Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wonky Steering Wheel

GEN6GT

I have recently acqired a my 1998 Rav4. The steering wheel has picked up a characterful tilt somewhere in its past that I would rather do without! Instead of orientating itself at a quarter to three in the cross spoke when driving straight it reads the wrong time: twenty to two!

Of course if it did not have an airbag all would be simple - however I do not want to risk an explosive meeting of wheel and socket set.

Any hints as to whether one can disarm the thing and how you get to the boss nut without blowing your head off?

The steering wheel being off centre is one of the signs that the tracking is out.. being a 4x4 it is better to get a full global geometric check carried out.. this should not only make sure that the tracking/castor and camber are fine.. but it should centre the steering wheel without having to remove it.

The steering wheel being off centre is one of the signs that the tracking is out.. being a 4x4 it is better to get a full global geometric check carried out.. this should not only make sure that the tracking/castor and camber are fine.. but it should centre the steering wheel without having to remove it.

Thanks for that. The steering feels absolutely fine with no sign of wander or wobble. The tyres look great (but they are new!). The steering wheel spokes really are a good 10 degrees off level, perhaps more.

What kind of outfit would do a complete 4-wheel check and how much do you think that might cost?

:thumbsup:

Ask locally for anyone who can do it.. maybe your local tyre dealer will do it.. or point you in the right direction... as for price.. maybe around £50, avoid the dealers.. it will be closer to £100 in a dealer.

The fact the the steering wheel is off centre is only a POSSIBILTY that the tracking is out..

To save me typing it out again...... this might help.

It IS a sign that the tracking COULD be out, one of a few symptoms.. the actual toe settings of the car could be spot on, but the "centre line" of the car COULD be slightly out.. this is what makes a car "crab" along the road (appears to be driving slightly sideways) but because the toe settings are ok, it won't wear tyres out.

The way the tracking is done.. guages are hung on the front wheels and a laser shines across the front axle giving the toe settings.. a laser is also shined/shone/shoned (laugh.gif) down the side of the car to the rear guages (rear flags) if these beams are both pointing to the same number on the scale on the rear flags, the car's centre line will be right.. however, if these are pointing to different numbers,(or even just slightly off perfect) then the centre line won't be right and the steering wheel won't sit straight (the amount it will sit off centre depends how far out the rear flags are).. remember, as i said earlier, the front toe settings can be fine even if the back flags are out... so, it depends on how much it is annoying you wheather or not you feel it would be worth getting the tracking adjusted to straighten up the steering wheel.

Remember, doing the tracking only adjusts the toe settings, not the castor and camber angles.. on a 4x4 it is advisable to get a geometric check done instead of normal tracking.

Ask locally for anyone who can do it.. maybe your local tyre dealer will do it.. or point you in the right direction... as for price.. maybe around £50, avoid the dealers.. it will be closer to £100 in a dealer.

The fact the the steering wheel is off centre is only a POSSIBILTY that the tracking is out..

To save me typing it out again...... this might help.

It IS a sign that the tracking COULD be out, one of a few symptoms.. the actual toe settings of the car could be spot on, but the "centre line" of the car COULD be slightly out.. this is what makes a car "crab" along the road (appears to be driving slightly sideways) but because the toe settings are ok, it won't wear tyres out.

The way the tracking is done.. guages are hung on the front wheels and a laser shines across the front axle giving the toe settings.. a laser is also shined/shone/shoned (laugh.gif) down the side of the car to the rear guages (rear flags) if these beams are both pointing to the same number on the scale on the rear flags, the car's centre line will be right.. however, if these are pointing to different numbers,(or even just slightly off perfect) then the centre line won't be right and the steering wheel won't sit straight (the amount it will sit off centre depends how far out the rear flags are).. remember, as i said earlier, the front toe settings can be fine even if the back flags are out... so, it depends on how much it is annoying you wheather or not you feel it would be worth getting the tracking adjusted to straighten up the steering wheel.

Remember, doing the tracking only adjusts the toe settings, not the castor and camber angles.. on a 4x4 it is advisable to get a geometric check done instead of normal tracking.

Great, thanks for that info. I've found a couple of local tyre dealers offering 4-wheel alignment, I'll have a word with them.

:thumbsup:

Turned out the toe in was way out on one of the front wheels. By adjusting both track rod ends it was possible to straighten the steering wheel too!

Thanks for all the advice guys. :thumbsup::thumbsup: