simply decided to pull a little harder, just for fun. I stopped at 3000 RPM in 5th (its a Turbodiesel - 2CT) as I always do, because I'm unable to go beyond that since a blew an engine off at 175 Km/h!!! (that engine had forged pistons, Renault Alpine's carburetors, very high compression, all in a Renault 12 1.4L, ready to fly!!!, I can give you that).

Since that very day, I cannot rev any engine anymore, I SIMPLY CANT :crybaby:

So my friends of TOC, I need some words of confidence, I cant continue suffering thinking that im going to blow it again!

I know that engines are designed up to its 75%, to make them safe and reliable. But What if I drive it at 3500~ 4000 rpm sometimes or more often? Would it damage it, reduce life, etc?

Diesel engines are not for high revs, but what are high revs for them? more than what?

I dont know, this psicological issue is driving me mad :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Anyway, I wanted to share my sorrow with you....

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

PS: Tomorrow cheer up for ARGENTINA!!!!! :P

My car gets the nuts rev'd off it a lot of the time. Mainly because it gets used on track a fair bit, but also because how the engine management controlls things. TVIS kicks in at 4300rpm, maximum horse power is at around 6600rpm and maximum torque is at around 5300rpm IIRC.

The way I see it is that engines/ECU's have rev limiters for a reason and any revving under load to any level of rpm below that level should be fine. I have only ever hit my limiter once on track and never on the road. There are race build 4A-GE engines about (Formula Atlantic Series) which have the rev limits raised to well over 10 000rpm, but these are race engines which get rebuilt frequently.

Deisels are different though, my company car has it's limiter set really low and it comes in at 4000rpm. I hit it a fair few times without realising :rolleyes:

It's a French car so I expect the engine to fail regardless of revving near the limiter or not :lol:

Simple answer.

The car that blew was French. It's designed to explode.

My brother has a passat 19 tdi sport. He has a star performance switchable mapping set up. you should see this thing kick. He does not bother about the rev limiting when he is gunning it simply gets a quick change in after the acceleration rate slows a bit it's up another gear. He has had this for over ayear now and it has not blown yet. He loves his motor and I am sure I have seen his needle close to 5,000 rpm.

It was probably the high compression in your old motor that contributed to it blowing.

Did the old motor also hav a rev limiter?

Newer cars are designed to be practically bullet-proof.

You'd have to do a fair amount of damage in order for it to blow.

I take mine up to 5000rpm in the first few gears, or even near enough redline it. I just like hearing that piggy squeal... :D

Taking it upto 4000rpm is perfectly safe as this is where you will get the maximum power :thumbsup:

After that and you will probably notice it seems to run out of steam and will need to go up a gear ;)

Does anyone knows if the 2C-T has rev limiter? o if the ecu has a "track day" option? Just curious, Because I won't use it unless is totally necessary (like when I was chased by some guys that tryed to steal my car...)

Its also true that diesels above 4000 rpm loose power, so its better to keep it there. @ 4000 RPM in 5th your are scratching the 160 KM/h, too much for a td, IMHO.

Martin you said that the passat had that switchable ecu, and what about the turbo pressure?, should it increase it too...

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

ps: remember to cheer up for ARGENTINA!!!!!

When I had a td pug I revved it as much as possible :lol: I hated the car and kind of hoped it would blow up :lol:

After two years it probably ran better than it did to start with